• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Heavy arrow speed?

devildog

I am building heavier arrows this year going from 371 grains to 570 grains and I need to get new inserts for my EZV site. I am currently shooting my arrows at 290 and I am curious if anyone has a set up like mine and can give me a round about idea about my new speed. I am shoot a Bowtech Realm X at 70lbs and a 28 inch draw. Any help would be appreciated.

Here's my recent speed test with different arrows/weights.

ArrowLengthSpineFletchPointFOC %Total WghtChrono
CX Maxima29"0.3503 - 2" Blazers100 gr.385302 fps
GT Series 2228"0.3003 - 3" Fusion175 gr.440284
GT Pro Hunter28"0.3003 - 3" Fusion160460282
CX Mutiny30"0.3303 - 2" Blazers w/wrap145505264
ACC 3-6028"0.3603 - 3" Fusion145 gr.460278
Easton 221629"0.3764 - 2" Zeon Fusion175 gr.593250 fps

Here's my recent speed test with different arrows/weights.

ArrowLengthSpineFletchPointFOC %Total WghtChrono
CX Maxima29"0.3503 - 2" Blazers100 gr.385302 fps
GT Series 2228"0.3003 - 3" Fusion175 gr.440284
GT Pro Hunter28"0.3003 - 3" Fusion160460282
CX Mutiny30"0.3303 - 2" Blazers w/wrap145505264
ACC 3-6028"0.3603 - 3" Fusion145 gr.460278
Easton 221629"0.3764 - 2" Zeon Fusion175 gr.593250 fps

what bow are you using?

I am building heavier arrows this year going from 371 grains to 570 grains and I need to get new inserts for my EZV site. I am currently shooting my arrows at 290 and I am curious if anyone has a set up like mine and can give me a round about idea about my new speed. I am shoot a Bowtech Realm X at 70lbs and a 28 inch draw. Any help would be appreciated.
If you are going through the effort to build new arrows especially drastically heavier ones, you should really put the effort into to chronoing your setup. You could be setting yourself self up for failure by "guesstimating". Think about how much effort your putting into your setup, do you really want to take the chance of having something being off.... IMO that would feel like I wasted a lot effort then.

If you are going through the effort to build new arrows especially drastically heavier ones, you should really put the effort into to chronoing your setup. You could be setting yourself self up for failure by "guesstimating". Think about how much effort your putting into your setup, do you really want to take the chance of having something being off.... IMO that would feel like I wasted a lot effort then.
Why is arrow speed important? As long as your sight is dialed in for your arrow at the distances you plan on shooting, speed shouldn’t matter.

The only reason I need a speed is I need to order new inserts for my EZV site. I want to upgrade to the new brighter inserts and needed an idea what to order. I will chrono the arrows next time I go to the local shop.

Why is arrow speed important? As long as your sight is dialed in for your arrow at the distances you plan on shooting, speed shouldn’t matter.
It's not important, to a point. OP is asking for reference in selecting which rings to use for the easy v sight, which is based off of known fps. It's not exact but I would want to know what I'm working with atleast, to take any guess work out of the equation.

For people using the EZ-V with heavy arrows (650+), do have any issues with the EZ-V sight being effective out to longer yds. not that i really shoot past 30 but more curiousity than anything else. I have heard that the algorithm used can be off because of the extra drop you get with heavy arrows. I am very interested in trying one of these sights but worried that the sight wont keep up with the drop. From what i understand it uses FPS but calculates the drop based off more of an avg weight arrow.

For people using the EZ-V with heavy arrows (650+), do have any issues with the EZ-V sight being effective out to longer yds. not that i really shoot past 30 but more curiousity than anything else. I have heard that the algorithm used can be off because of the extra drop you get with heavy arrows. I am very interested in trying one of these sights but worried that the sight wont keep up with the drop. From what i understand it uses FPS but calculates the drop based off more of an avg weight arrow.

this is why the ezv is obsolete for deer hunting in my opinion. If you’re shooting beyond 30 yards, the sight you use/arrow weight/shooting ability are all minor in comparison to how much the animal can move between when you decide to release and when the arrow arrives.

30 yards and in, you can use a single pin and be precise enough that trajectory does not matter, even with heavy arrows. If you get above 600 grains, that number may drop to 25 yards, or you may need to compensate slightly when aiming. Either way, the ezv being off at longer distances doesn’t come into play.

In my opinion, if you’re shooting past 30-40 yards, you’ll need to range and dial/have a pin set to shoot effectively. I did not find the ezv precise enough At distance, even after a couple thousand shots.

You can pick up inserts down to 200 FPS inserts. Would it be shooting slower than that?

I love this sight. Way more accurate than I was with multi or single pin. My pile of arrows that need new nocks and fletchings is proof it works. I don’t shoot pro just use the tic marks. So really it’s a pin sight that I’m not hiding the target with a pin. Floating pin/punching release was a big issue for me. No longer now.

Back