• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

HELP Cracked cam cleat… one stick attachment alternatives?

Marmuzz

Scrambling last minute before a hunt. My Harken Standard 150 cam cleat has a crack in the plastic bushing below the screw. It's not cracked all the way through, just on the bushing face. The cleat still holds the rope securely. Supposed to leave for camp tomorrow, no time to order a new cam cleat. It's against my better judgement to just use it (or Super Glue the gap temporarily until I can replace it)... but it's tempting since the cleat is still holding fine. Has anyone else run into this?

If not... then I have to consider alternatives. I have an EWO AlumiButton and a hole for it drilled already in my EWO one stick.

What are viable alternatives for stick attachment during one sticking?

1. Install AlumiButton- use EWO climbing stick daisy chain strap?
  2. Install AlumiButton- use spare tether with prusik hitch?
I'd appreciate any input you guys have. I'm super frustrated I'm having to figure this out last minute.

691B06BF-9BDD-4A06-9495-6335A3BCB17C.jpeg

Another option is Amazon Prime. For me it shows I could get one delivered today
I actually ordered another one but when I opened the package last night, turns out it was the Harken Micro 150, not the Standard. I could technically use it, but the Micro’s max. working load is 200 lbs, and I’m 185 out of the shower… idk.
@Chrighton have I seen you use a Micro 150?

I actually ordered another one but when I opened the package last night, turns out it was the Harken Micro 150, not the Standard. I could technically use it, but the Micro’s max. working load is 200 lbs, and I’m 185 out of the shower… idk.
@Chrighton have I seen you use a Micro 150?
I’m 180 and been using the same micro for 3years. Here’s what I do at height, just because I can. Half hitch on the tail side, then UNDER the cleat and another half hitch on that side. But the timber hitch idea sounds good also

I’m 180 and been using the same micro for 3years. Here’s what I do at height, just because I can. Half hitch on the tail side, then UNDER the cleat and another half hitch on that side. But the timber hitch idea sounds good also
That seems good. You feel stable and secure climbing on the Micro?

Just use the aluminum button and rope mod to secure stick. Don’t over think this. Take a few minutes to tie the rope mod and enjoy your weekend at camp,

Looks like you might have over tightened the hardware on the cam and it lead to the cracking of the bushing.

Or aluminum button and truckers hitch like weldy said. Both are viable but take a few minutes to get the hang of. I suggested the rope mod because I prefer it if I’m one sticking.

Third option, go to any outdoors store and pick up a cam buckle for a stand or repurpose one you have lying around. It’s my go to for one sticking. Safe and easy going,

That seems good. You feel stable and secure climbing on the Micro?
Yes. But not telling you use/not use the cracked one! I use a push pole to get my tether way higher, so I’m almost always under tension. With a three step aider, when I step into the bottom rung, I’m eye level with the cleat so I can watch it as the stick takes my full weight. I one sticked with a Tethrd ONE (before I got a cam cleat installed), and it just took a little more time to untie the line. Maybe an extra move. Good luck, wish I had an extra to send you…

U could technically just wrap the rope around the stick under the cam cleat and tie the timber hitch and it work too....
Would be a PITA though having to feed the rope around several times. Being able to twist with your finger and set it over a button makes it easy.

Just use the aluminum button and rope mod to secure stick. Don’t over think this. Take a few minutes to tie the rope mod and enjoy your weekend at camp,

Looks like you might have over tightened the hardware on the cam and it lead to the cracking of the bushing.
Thanks for encouragement man. I would maybe do this but regrettably I ordered my attachment cord a little on the short side. It’s enough to work for a cam cleat but I’m not sure about a rope mod. Note to self, just always buy a little more cord than you think you need…

Thanks for encouragement man. I would maybe do this but regrettably I ordered my attachment cord a little on the short side. It’s enough to work for a cam cleat but I’m not sure about a rope mod. Note to self, just always buy a little more cord than you think you need…
How long is too short? There shouldn’t be much difference in length? We can’t help you pick the best option without more details. What are we working with?

Sounds like you need to just go to Walmart and buy a cam strap…

You mentioned having a spare tether, you can use that but just make sure you leave just a little slack so that you can pull the stick up to remove it after each move since the tether won’t be adjustable after tightened.

Back