• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

help me find a hunting boot with 1,000 or more grams of thinsulate or other insulation (don't want pac boots with the felt bootie/et) ($300 budget)

raisins

SH Member
I've been using these for 2 seasons.

They have been working remarkably well. But Redhead currently has a bad reputation for durability. These were something I bought quickly before rifle season like 2 or 3 years ago.

They have 1,000 grams of thinsulate and Redheads waterproof system. This amount or a little more in a super roomy boot lets me wear 2 socks, still move my toes, and sit all day without cold toes. I don't wear these if I have to walk a far way (in that case it's lighter/more compact boots and boot blankets). I usually wear a 12 wide, but in these super insulated boots I usually go up a size to account for socks.

I know Danner makes 1,200 gram versions of the Vital and Pronghorn.

Anyone have experience with those Danners or another boot that fits the bill (waterproof and at least 1,000 grams of thinsulate or equivalent like primaloft)? As stated in the title, I'd like to keep it around $300 or less.

Thanks.

PS....I don't want pac boots where you walk on a thick felt thing because I have to wear orthotics and I've never found those types of boots comfortable for walking any distance.

Not sure if you like this style but I call them muck boots. I have these and love them. Plenty warm with the correct socks and feet stay dry after crossing wetlands and creeks. Might find a better price somewhere else

Attachments

• IMG_2928.png
    IMG_2928.png
    343.7 KB · Views: 30
I've been using these for 2 seasons.

They have been working remarkably well. But Redhead currently has a bad reputation for durability. These were something I bought quickly before rifle season like 2 or 3 years ago.

They have 1,000 grams of thinsulate and Redheads waterproof system. This amount or a little more in a super roomy boot lets me wear 2 socks, still move my toes, and sit all day without cold toes. I don't wear these if I have to walk a far way (in that case it's lighter/more compact boots and boot blankets). I usually wear a 12 wide, but in these super insulated boots I usually go up a size to account for socks.

I know Danner makes 1,200 gram versions of the Vital and Pronghorn.

Anyone have experience with those Danners or another boot that fits the bill (waterproof and at least 1,000 grams of thinsulate or equivalent like primaloft)? As stated in the title, I'd like to keep it around $300 or less.

Thanks.

PS....I don't want pac boots where you walk on a thick felt thing because I have to wear orthotics and I've never found those types of boots comfortable for walking any distance.
i was going to recommend the boots you already own haha. im on my second pair not due to anything but super stinky inside the first pair. redhead makes one good thing that works...those boots. they are truly waterproof without any extra work, keep me warm, and fit my foot

Not sure if you like this style but I call them muck boots. I have these and love them. Plenty warm with the correct socks and feet stay dry after crossing wetlands and creeks. Might find a better price somewhere else

Thanks. Should have clarified...they have to be lace ups. I have Muck Arctic Pros and a pair of lighter Lacrosse.....they slip around too much on my feet.

i was going to recommend the boots you already own haha. im on my second pair not due to anything but super stinky inside the first pair. redhead makes one good thing that works...those boots. they are truly waterproof without any extra work, keep me warm, and fit my foot

now...you're gonna make me go to plan B....buy another pair so that if the first pair ever craps out then I have a backup!

PS...redhead base layers are also good

Last edited:
Best cold weather boot I’ve used yet. I’ve had muck, lacrosse and they’re not close to the DryShod. My feet would freeze in the other boots. I can wear a good merino wool sock and haven’t had cold feet yet in these. Very comfortable also.

ae2f395eef6ee7b9b7ae5baf6524fac6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably should've added that I want lace ups. I walk up and down hills and anything slip on doesn't work (I've got Muck Arctic Pros and some Lacrosse ones also....only wear them in swampy conditions or shoveling snow).

Can’t specifically recommend them, but they cover your price and insulation requirements.

Last edited:
Here’s a deal on some 1000g Rocky’s. Half price right now. They have good reviews online. I just ordered a pair myself.

Its from D*ck’s . I can’t post the link because of ****’s….

896a2de0d597d82ab242aa50b85ecee9.jpg

These are back on sale for $90 now. I had a Bass Pro gift card so I picked up a pair today, they fit the bill for what I was wanting to get again without breaking the bank for me.

Thanks everyone for the tips....I ended up with a second pair of those Bass Pros. They just work too good. I can afford to buy a new pair every 2 years and hold a pair in reserve if they stay at or under $100.

Back