• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hanging at height with madrock

I use oplux with madrock to climb and tether. I put an autoblock below the safeguard after settling in.

Technically yes. It would probably take something extreme or a long prusik to create the disaster your describing. But not impossible. I will probably start backing up above and just practice rappelling without the backup below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technically yes. It would probably take something extreme or a long prusik to create the disaster your describing. But not impossible. I will probably start backing up above and just practice rappelling without the backup below.

I'm probably speaking out of turn because I've never used a Madrock nor rappelled from a saddle setup (rappelled once as a kid off rocks). Having said that, could you keep a prusik loop in your pack, put it around the bottom before lowering yourself, and then remove the top one (or some variation on that theme)? I'm just throwing things at the wall because I'm bored but want everyone to be as safe as possible.

I currently one-stick climb and hang with the madrock. Use a short prusik backup on the tail at height. It can’t get within 12” of the madrock before it takes the full weight. Then I rappel on the same. However I am considering switching to climbing on a prusik to lighten the rope up while one-sticking up. Then tying in with the madrock at height.

I climb on a tether with a Kong KISA, then switch to the rappel line and Madrock at height. I tie a figure eight on a bight a couple feet below the Madrock and clip it into the carabiner as a "gotcha loop" in case the Madrock fails.

8mm Resc Tech. Madrock. No back up.
When I'm hunting I often adjust the length of the tether as I move around the platform and tree. A backup prusik would just get in the way, cause too much movement to adjust, and potentially cost me valuable seconds during a quick shot opportunity.

I also use madrock with resc tech or Oplux and leave a little room for adjustment but I tie an alpine butterfly below the madrock and clip to the carabiner for backup.

Back