• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hodag Licking Stick?

bigbuck247

Anyone use one? What results did you have? Have heard really good things about them but just a limited number of people. Any other mock scrape setups work better than others for y’all?

I bought the kit, put it out and stuck a cut sapling in there and poured the juice all over it like they show. I have had deer all around it eating acorns as there were before I put it there. Not ONE single pic of a deer sticking it’s nose to it or interacting with it in the slightest way.

I just cut a 4 or 5 foot long sapling and hang it waist high. Have had bucks and does hit it within a couple of days. You don't need any scent on it. Check out Jeff Sturgis on you tube. He has a bunch of videos how he does it.

So, this is based on a buddy’s tip to create a spot for deer to scent check in my very open 2ac food plot. I sunk a pvc pipe in the middle and stuck some stag horn sumac in it (my idea) since I knew they like to rub it. I have replaced the sumac 3 times in a month and as of yesterday a maple branch in its place. I had 439 pictures of deer messing with the sumac over the last week and a half. No added scent.

I think the plot is so open they can’t help but check it out. I have to finish welding up my own spring setup so the bucks quit destroying the tree.

Here was the last culprit:

1A1CA0A9-D945-4D86-8EA0-CB5C5FB2379E.png

Back