• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hip pack vs back pack one sticking?

bbarron

I know there is a pack discussion thread. I have never tried a hip pack, compared to a back pack. Was curious if there are any benefits, and a comparison? Will need for long hikes in the forest and able to carry one stick platform and an additional stick. Plus have room for a thick jacket in late season.

Badlands monster might be worth taking a look at. Big enough to stuff a jacket in. Or lash to it. Even platow pack might be a good lumbar pack if that’s what you’re looking for

I got the Kuiu venture divide. I dont carry to much stuff in the woods but this holds a ton while being small. My one stick fits right on the bottom.
1698421919299.png

I haven't actually run a hip pack setup, but I do have one... I don't think it will give you the needed storage. I do like my chest rig, but again, storage... Have you considered a lumbar-style pack? I'm slowly falling in love with my current setup "fanny pack" setup, especially during warm weather, and it's been my primary for the past few weeks.

Also lol: https://saddlehunter.com/community/...s-m-lumbar-pack-price-drop.53479/#post-779789

I’m running a Sitka tool belt with the one stick. What I like about it is the stick straps to the bottom and can be unclipped without taking the pack off. It has enough room in the pack for just the basics and some food. Plus the mesh sack on the back can hold a jacket or whatever is needed after being set up in the tree. The big thing to me is never have to put anything on the ground when I get to the tree. Unclip the stick and start climbing. I can clip a platform on top of the mesh pack if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve run both. It depends on how you pack out your kill and how much stuff you want to carry. If you hike in a couple miles and/or quarter your game and hike out you might want a pack. If you are shorter distance and/or use a jet sled or drag your kill to a loading area then a hip pack may suffice. If you’re wanting to go as minimal as possible but still strap your stick to something there are some good hip packs. I ran a Trophyline platow for awhile that’s good. Sufficient space and has shoulder straps for greater comfort and weight distribution. Tenzing makes some as do badlands. If you load up a hip pack and don’t use the shoulder straps it tends to drag low like wearing a loaded diaper.

Have you considered a turkey vest? It kinda splits the difference between a rucksack and a lumbar pack, and you can fill the game bag with extra layers or Little Debbies in addition to platforms and sticks.

I got the Kuiu venture divide. I dont carry to much stuff in the woods but this holds a ton while being small. My one stick fits right on the bottom.
View attachment 93729
I like that setup. I pack my deer out for the most part. So I need the tools to do it, but if I didn't. I would seriously consider something very similar.

I use the trophyline platow for one sticking . Not sure what that is considered but I love it.

I used a Platow pack last year. I wear my saddle so the 2 things weren't the most compatible. I just got a Staggs stealth backpack and think it will be my go to for one sticking.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I just got a Staggs stealth backpack and think it will be my go to for one sticking.
I’ve been seeing the videos of it. Have you used it at all yet??

I’ve been seeing the videos of it. Have you used it at all yet??
Yes. Been on several trips with it and the only thing I didn't care for was the magnet closure. The mag in the lid is free to move inside the area of the patch. Every time I closed it I had to relocate the mag. I modded it with a larger, stronger one and stitched it into place and it is much better. I carry a Treetop Mobile Sniper and ropes etc and it weighs slightly less than 14 lbs. It carries that weight very well.

I have a tenzing hip pack I use early season, has buckles on bottom for the one stick and then i just drop the platform in the main compartment, not perfect but works when I'm not packing in layers.

Back