• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Help me fix the knee to tree pain.

Jeremy_D

This will be my 4th year saddle hunting. Im a sitter and my only complaint is knees into the tree. I have the Tethered look alike knee pads. Ive also tried the Latitude pads. Still not getting the comfort Im looking for. Im thinking about a trying a strap around the tree pad. What are you guys using thats actually worked for you. Be it knee pads to try or a pad to strap to the tree.

I sit the whole time, I have a Tethrd knee cushion thing (wraps around tree) that sucked, I ended up glueing an extra seat pad off a tree stand to it and now it works a lot better, the best for my knees is the extra thick cushion on the bottom of my .5 stand with the seat flipped up, I can’t do traditional knee pads.

I like to sit in the saddle more than stand. Haven’t really done long sits with the saddle yet but so far the Trophyline knee pads seem awesome. And I think they’ll be nice for keeping your knees warm in cold weather. They’re not super expensive. I feel like those would be worth a look.

This will be my 4th year saddle hunting. Im a sitter and my only complaint is knees into the tree. I have the Tethered look alike knee pads. Ive also tried the Latitude pads. Still not getting the comfort Im looking for. Im thinking about a trying a strap around the tree pad. What are you guys using thats actually worked for you. Be it knee pads to try or a pad to strap to the tree.
I have two steps on my platform strap that let me straddle the tree more. It helps for a while.

I also saw recently someone posted about using a strap with two steps, around knee height, to lean your knees against in a wider position. Instead of your legs together and both knees against the tree. I might play with that and see how it works.

Edit: the post above has what I'm talking about and was posted while I was typing my response

I use the "vintage" trophyline knee pads....my thighs are parallel to the ground or my hiney maybe a little lower than my knees. I subdivide the knee into top middle and bottom....apply top knee pressure for X amount of time...30 minutes to an hour for me.... then lean for 30 to hour...then center of the knee...lean...bottom of knee. My truck seats are pretty comfy but I can only go 3 or 4 hours till I need to stretch them legs....saddle same way....small diameter trees gonna give u a problem regardless of stand alone pad or knee pads...straddle, side saddle, and the strap between the legs help there

This is not the most compact pad but it is amazing on the tree. The longer you sit, the more comfortable it gets. Your knees burrow into the center creating a dam on the outside, which keeps yours knees from trying to spread around the tree. I hang it on the tail of my hys strap with a small biner. When I walk in, I clip it to my backpack strap and it hangs under my arm. Really comfy. I can sit for hours and never move.467FF499-0403-456B-8568-12C01B267C5C.jpeg

@Jeremy_D - if you haven’t already done so, give this a try:

Attempt fixes for the problem. Or eliminate the problem.

I vote hybrid. Of course!

I agree the hybrid eliminates the problem. (Or a Preacher's seat). Why I picked one up.

So does a treestand. Sit on the seat, lean in the saddle.

Or you can fix or eliminate the problem with a .5 (given a knee height over 18" I think). The flat seatback is much more comfortable than a pad contouring around a tree or knee pads on a the contour of a tree. And you can sit on the seat, and still lean in a saddle.

So, there are some options.

Used the knee pads from Tethrd all last year. Worked great. Never had any issues and I have some pretty jacked up knees so that's saying something.

@DB4x4 has a killer plan. I can’t share the link but I do have a picture I saved for my build. View attachment 69252

^^ This is the way. Put the tree steps at 4:00 and 8:00 at knee height. Eliminates almost all related discomfort for me.

The kneepads rest nicely in the V created by the steps and the tree. Plus it gives you mobility options when maneuvering for a shot.

^^ This is the way. Put the tree steps at 4:00 and 8:00 at knee height. Eliminates almost all related discomfort for me.

The kneepads rest nicely in the V created by the steps and the tree. Plus it gives you mobility options when maneuvering for a shot.
What little I have gotten to fool with it with jacked up leg. It’s going to allow me to get pressure off the boot so far and still be comfortable

Any one put noodles or padding on the DB4x4 steps idea instead of knee pads?

Back