• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Help me up my Mobile hunting.

Bowtie747

SH Member
Hey guys, looking for some help/opinions.

So I’m strictly mobile hunting. I enjoy picking a spot on the map and scouting my way in. So almost every hunt is new. I’m finding myself getting close to dark and not really wanting to take the time to do a setup. Or be in an area and just want to sit down and observe for an evening.

My current setup is a hybrid system with the .5.

My main point is. I’m looking to hunt off the ground that last little bit if the hunt pushes me that way. Looking for ideas. Maybe just a leafy suit, one of those ultralight chairs. Just something to make sitting on the ground not suck. Or maybe I just find an area and I just want to hunt off the ground the whole time. Looking for this to be a permanent addition to my setup so lightweight is a must. Thanks

Ground hunting is the best way to mobile hunt, and ground hunting is super easy.

You need a Waldrop Pacseat or some other comfortable, quiet, packable chair. You don't need a blind. You don't need a leafy suit. You just need a chair. If you give it an honest go, you'll get very reluctant to tote around all of the crap required to get up in a tree.

Ground hunting is the best way to mobile hunt, and ground hunting is super easy.

You need a Waldrop Pacseat or some other comfortable, quiet, packable chair. You don't need a blind. You don't need a leafy suit. You just need a chair. If you give it an honest go, you'll get very reluctant to tote around all of the crap required to get up in a tree.
I have no beef with ground hunting but a pacseat is already more than it takes a lot of us to get up a tree…
I’m planning to put more energy into a good ground setup though, so I don’t want to take away from the thread.

A foldable stool or mini folding chair that doesn’t stop you from drawing your bow and can be lashed or strapped to your pack easily, and good existing natural cover. And good boots for hiking. I hunted on the ground for several years at the whopping cost of $20 for a folding stool. If you’re in an area with trees but want to stay on earth to hunt, strap your hang-on stand to the base of a tree and you’re hunting. A turkey vest with butt cushion is also a wonderful investment for deer hunting.

I have no beef with ground hunting but a pacseat is already more than it takes a lot of us to get up a tree…
I’m planning to put more energy into a good ground setup though, so I don’t want to take away from the thread.
As somebody who had an honest-to-god sub 5lb climbing system, and who's been on this forum for 5 years, I can say with confidence that the vast majority of people's climbing rigs weight more than 5lbs. And I can say with absolute confidence that they involve more than 1 piece of equipment. And then you have to use it, vs literally "pulling up a chair."

I don’t do too much ground hunting, but I saw this demo‘d recently. At 1.5 pounds, it has some potential. May be worth consideration:

A foldable stool or mini folding chair that doesn’t stop you from drawing your bow and can be lashed or strapped to your pack easily, and good existing natural cover. And good boots for hiking. I hunted on the ground for several years at the whopping cost of $20 for a folding stool. If you’re in an area with trees but want to stay on earth to hunt, strap your hang-on stand to the base of a tree and you’re hunting. A turkey vest with butt cushion is also a wonderful investment for deer hunting.
You must have the deluxe one haha!

As somebody who had an honest-to-god sub 5lb climbing system, and who's been on this forum for 5 years, I can say with confidence that the vast majority of people's climbing rigs weight more than 5lbs. And I can say with absolute confidence that they involve more than 1 piece of equipment. And then you have to use it, vs literally "pulling up a chair."
I get the simplicity and hunting very steep pieces of property as my only private parcels, just getting in and out on the ice and snow is hard enough, without climbing an icy tree. I’m a small guy, surely if anybody here can pull a bow they are not going to notice the weight of a 10lb system when half of it is the saddle and rope and another <2lb for a stick then misc most of which you’re not getting away from with sitting on the ground. The pacseat’s size to me is a bigger drawback than any weight saved, but to each their own.

Half my issue with this stuff is it feels like a race to see who can get the most absurd. Over $200 for these lawn chairs seems like the result of some bored frat boys making bets at how much they can sell this stuff for.
Climbing stuff is risking your life, and there is liability(now I think we’re at a stage where people are maximizing profit and failing to see some of that but separate topic). But to me these glorified lawn chairs are too much for a hunt and look like they would be in the way more than a help. At this moment I’ve been leaning toward wearing my climbing gear, and a) tethering in from the ground b) using the platform as a seat at ground level with the back band around the tree or c) just carrying a little tripod or simpler seat like this:

I get the simplicity and hunting very steep pieces of property as my only private parcels, just getting in and out on the ice and snow is hard enough, without climbing an icy tree. I’m a small guy, surely if anybody here can pull a bow they are not going to notice the weight of a 10lb system when half of it is the saddle and rope and another <2lb for a stick then misc most of which you’re not getting away from with sitting on the ground. The pacseat’s size to me is a bigger drawback than any weight saved, but to each their own.

Half my issue with this stuff is it feels like a race to see who can get the most absurd. Over $200 for these lawn chairs seems like the result of some bored frat boys making bets at how much they can sell this stuff for.
Climbing stuff is risking your life, and there is liability(now I think we’re at a stage where people are maximizing profit and failing to see some of that but separate topic). But to me these glorified lawn chairs are too much for a hunt and look like they would be in the way more than a help. At this moment I’ve been leaning toward wearing my climbing gear, and a) tethering in from the ground b) using the platform as a seat at ground level with the back band around the tree or c) just carrying a little tripod or simpler seat like this:
2 hrs on that and you'll wish you'd spent the cash on a Pac Seat. The biggest challenge of mine is staying awake waiting for the deer to show up.

I've hunted tethered in at ground level. It works. A $20 stool works. A bucket works. I like the Pacseat but there are lots of chairs that can work.

But, $200 is only expensive because we're used to things being made at scale, and usually in a manner that involves treating people ways we wouldn't want our loved ones treated. The pacseat isn't made in one nice old man's garage anymore, but it's still made with US labor. Buy a sewing machine, pipe bender, and a welder if $200 is too much. It's an easy thing to make.

The size of the seat doesn't matter because it fits behind your back. I did 8 miles of brush busting with one yesterday and it was never in the way.

Again, any chair can work.

Look into a torges seat and a good pad. If ya can't find a tree, you can kneel.on it. A headset/thin face mask and glove will help dull down the shiny parts.

Not my video

I almost exclusively hunt from the ground and being still is key to seeing mature animals and comfort is key to being still.

I used to sit on a pad on the ground when I was younger and cant my bow to keep the cams/limbs from hitting. That worked when I was younger but my legs tend to go numb after an hour or less of sitting like that now.

You have to find what's comfortable and what can keep you still for the amount of time you want to hunt.

What's worked for me in order of comfort and overall functionality is the 1. PacSeat 2. Aluminum Larry Chair ( I kayak too) 3. Low Down Hunting seat 4. Cheap Amazon hammock hunting seat.

The PacSeat and Larry Chair are freestanding so I don't need trees for them to work. The Lowdown hunting seat and Amazon hunting hammock are pretty similar in comfort to the PacSeat and Larry Chair but you need trees to hang them.

Anyone have any experience using the Millennium tree seat?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Yeesh y’all really be spending some top dollaz on some folding chairs. I’m all about doing what you want with your money, and comfort is priceless, except when you have 3 kids and work two jobs and so does your wife and you’re trynna hunt from the freaking ground for crimeny’s sakes. Fred Bear did it with Buffalo plaid, a badass hat, a stick bow, and a rock or stump big enough to sit his arse on for a bit before still-hunting to the next rock or stump to sit on.
If you wanna spend a little extra cash on something that’ll make your ground hunting more fun and can be used as a sort of “blind” to distract a deer’s attention, skimp on the seating costs, practice shooting from a cheap folding chair and from your knees, and invest the surplus on a couple of Montana decoys. Holy crapoly, Batman. Never a dull moment when they come in to a decoy. And those things are so packable you could easily carry 2 or 3 and hunt almost in plain sight. I’ve had deer come within 5yds of me just fixated on the decoy and allowing me to draw or decide if I even should. Those critical seconds can be extended with even a crappy decoy setup.
And the best part is they’re so light that they never have to leave your pack whether you use them or not.

Back