• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Headed to Guam for Sambar deer

ThePennsylvanian

Well, I'll be leaving this weekend for a fun in the sun, and jungle critter chasing! I'll be toting my saddle and xbow along, as their deer season in open until March 31 and Hogs are on the grocery list year round. I'm pretty stoked about that part of the trip!
Last time I was there, some of the deer I was seeing were easily the same size or bigger than whitetails. Not all but some.

I was curious if anyone had ever hunted sambar before, or even more specific, hunted Guam before?

That’s freaking awesome! Didn’t even know you could hunt Guam. Good luck and be careful out there!

Wow, I fell asleep and wake up to 10 posts!

I watched those videos when they came out, last year I thunk, but completely forgot about that. I actually did have the chance to kill a Vancouver bull in the big island when I lived in Hawaii. It was an experience, and a strange excitement, definitely different from your typical hunt.

This time, I'll have quite a bit of time to hunt. I'm very excited to on the ground and get learning.

What island are you going to? Hunting is pretty good on all the islands, but the each have different animals.
Oahu, Maui, and Hawaii over a two-week span. I’d only have sufficient time for a hunt or fishing trip on Hawaii. But truth be told I’m not seriously considering it. It’d be awesome but this trip is about accomplishing my wife’s goal of visiting all the National Parks, and hiking in tropical landscape. I spent a lot of time hunting out of state this past year so it’s good to balance it out and do her preferences too, and of course I’ll really enjoy it too.

Even so, I’m curious, what hunting would there be on the Big Island?

That sounds pretty cool. I’ll have to chat it up with any local hunters if I run into any.

You should definitely post Guam pictures on this thread if you get something! Or even if not, it’d be awesome to see hunting in such a vastly different place.

If you need any links for hunting in Hawaii hit me up.... I’m on Kauai but I have contacts everywhere that can provide you with a great experience. If your on Oahu don’t waste your time hunting, enjoy it with your family. If you make it to Maui just focus on axis, they breed year round so almost always get hard horn in every herd and you will have plenty opportunities. If you got $$$ go lanai and hunt pulama land for goat, sheep, or deer. If you want raw Hawaiian experience go Molokai, I’ll hook u up with the boys that run the island and they will give you an experience of a lifetime filling your cooler wit axis and blackbuck. If your on big island I’d focus on sheep, goat, pig, and turkey, There still is a small population of axis on the south end but access is null if your not from there,.. If you make it to Kauai I can take you for goat, pig, sheep, or blacktail. All hunting on all islands can be done with gun or bow and can run dogs for pigs too...

Oahu, Maui, and Hawaii over a two-week span. I’d only have sufficient time for a hunt or fishing trip on Hawaii. But truth be told I’m not seriously considering it. It’d be awesome but this trip is about accomplishing my wife’s goal of visiting all the National Parks, and hiking in tropical landscape. I spent a lot of time hunting out of state this past year so it’s good to balance it out and do her preferences too, and of course I’ll really enjoy it too.

Even so, I’m curious, what hunting would there be on the Big Island?

Last edited:
Yep we got blacktail..... originally introduced in early 60s from Washington and Oregon. Population on public land is estimated to be a little over 5000 head with a pretty even buck to doe ratio. Get another 2000-3000 head on private land that is mostly inaccessible. Most of the big deer that are on public land are in places that is pretty inaccessible unless you go by helicopter or do a combo of mules/hike/camp for couple days in the remote back country. Don’t get me wrong there are deer in other places that are easy to get to and accessible but they are night time deer and most are young deer under 3y. If you want the big boys you gotta go deep and wait for the 2nd rut mid-late December

Big island has turkeys, muflon sheep, feral sheep, feral goats, higs and Vancouver bulls by drawing. Maui has axis deer, goats and hogs.

Surprisingly, there is an island that has blacktails as well, by drawing and they get some pretty good ones.

Back