• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How long does it take you to get set up?

25ftup

SH Member
I’ve seen a lot of talk about doing it in one trip to save time and 1 stick to save weight, so I want to know how long it takes you all to get completely set up for a hunt? I mean in the tree, bow up, and accessories out that you typically use. If you use bolts, include the time to drill the holes; if you use spurs include putting them on and taking off if you do, etc.

I use 3 full size helium’s (Versa button and rope mod) with a single movable aider, and a ridge platform. Takes me about 20 minutes going slow and trying to be quiet.

Maybe 10 minutes. I take all up but bow. I pull that up last.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Can vary a little based on the tree, but about 10-15 min. I put one stick on then step up with second in hand and throw it on real quick. Then step down and clip my bow on pull rope, 3rd stick over my shoulder by the aider, backpack with platform in it on my back. I’m at height in well under 10, then a good 5 minutes of putting my pack on the tree, backband, wrist release, arrow nocked, etc.

I don’t think 20 is bad but it’s the top end of where I would want to be personally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going quiet I'm at 15-20 with the lone wolf hand climber. Thats from the time I get to the base of the tree to arrow knocked and leg loops loosened. Getting smoother and faster with every setup, but I'm happy with my time this year so far.

I’ve seen a lot of talk about doing it in one trip to save time and 1 stick to save weight, so I want to know how long it takes you all to get completely set up for a hunt? I mean in the tree, bow up, and accessories out that you typically use. If you use bolts, include the time to drill the holes; if you use spurs include putting them on and taking off if you do, etc.

I use 3 full size helium’s (Versa button and rope mod) with a single movable aider, and a ridge platform. Takes me about 20 minutes going slow and trying to be quiet.
Funny u should mention that. I had my first hunt Saturday and it took me 30 min. I was thinking "man that's way too long" but I know itll get smoother as time goes on. No matter what it's going to take longer than walking to to a pre-set and climbing up but I'm just going to have to plan for that. What's another 30 min of sleep, lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I progressed a lot this weekend. 1st time hunting single stick and moved spots 4 times. 1st time took me about 25 minutes. By the 4th I was up and ready in 10. 1st time was in the dark while 4th was broad daylight. Single stick up and using a homemade platform. Rapel down.

8-10 minutes with summit climber
30-45 mins with a saddle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes from the moment I get to the tree I want to climb. That includes unpacking and arranging at the base of the tree. If it's a gnarly tree, it can take longer.

With sticks I can be completely set up in 10 but it typically takes me 20-25. I try to be slow, methodical and most importantly silent.

5 we stepps and a 5 step aider. 3 steps going up and 2 for my platform. I pull my bow and pack up with me. If it's a straight no limb tree I'll be a 25 feet and all set up ready to hunt in 15 minutes going slow and quite, If I gotta go around branches 20 minutes.

I've had yes and locations take 30 a d some take 12. I've been timing myself out of curiosity as this is my first year with a saddle.

I used to be real worried about this thinking I have to be up as quick as possible. I stopped worrying about it and just relax. Let the process play out as smooth as it can. It makes for a much more enjoyable hunt.

Same goes for tree selection. I would stress so much. Now I just go with my gut feeling. It seams to work out for the better.

My nephew timed me once last season at 12 min to set 3 API sticks with single attached aider, platform and be tethered. It was a clean straight tree but I believe that’s a fairly average time to be safe and quiet.

If you’re worried about time, and it matters to you, then you should be taking into consideration how long it takes to come down and pack up too.

When you factor in the complete picture, pretty much all climbing methods and equipment get you into about the same window, plus or minus a couple minutes.

An accurate assessment involves any time spent at home or in truck managing the gear, the additional time spent walking in if it’s a heavier set of equipment, or one that requires you to constantly pull off brush or branches, the time to unpack the method at the base of the tree if necessary, the time to get yourself set up for the climb if necessary, the actual climb up, The actual climb down, the time to pack the method up and get ready to walk out, the additional time spent waking if it’s a heavier set of equipment, or one that requires you to constantly navigate brush hanging on it.

There’s been a few threads on the topic where you can get some good information. Folks have actually timed these things to give you a good idea.

After taking all of this stuff into consideration I use bolts, squirrel steps, and one stick/rappel. The light weight and ability to deploy when I walk up to tree and not have to do anything to prepare to climb, both make up for the increased time to climb.

Arrange the in your order of your priority. Move any one index and another will suffer. With a polished system you can narrow the gap between parameters.
  1. Safety
  2. Effort
  3. Sound\Noise
  4. Speed

I would add for morning hunts, I'm getting in way before shooting light. So, an extra 10 minutes (if quiet) doesn't really matter. I'm not able to shoot anything right when I get up anyway. Evening hunts I guess you could argue it matters, the time you spend climbing is time "exposed" and unable to shoot. But, I don't worry about it. I do pull my bow up first before I start organizing the rest of my gear so I can shoot if something comes by....

It’s not a race for me but the longer I spend climbing the hotter and sweatier I am once I get setup. Ten minutes is plenty of time.

The last time I went hunting it took a half hour from the time I started walking in, found a tree, climbed and pulled up my pack and arrow. I was about two hundred yards in so I guess it took me about 10 minutes to climb only using SRT/RADS.

Back