• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How bad is this recurve tip crack?

thedutchtouch

SH Member
Ugh I just posted this in my vintage recurve on the way so apologies for double posting, thought its own thread might get more notice. My "new" bow showed up today damaged by USPS. How bad is this crack on a scale of "it's only cosmetic" to "don't ever try to string it, it'll explode at some point"?

Screenshot_20230308-124323.pngScreenshot_20230308-124317.png

Well judging by the emojis I might have a future recurve form template on my hands and will likely be returning to the samick sage for my first bow idea. Shoot.

I already contacted the seller and am waiting to hear details about a replacement or refund, he seems like a good guy and the bow wasn't expensive so we shall see. He advised that it's firewood as well so... I won't go for the super glue idea at all.

As others have said that is a bad spot for a crack. I think it's more likely the seller shipped it that way, than it was damaged in shipping. You could superglue it and maybe get some shots out of it but, I'd bet it lets go at some point. May hurt when it does.

Here's one possible result when it lets go: Screenshot_20220304-115157 (1).png

Interesting. He seemed surprised etc, but I suppose it is what it is with a stranger on the internet. If I don't get my money back I paid a bit for a wall hanger/bow template and an e-commerce lesson, oh well.

I'm not going to shoot it, not worth the risk, I can wait and get a sage.

Interesting. He seemed surprised etc, but I suppose it is what it is with a stranger on the internet. If I don't get my money back I paid a bit for a wall hanger/bow template and an e-commerce lesson, oh well.

I'm not going to shoot it, not worth the risk, I can wait and get a sage.

It's possible he didn't know about it. I can't tell you the last time I unstrung any of my bows and checked that spot for cracking.

Actually, yes I can. It was a couple of years ago when dad sent me the pic above. lol

Yeah, it is what it is, It definitely looks like he had it strung until it was shipped and he seems like a decent enough guy/I'm only out 135 on this bow so even if he ghosts me, it'll be ok, just should have spent the same amount on a sage but the vintage wood was calling to me lol. Hopefully he doesn't dissapear, no signs he will at this point, I'll report back when I have a different one or a refund on the way or a lesson learned. Thanks for the quick feedback before I went and tried something stupid!

In the prior thread the OP included a picture of the shipping box. Based in that image, I’d guess it’s 50:50 whether the damage was before or during shipping.
Is there any debris in the crack?

how far does the crack go around the tip, looks as though it stops at the belly lam

I'll do something with it. I was thinking of using it as a template for a bow form/something to maybe practice sanding/finishing on. I love to put the cart before the horse though, here I am planning to make my own recurve bow before I've shot one
Do it! Though, start with something easier like a self bow without recurved tips.

how far does the crack go around the tip, looks as though it stops at the belly lam
It appears to go at least into the next lamination and then that lamination might be delaminating from the tip, looks like there's a paper thin crack between the white lamination and the tip reinforcement, I just can't get a clear photoScreenshot_20230308-141741.png

And it's cracked on the other side of the same tip too, just saw that, even smaller crack but it's there. Confirmed no-shooter/firewood/maybe I'll let the kids pretend with no stringScreenshot_20230308-142143.png

@thedutchtouch are you interested in warfing/frankenstein bow? I have an old compound bow riser that you can just slap Samick Sage Limbs on and a strings. Just pay shipping or depending on how fast you want it, we can meet up.
Thank you for the offer, I think I'll just buy a whole sage bow, I've been hemming and hawing about driving up to Lancaster archery for some in person instruction/help anyway so this just confirms that for me.

I am planning on heading west and doing a camping/shooting weekend sometime in the next month or so, likely in green ridge, which means I'd probably be passing through your area if you want to meet for a beer or at the range (just not those two together ;) ). Need to give my new tent a shakedown run before I go bear hunting with my brother in SE Alaska this April/May.

Thank you for the offer, I think I'll just buy a whole sage bow, I've been hemming and hawing about driving up to Lancaster archery for some in person instruction/help anyway so this just confirms that for me.

I am planning on heading west and doing a camping/shooting weekend sometime in the next month or so, likely in green ridge, which means I'd probably be passing through your area if you want to meet for a beer or at the range (just not those two together ;) ). Need to give my new tent a shakedown run before I go bear hunting with my brother in SE Alaska this April/May.

Nice, I was going to tell you there is a Traditional Bow Festival in May near Baltimore but Alaska sound ALOT better! Still jealous of the pictures you posted a few months ago.

Nice, I was going to tell you there is a Traditional Bow Festival in May near Baltimore but Alaska sound ALOT better! Still jealous of the pictures you posted a few months ago.
Ooh I'm going to look that up thanks. Just posted my green ridge idea in meetup section

Back