• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How many saddle set ups do you use

Muskyhunter

I am wondering how many saddle set ups everyone uses. I am in year 4 of saddle hunting and have settled on 3.

1. ESS Saddle, ROS and an EWO satchel. This is my minimalist set up. I use this set up for 6 hours or less and if I do not need to carry in extra layers.
2. ESS Saddle, ROS and Eberlestock X2. I use this set up 6 hours or less when I need extra layers.
3. JX3 and ROS. I use this set up for all day hunts.

It's a work in progress since this past season was my first season to hunt out of a saddle. I used a Recon sling with at ROS and 4 Lone Wolf Sticks with an aider as the go-to and used DRT sets a couple of times to get in some huge trees.

My plan is to use 2TC as my go to this fall along with the Recon sling and the ROS.

I have settled on my original saddle with a ring of steps for short evening hunts (same baseball back pack regardless of the trip, only my climbing method may change)
Now all day hunts, or multi day trips, I take my deluxe saddle with 2 slotted squirrel steps and a ridge runner platform.

I have settled on one saddle, a Cruzr XC with my "MRS" bridge. My climbing methods typically fluctuate between WEI Stepps and a K/S setup or SRT. WEI ROS when using the Stepps, and a OOAL angled Scout with a 2-step ROS when climbing SRT. I've owned and tried 10-15 different saddles and almost all the climbing methods lol, and this is where I personally settled (so far...). We won't go into the money that has been "cleaned" through my "investments" haha!

2 right now.
Anderson tree sling I’ve had for 30 years, modified bridge. SRT or sticks.
Mantis for JRB.
Thinking of trying a Driad drey.

1 saddle XC (sold my backups)
2 platforms - Perch and EDP

That’s all I use anymore

ESS with Trophyline sticks and a Mission platform.
Areo hunter Flex with Muddy pro sticks and a ring of Ameristeps.
Cruzr XC with Helium sticks and a ring of rope on steps.
Guidos Web with Wild Edge steps and Mission platform.
Treesuit saddle with Skeletor sticks and a ring of Ameristeps.
Also have a set of 4 full length Lonewolf sticks that I use now and then.
My favorite saddle is the ESS.

Cruzr XC and angled scout on EWO 1 stick primary. Usually with a few steps
Method 2 and Skeletors with Predator secondary.

Last edited:
Tethrd mantis and an ess
Sticks
One stick
Srt
Bolts
Cranford steps
Ring of steps
Predator platform.
I don’t much feel like typing an essay on how and why I use so much but believe it or not I use most of it throughout each season

I have the cruzr xc with ewo ropes and pouches
3stick set and 4 stick set of ewo feather lights with the amsteel guy aiders
mission, edp, and kuhnerts platform
eberlestock x2 to pack whatever i need wherever

I got a transformer, kestrel, and Cobra. Plan to sell one once I spend some more time in the cobra.
Predator/mission. (Would be happy with just an EDP) but not enough to trade/sell these off to do it. All day sit is usually with the mission.
EWO one stick, and set of hawks.
Last season was 1 stick with the Transformer or a few sits I did the sticks and kestrel.
If I am on the private, I mix things up some depending on the tree I am headed to.

Use…..only 1 at the moment. My XOP platform and XOP sticks, with a heavily modified XOP/ewo saddle. I have my trophy line saddle as a backup and my rock harness as emergency/stand hanging.
As far as sticks go, in addition to my XOP ultras I have hawk mini sticks, my muddy pros & my hawk 30’s with a platform that mounts on a stick. I’m Naldo have a hawk seat I can use as a platform lol f needed

Also xop platform with heavily modified xop saddle. Climb with just the xop platform with a homemade 2 step aider.

I have an Overwatch Transformer which is probably going to be my primary. I also have an AH Flex and a Cruzr XC and a JX3. I will probably get rid of several of those eventually.

Back