• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Heavy arrow

Redoak47*

Just out of curiosity, what arrows did you choose for guys that are shooting over 60 pounds and over 28 inch draw lenght? For your heavy arrow build. Not sure what i am going to go with yet.

That recomendation will be based on draw weight, arrow length, and how much weight you are looking to have up front. I shoot 28" arrows cut carbon to carbon. 200 Spine out of my 70# bow, most weight I can go up front on that arrow is just a touch over 300 grains, could probably get a 250 spine to do okay if I keep weight up front under 200 grains but the FOC drops a lot that route. 200 or 250 spine out of my 60# depending on how much weight the business end gets.

I'm shooting 65lb draw, 28-1/4" arrows carbon to carbon, Gold Tip Hunter 300 spine shafts, 262g out front (200g broadhead, 12g standard insert, 50g screw-in weight), 3 fletch of 2" Rayzr feathers, standard nock. Total arrow weight 542g. FOC 20.8%

The charts and programs might say they are under-spined a bit, but they are shooting great.

Carbon express maxima hunter red 250 is what I've been shooting great arrows @ about 550 total grains,however I ordered some grizzly stick momentums 320 for my 650 grain arrow build the same inserts fit both arrow shafts!

maxima 250s are .400 spine...not saying that wont work for you but how much weight up front do you have on that thing?

i would imagine that has a good bit of flex on a bow over 60#

Just out of curiosity, what arrows did you choose for guys that are shooting over 60 pounds and over 28 inch draw lenght? For your heavy arrow build. Not sure what i am going to go with yet.
i just built a some arrows for a similar setup bow. 62# sr6 with 29in draw. might go back to 28.5 not sure yet...

i have easton axis .300 spine cut at 29in carbon to carbon with a 75gn hit insert, 33 gn footer, and a 125 annihilator up front. havent decided what fletching im going with. i fletched 2 of them with blazers 3-fletch 3* helical. fly pretty good. leaving the rest of them to bare shaft tune and might try different fletches. x nocks on the back. whole setup comes in at 579 or something. i have some magnus stinger 150gn bh's that i may switch to. which would put me right at 600. i shot 420gn setup all season and had 2 shots not pass thru never found one deer, these arrows aremuch slower but my god do they hit hard

I: have never really been able to hear a broadhead fly but with those annihilators it was very noticeable.

sorry not carbon to carbon,nock valley to carbon

Carbon express maxima hunter red 250 is what I've been shooting great arrows @ about 550 total grains,however I ordered some grizzly stick momentums 320 for my 650 grain arrow build the same inserts fit both arrow shafts!
Thinking about getting their test pack, not sure which arrows go with. My Matthews MR8 is set at 65 pounds and my draw length is 29. My other bow is a Mathews Halon X Comp set at 61 pounds and 29 draw lenght.

Darton pro 3000..... 58lbs... 28.5" draw... grizzly stik 400... 2" vanes... 200 gr. field point or Massai single bevel head... glory lighted nocks... built to 650gr total weight. 27% FOC... Holy crap.... Gotta dump my HHA Kingpin. There aint a tape slow enough. Can kill elephants and Cape buffalo but I can shoot and run downrange to catch the arrow I just fired. Gonna throw on a ranch fairy special too.....EZV and see what happens. I was able to make a crude blank tape to 60 with the HHA but past that their fallen in the dirt. Cant wait to try on turkey. Think I could skewer 6 ifin they were lined up!

Thinking about getting their test pack, not sure which arrows go with. My Matthews MR8 is set at 65 pounds and my draw length is 29. My other bow is a Mathews Halon X Comp set at 61 pounds and 29 draw lenght.
I think you need 300 spine for the halon and possibly 250 for the other. I shoot a halon x at 60# 29.5 DL and shoot 300 spine arrows at 535 grains total with a 100 gr tip. I am trying to decide between 125 and 145 gr BH. Oh,and the lighted nock would bump it up another 15 gr.

Oh,we chronoed my arrows today too. 244 fps with 100gr tip,240 with 125gr tip. Not a bad drop at all. So at 150 gr tip i should be around 235. I cant see myself shooting at a deer much past 30 yds,so i dont care about speed.

I ll be shooting Victory VAP 250s, @ 28" carbon to carbon, ethics stainless steel insert and footer with a 200gr Masai right bevel single bevel, a nockturnal lighted nock and some sort of 3"or 4" straight fletched Rwing feather. Total arrow weight is 690gr with 21.8% FoC. My bow is a 70# Bowtech Reign 6 at 27" draw. Victory's arrow selection chart has me solidly into that spine arrow and I have them tuned and flying great. I'm a 20yd shooter and it makes my bow much more quiet, but it is slower.

Just moved up to a 577 grain arrow. Can't wait to see how it does. My older arrow was in the upper threes and had no problems getting a full pass through.

I finally got out of my 15 yard basement range and out to the outdoor range on Friday night to see how my new heavy arrows performed at 20, 25 and 30 yards. I took a couple flappers along for comparison. All I can say is wow the heavies are slow. I saw a 16” drop at 30 yards compared to the light arrows. I was expecting a good size difference with my low draw weight but honestly didn’t think it would be that much. I was shooting 2-3” groups at 30 yards so I was pretty happy with that. I have one that wasn’t flying true that needs more work and a couple others that need to be refletched again due to a less than stellar fletching job on my part.

Bowtech Assasin 55# DW at 26.5” DL. 28.5” 340 spine GT Hunter XT with 200gn Ethics SS inserts and 125gn field points. Fletched with 3 low profile bohning vanes for 612gn total weight.

Back to the workshop...

I ordered some black eagle deep impact arrows and they showed up yesterday. Im going to get them built today. I've always favored heavier arrows but this will be the heaviest setup I've done coming in at 605 grain. It's just for fun really because I've always gotten complete pass throughs with my prior arrow setup.

Last edited:
I finally got out of my 15 yard basement range and out to the outdoor range on Friday night to see how my new heavy arrows performed at 20, 25 and 30 yards. I took a couple flappers along for comparison. All I can say is wow the heavies are slow. I saw a 16” drop at 30 yards compared to the light arrows. I was expecting a good size difference with my low draw weight but honestly didn’t think it would be that much. I was shooting 2-3” groups at 30 yards so I was pretty happy with that. I have one that wasn’t flying true that needs more work and a couple others that need to be refletched again due to a less than stellar fletching job on my part.

Bowtech Assasin 55# DW at 26.5” DL. 28.5” 340 spine GT Hunter XT with 200gn Ethics SS inserts and 125gn field points. Fletched with 3 low profile bohning vanes for 612gn total weight.

Back to the workshop...
Keep at it. Don't know what your max effective range is, but 20 and under could be a new challenge to consider. I like to say," don't tell me how far you can shoot, tell me how close you got".

Last edited:
Back