• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How short is too short?

bigcat93

SH Member
Looking at chopping down 1 of my skeletors.

How short would be too short? 10-12” too little?

7 3/4 Hawk Helium super-mini sticks to the tree like it's welded on. Go for it

Attachments

• 20240107_082425.jpg
    20240107_082425.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 101
i one stick climb with a mini-shikar with the angled scout platform on the bottom with a 3-step aider. It works well, packs easily, and is very light. The question is what is your intended goal? If you don’t mind essentially climbing on the aiders mostly, then go short. That’s what I do, climb the aiders then stand on the platform as I get ready make the next move, or when at hunting height then I’m on the platform anyway.

If you want the extra steps that a stick with two sets of steps provide then I would space it more like 14-15” or so. Anything shorter really is a waste of a stick for that purpose.

This is just my personal opinion.

7 3/4 Hawk Helium super-mini sticks to the tree like it's welded on. Go for it

Crazy thought here and maybe I just have to measure it, but would it be possible to take a full length helium, add the helium platform inlieu of the top steps, and cut it at your length to make a tiny one stick (all as you've done) while leaving the bottom two steps as a helium mini? You'd have to add a pair of standoffs to the setup of course, but I think it would work.

Why though? Unless it protrudes and catches stuff the way you pack it, I just don't understand. Not calling you out specfically, I never understood the mini stick thing from the get go.

Why though? Unless it protrudes and catches stuff the way you pack it, I just don't understand. Not calling you out specfically, I never understood the mini stick thing from the get go.

Not sure if you mean me or the OP, but an 8" packaging would be about as small as humanly possible. And in my case, I already have the 30" sticks so I could have both the tiny version and the regular mini version available to me. I've thought about cutting down my 1-stick 30" long helium to a shortie, but didn't like the idea of wasting the top.

For me I didn't see carrying a 20in stick when I can only attach it so high " reaching the cam cleat "..So, I cut it down now its more packable , easy to fit in my pack , lite and I can pull up my aider to the bottom of the platform so I don't have them dangling in the wind. If I 2T/C I can take the aider off and just use the platform.

Not sure if you mean me or the OP, but an 8" packaging would be about as small as humanly possible. And in my case, I already have the 30" sticks so I could have both the tiny version and the regular mini version available to me. I've thought about cutting down my 1-stick 30" long helium to a shortie, but didn't like the idea of wasting the top.

You could get standoffs from ewo for the hawk sticks. This way you don’t have to waist the stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First you shorten the stick, then you dream about a system that's just a bolt to hang an aider and a cam cleat on a triangular standoff, then you lost the standoff and dream up a cam cleat and aider attached directly to a tether, and then you dream up how to replace the cam cleat with a hitch or passing the cord through the eye in the end of the tether instead and BAM all of a sudden you're into 2TC.

First you shorten the stick, then you dream about a system that's just a bolt to hang an aider and a cam cleat on a triangular standoff, then you lost the standoff and dream up a cam cleat and aider attached directly to a tether, and then you dream up how to replace the cam cleat with a hitch or passing the cord through the eye in the end of the tether instead and BAM all of a sudden you're into 2TC.

you don't have to tell me twice. I already 2TC as my primary climbing method. But I can see the appeal of a mini stick and integrated platform. I haven't decided if I like 2TC or 1-sticking more. At the moment 2TC is winning because coveris off the trees around here so the only way to get out of eyeline is to go up. In that case, most of the trees here are branchless until 25' or so. That's perfect for 2TC. Early season I can get into smaller trees which have a lot more branches that I don't want to 2TC. I ran sticks this year but I think 1-sticking might be better.

1 sticking is my preferred method unless its a big tree 2T/C is far better also if the tree is leaning hard I find it easier to 2T/C than 1 sticking. I love my mini stick!!!

Back