• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hoist rope

tgoodson1814

What is everyone using for a hoist rope ??? Another curious post ....any diy ?? Or unusual ropes ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is everyone using for a hoist rope ??? Another curious post ....any diy ?? Or unusual ropes ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was using a Doyle's but switched to paracord wrapped in a figure 8 (so it feeds well) and then stuffed in my backpack's water bottle holder.

Doyle's weighs almost a pound and I don't like that I can't lower the bow with it and then drop the cord (so I can be totally unconnected on the way down).

This is my current favorite....

Lots of people like the paracord wound in a figure 8, but I always end up with a knotted mess at some point.

Doyle’s looks nice, but maybe a bit bulky and heavy for personal preference.

I keep this hoist in the top of my dump pouch above my tether and lineman belt. After 3-4 seasons it’s still working well.

For the times I don't climb with my pack, I tie the end of my SRT line to my pack and use that for a pull-up.

I always lower my pack with my SRT rope and lower my bow with my pull-down cord--that way I don't forget to attach my pull-down to my SRT line.

I use a doyles hoist rope one because of my SCS for my mathews. I modified the end to look like mathews pull up rope so it works with my bow.

I have it in the bottom of my side pouch with a hole in it and run the rope out the front. I finished the hole with a fabric eye ring.

I had it clipped to the back of my saddle but my backpack wants to ride there so it wasn't very comfy walking in.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’m in the paracord camp. 30ft, Wrap it in a figure 8 and it costs like $2. Take your time as with anything else and it doesn’t get all tangled.

Here’s What I’m usin.....

I was using a Doyle's but switched to paracord wrapped in a figure 8 (so it feeds well) and then stuffed in my backpack's water bottle holder.

Doyle's weighs almost a pound and I don't like that I can't lower the bow with it and then drop the cord (so I can be totally unconnected on the way down).

I did the same thing this weekend. The Doyles is really nice, but I'm looking to cut some bulk so it had to go.

Lots of people like the paracord wound in a figure 8, but I always end up with a knotted mess at some point.

I keep this hoist in the top of my dump pouch above my tether and lineman belt. After 3-4 seasons it’s still working well.

How much smaller and lighter is this than a Doyles?

How much smaller and lighter is this than a Doyles?
Not sure about a direct comparison, but here’s a few pics for reference...

Attachments

• 7E302351-5EC1-467F-8B61-2879B75A43D2.jpeg
    7E302351-5EC1-467F-8B61-2879B75A43D2.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 132
  • 9B30238E-5D8E-4E9E-8E76-4F1084D7DCFF.jpeg
    9B30238E-5D8E-4E9E-8E76-4F1084D7DCFF.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 133
I have had a Doyles for as long as I remember, But I don’t see why it is so popular in the saddle hunting world especially with the weight watchers. I used it attached to my lone wolf climber years ago, then went back to paracord. I have tried it with saddle hunting, even in the fleece pouch, but for the weight and bulk it’s not worth it to me. Easy way to drop a pound. I do like the fact that the rope retracts, but that’s it. Since I started rappelling, I find a nice paracord with an s-biner on each end serves double duty. Allows me to lower my bow and use the other end to clip on my rappel rope to get it out of the tree.

Paracord figure 8 for me. Got a piece of orange paracord at the end that attaches to bow to make it easy to tell the ends apart. Hook it with an s-biner that serves double duty in the tree to hold my quiver.

Looks good. How many ounces?

I did the same thing this weekend. The Doyles is really nice, but I'm looking to cut some bulk so it had to go.

Are you using your pack's water bottle side holder also? Trying that made it work for me. The videos where they show how you can wrap it just perfect so the whole thing free hangs AND the bow end feeds smooth...didn't work for me. If it was loose enough to not pull my bow off the ground, then it would fall apart. I wrap it very loosely and use the bottle holder like a bucket. Works perfectly.

Back