• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hoyt or Bowtech?

WhiteOakAcorn

I was looking for a new bow this year since the one I have been using is finally showing signs of wear. After 15 years and many deer it's time. I don't need anything crazy top end but something decent. I like the "HOYT PowerMax" or the "BOWTECH Carbon Icon". I thought I would post something out here to see what feedback anyone might have for a good budget bow. Thank you!

Have you sen the new Mathews Vertix? Great tech in that bow! You can adjust poundage and draw and letoff with just module changes. All feedback seems to say its absolutely dead in the hand with no vibration. I've been shooting the same bow since 2004 and I'm really tempted by the Vertix.

Last summer I had a limb failure on my bowtech, and not knowing how long it would take to get it back from Bowtech, I needed a bow to shoot and possibly hunt with. I zeroed in on both the powermax and the carbon icon as both were in my comfortable spending zone. I ended up going with the Hoyt. It was a nice bow, I was used to a higher end bow, but I got used to it and was ready to use it during the season. Then my bow came back from bowtech and I no longer needed it. Sold it but I wish I did not. Needed the money. I would recommend going with the Hoyt as the bowtechs have limb de-lamination issues.

My advice is shoot the bows that interest you and pick the winner. Otherwise you are just getting into another tired Ford vs. Chevy debate.
Absolutely. Bud vs Miller. Levi vs Wrangler. Blondes vs brunettes. Typical vs nontypical.

Working in a shop for 5 years, I can tell you that every manufacurer makes "quality" bows. Even the $400 combo deals Bear and PSE make are very well made. The high-end boys all make some phenomenal models. They all also have a few turds in the lineup. I lean towards Bear for budget bows, and Matthews and Elite for spendy, but I've shot Hoyts that knocked my socks off. Even Bowtech (spits) has some models I enjoyed shooting.

Shoot as many as possible, and buy the one that makes you feel good.

My advice is shoot the bows that interest you and pick the winner. Otherwise you are just getting into another tired Ford vs. Chevy debate.

Agreed. Let the bow pick you. Between those two I'd pick the Hoyt in that price category but if the Bowtech feels better go that route. Could also go for a year old bow and save a pile of money and have a top of the line model. Lots of guys buy new every year and offload their "old" rig at a big loss.

Thank you for all the feedback. I really appreciate it. I have never been one for jumping on to the latest and greatest. I have always just preferred what works and once I settle in I tend to stick with it for a long time. There are a couple of guys that I know that seem to change to a new bow setup every year. I have shot the Carbon Icon and really liked it but I am comparing to a bow that is more than 15 years old. Lol. I'm headed to the bow shop tonight and will shoot the Hoyt and an Elite. I don't think I can go wrong with any of them which is why I'm probably going in all directions. Thank you again for the feedback. I'll post an update once I settle on one of these.

I shoot the Hoyt PowerMax due to the price point. I love it! I wasn't sure if I would really get back into bow hunting or if it was just a fad I was going through.....I had never used a compound bow before, turns out I'm hooked again like I was many years ago with a recurve, most days I could care if I rifle hunt deer during rifle season. Some day I'll upgrade to something higher end but I've got more important things to spend on for now!

Last edited:
Got a Hoyt Powermax 4 years ago after accidentally running over my old school PSE after an evening hunt. I love it. The big thing to keep in mind is "know your driving distance to your nearest Hoyt dealer" since non-Hoyt dealers wont (or shouldnt) touch it due to voiding the warranty. The only thing I dont like about Hoyt is you practically wont be able to find a sight light. If you can overlook that, I think you'll love it too.

Look on Craigslist or Facebook sale sites, here in IL with Xbows taking off you cam find a couple year bows set up for half of what a new one cost.

I’ll say don’t over look the new Bear bows. I sold my last compound when I went to a longbow but they have some nice bows and great CS if you need it. Bowtech are the most tunable with split static yokes and smooth as all get out. They have gotten a handle on the limb issues as of late. If I ever had to go back to a wheelbow it would most definitely be another Bowtech. Not a fanboy of any brand I just know what I shot the best and could had the most success with at the range and in the woods. Get whichever one you feel will give you the most confidence in your abilities. Confidence kills.

What ever you shoot better
I have shot and owned alot of different bowtechs just due to the fact they fit me well and i like tuning and tinkering but if I picked up any other bow and shot it better I wouldn't hesitate to switch..
Dont be a brand loyal fanboy, i used to buy a new bow every year and now it's about every other year and I shoot every bow I can get my grubby mitts on before buying one..

Currently own a bowtech btx 28 and a obsession defcon 6 both awesome bows that can be picked up really cheap right now!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Go shoot them all. Not just those two brands, everything you can get your hands on. This year I decided I was going to buy a new bow and shot 21 bows before I made my decision and was surprised with what felt the best.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Go shoot them all. Not just those two brands, everything you can get your hands on. This year I decided I was going to buy a new bow and shot 21 bows before I made my decision and was surprised with what felt the best.

What did you end up with?

I ended up ordering a Athens Ridge 34, the Elite Ritual 35 and Xpedition Denali we're a close 2nd and 3rd. The RX3 was dead last

I say try them both. Even if you have to drive a good way. I sold my high country supreme back in the early 2000s and haven’t had a bow I liked as much since. We’re talking 40 inch axle to axle short brace height, 3 inch overdraw chunking 26” arrows at about 260 FPS. I should have kept the bow and bought a rangefinder instead. I don’t know that I will ever shoot another 40” compound but may consider a 36-38” bow for my next one.

Back