• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How Much Total Weight do You Carry

Silvio

I weighed my saddle set up today on a very accurate live stock scale. The items inside my Badlands pack are as follows

Back pack
(7) WE Steps
Predator Platform
Pack Rabbit Frame
Linesman belt
Tether
Kestrel Saddle
Small pack saw
Knife
Grunt call
Aider
Squirrel Steps Strap OCB
(2) ropeman ones
20190716_193428.jpg
Total weight 26lbs excluding my bow and water...

Last edited:
Predator platform and squirrel steps? Is that just for versatility or are you using both at the same time?

I was north of 35# last year with a lock on. Switching to saddle this year and working towards under #20

I weighed my saddle setup the other day and was sub 24lbs without bow and water. Was around 40 last year with a hang on. I could probably cut down even more lbs but I'm more focused on packability and slimming things down than cutting weight.
Ya, I'm with you...the small pack fits me very well, and is a drastic change from hauling a LW hang on, four sticks, plus a backpack. I've been hiking and hauling different setups in my pack the last four days and I'm +/- 2.5 pounds depending on what I'm doing for a particular hunting senario.

Got me interested..I honestly have no clue. Now I have to weigh it....I really wanna know because I've changed so much of my kit throughout this off season. I would say last season was around 20-25lbs.

Got me interested..I honestly have no clue. Now I have to weigh it....I really wanna know because I've changed so much of my kit throughout this off season. I would say last season was around 20-25lbs.
I'm hoping we can find out what would be a good average weight everyone is carrying for run and gun. And then have a good discussion on how we can trim out some weight without sacrificing any safety

Just weighed my kit. I'm right at 19lbs.

Kestrel Flex
8mm Oplux tether with Kong duck
4 WE steps and bag
Perch
5 step aider
Backpack
GPS
Knife
Head lamp
Surefire
Range finder
Nalgene bottle
Bow
Quiver and 5 arrows
Bow release

I don't know how I could trim much more weight. Might save a pound when I use my mantis instead of the flex.......

Back