• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Help me not buy a cell cam

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Somebody tell me this isn't a good deal:

What kinda money am I spending on these things if I buy them? Does it add to my phone bill or bill me for an app or what? Anybody own them and have nasty things to say about them?

I just bought a couple Bushnells last week. Only played with them in the yard so far and it's a thrill getting notifications even if they are just skunks, groundhogs, and cats. Can't wait to get them out in the woods next week. The data plan isn't cheap, $15/month/cam but I'll only use it 4 or 5 months a year. I've had good luck never had an issues with the 3 Bushnell non-cell cams I've owned.

I've had issues with 3 different spypoint products, although this was 5-10 years ago.

This guy would make any trophy skunk hunter excited. Has an absolute donk, has to weigh 25 or 30 lbs.

675f6cf4-8345-4d76-99a6-6dbccc9d90b4.jpg

And just like that you saved me $150

Yeah I was done with them when their customer service just flat out sucked and they refused to do anything about a brand new camera that chit the bed the first time I had it out. It's one thing for it to fail, I get it, they are all varying degrees of cheap Chinese junk we leave out in the elements, but to not stand by it I was done. Again that was 5 years ago so recent history may be improved, I don't know.

The reveal is the best one, impossible to find though. People scalp the things.

I bought the Moultrie cell cam that was released last year when it came out, no issues. Keeps me from stinkin' up the place just to check a cam. On it's own plan through the app it is $10 a month.

I think exodus is getting ready to release a cell cam but I haven't seen any reviews. Exodus is usually good customer service wise though.

I just bought a couple Bushnells last week. Only played with them in the yard so far and it's a thrill getting notifications even if they are just skunks, groundhogs, and cats. Can't wait to get them out in the woods next week. The data plan isn't cheap, $15/month/cam but I'll only use it 4 or 5 months a year. I've had good luck never had an issues with the 3 Bushnell non-cell cams I've owned.

I've had issues with 3 different spypoint products, although this was 5-10 years ago.

This guy would make any trophy skunk hunter excited. Has an absolute donk, has to weigh 25 or 30 lbs.

View attachment 51947
Bushnells are great. Which ones are you using?

I've been fighting the urge too. Just gotta tell yourself you did it before without one! They'd be super handy though....

Bushnells are great. Which ones are you using?

The ones I just picked up CelluCORE 20s

I've been using 3 Trophy Cam 16MP for a good 4 or 5 years and they're all still flawless and they take the clearest pics and video of any camera I've ever personally seen.

It isn't a good idea.....there you go!

Honestly, the ONE I had was nice but I only used it in remote locations because I was scared it was going to get stolen. Saves time that is for sure.

How many buckets can you buy for that money you’re saving?
About 50.

I have tossed around the idea of getting one for years. Got a 120 acre lease with a cabin me and my dad built on the river about 3 miles away. 2 food plots and 2 feeders. One for him and one for me. I keep thinking it'd be cool to have a camera on each spot for giggles but I doubt it'd lead to any more dead deer

About 50.

I have tossed around the idea of getting one for years. Got a 120 acre lease with a cabin me and my dad built on the river about 3 miles away. 2 food plots and 2 feeders. One for him and one for me. I keep thinking it'd be cool to have a camera on each spot for giggles but I doubt it'd lead to any more dead deer
I would agree if you have a good deer population. For me it was nice to see when the deer were actually moving through the area. This location was 3 hours away so I wasn't checking cams very often. If you have feeders I mean you probably already have a great idea when they'll be there. Funny how we always find a way to spend more money of stuff we don't need.

I have 7 of the spypoint cams. I've had to exchange one that didn't work and go through some cussing at times but for the most part I feel they are worth the money.

The trick is buy them from Amazon or some other big company and just return them instead of dealing with support. Don't buy the two pack if you are going this route.

There is no question in my mind that cell cams make me a much more effective hunter. It almost seems like cheating you can put them on scrapes just outside of bedding and go in once they are day lighting or they can give you instant feedback on a November buck that moves into your area for only a couple days each year. There are so many ways a cell cam can help you get onto a particular deer or keep you from hunting a place that is dead. They are beyond worth the money if you want to kill quality deer consistently. Personally I think cell cams are the best place for money if you want your money to get you more big deer. They obviously aren't the only part of the equation you still have to understand deer and how they move and bed so they aren't magic or anything, just an amazing tool.

Somebody tell me this isn't a good deal:

What kinda money am I spending on these things if I buy them? Does it add to my phone bill or bill me for an app or what? Anybody own them and have nasty things to say about them?

the spypoints are goodfor the money. Ive been running 3 of them for a couple years now and havent had any issues. You have to update them periodically or they will stop sending. The picture quality is not great but you can see what you have and pattern from them. The app is extremely simple compared to others ive used. It will cost you monthly per camera or you can do the 100 free transmissions per month. My father inlaw also runs spypoints and hes had an issue with a camera twice. Both times Spypoint sent him a new camera no questions asked. I figure most of the negative feedback is based on personal expectations and/or lack of experience. A "quality" cell cam costs 3-$400 each, so at 75ea whats the expectation. for me it was just getting pics to stay out of an area i was trying to pattern. I wasnt looking for high def to watch trophy bucks. I also have experience with the tactacam reveal and the older stealth cell cams. I will say the reveal has better picture quality and better features but i didnt find the plusses to outweigh the increased cost for me. The stealth cams were way better in picture quality compared to spypoint and reveal, but the old app was trash. I have been eyeballing the newer stealth cams, so maybe if my spypoints crash ill try them again. It is also important to know which platform will work best in the area. I cant get the verizon cams to work at all in some spots but att ones ive not had issues with. Its the total opposite for a buddy in central MS, he has to use verizon.

Also use code SAVE10 and get $10 off.

Last edited:
Help me to stop buying more and more cell cams.... I just bought eight of those for an upcoming Iowa scouting trip.
Spypoint replaced 2 cams I had to send back, took them a while to deliver. Support was fine, not the best but definatly not the worst.

The ones I just picked up CelluCORE 20s

I've been using 3 Trophy Cam 16MP for a good 4 or 5 years and they're all still flawless and they take the clearest pics and video of any camera I've ever personally seen.
Where did you find them at?

I own 5 spy point micro (LTE)s, two of which are twins like this.

It isn't added to your phone bill, it's a separate per photo plan you can buy direction from Spypoint. You get 100 free pics a month. I use that option from February - early August. Then I pay for extra photos August - January. There are a few tier options for how many photos you get per 30 days. You have to buy a plan for each camera. For me it's cheaper just to pay for the few months and use the free option the rest of the year if I leave the camera up.

Overall I'm happy with them and the only real trouble I've had is related to cell service. The standard pics aren't high quality, but you can pay a little bit of money and download a HD quality pic, or wait until you swap out a card and get the HD pic then.

Here is are some recent pics from one of mine for quality reference. I hang them high on public land. This is a licking branch.

IMG_2181.JPG

IMG_2218.JPG

Cellular trail cams are cheating! There, you shouldn't have any more issues wanting to buy one.

Back