• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I got something for those squirrels

Andrew920

SH Member
85ed2fb01ceea5765daa7cb08c36cab2.jpg

It’ll take some practice, but I’ll be ready next season. Let one of ‘‘em start chattering at me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice!

I use this:

with 7/16 steel balls, it's deadly...the count is up to 18 so far this year! ;)

Nice!

I use this:

with 7/16 steel balls, it's deadly...the count is up to 18 so far this year! ;)
How accurate can you get with one of these?

Well, just like Trad Bows, or blow guns, or anything-it depends on how much you shoot them.

I'm "lucky" enough to have a HUGE herd of squirrels that constantly attack the REAL BOSS'S bird feeders (which I have been placed in charge of since my retirement,;) ) & she's NOT happy about them....so, I figure that's why God makes 'em by the millions...so I can "thin a few out" with the slingshot, (or my Trad Bow, when she ain't lookin'!;))

With the slingshot, when I get a head shot, they drop immediately. A body shot with the 7/16 steel slows 'em down enough that I can usually finish 'em off with another shot (I keep a spare ball in my mouth for quick reloads!) My shots are normally between 5-10 yds.

Like anything, it takes practice!

Well, just like Trad Bows, or blow guns, or anything-it depends on how much you shoot them.

I'm "lucky" enough to have a HUGE herd of squirrels that constantly attack the REAL BOSS'S bird feeders (which I have been placed in charge of since my retirement,;) ) & she's NOT happy about them....so, I figure that's why God makes 'em by the millions...so I can "thin a few out" with the slingshot, (or my Trad Bow, when she ain't lookin'!;))

With the slingshot, when I get a head shot, they drop immediately. A body shot with the 7/16 steel slows 'em down enough that I can usually finish 'em off with another shot (I keep a spare ball in my mouth for quick reloads!) My shots are normally between 5-10 yds.

Do you prefer broadside or slightly quartered away? Are you getting pass threws?

I only expect "pass-thru's" when I use my bow! But, on some "close range" head & body shots with the slingshot, I have had "pass-thru's!"

The position of the squirrel is irrelevant, although I do prefer what I call the "Head-on shot," where he/she is up on the hind legs & facing me straight on-if I hit the head, it's over. If I miss, no harm. If I go low & hit in the chest, it's still over, it just takes a couple more minutes! ;)

Get you a piece of 2x12 and drive a big nail through it. Stob an ear of corn on there and set it in front of your bow target. Dont need blood trails around the bird feeder for She who must be obeyed to find.

I had a blown gun, back in high school. Tons and tons of fun, especially when I was supposed to be doing homework, chores, etc. I never shot a squirrel with one, but I imagine it'll have zero trouble getting the job done. It really is amazing how much power you can put behind those darts.

Here is a fun blowgun hunting video that I haven't seen in close to 10 years:

85ed2fb01ceea5765daa7cb08c36cab2.jpg

It’ll take some practice, but I’ll be ready next season. Let one of ‘‘em start chattering at me!

Come cast the first stone over at

I absolutely love bufallo squirrel wings… But if you grow tired with cleaning those little suckers a piece of stove pipe wrapped around the feeder pole is incredibly effective. The thing about squirells is that if your yard has a carrying capacity for 20 of them, there will always be 20 no matter how many you sauté in garlic.

Last edited:
Y'all eating those skwerls or donating them to the local scavengers? I've always debated about "city" squirrels vs "woods" squirrels...

I’ve never eaten any, so the first few I’ll probably try. If I don’t care for the meat they’ll feed the yotes.

I have one of those! It was surprisingly easy to become decent with it. I’m not great by any means. I got one for Christmas and later that day I was hitting water bottles at reasonable ranges almost everytime

Perhaps I'll have to try them some time. Of course here in Maryland they're classified as small game with a hunting season so they are off limits until September ... We have 3 colors of squirrel here, red grey and black, would be fun to try to tan a few hides lol

Perhaps I'll have to try them some time. Of course here in Maryland they're classified as small game with a hunting season so they are off limits until September ... We have 3 colors of squirrel here, red grey and black, would be fun to try to tan a few hides lol
They are quite easy to brain tan, using dr bronners or ivory soap and some smoke.

Y'all eating those skwerls or donating them to the local scavengers? I've always debated about "city" squirrels vs "woods" squirrels...

city skwerls eat chicken just like everyone else.
i got to the jobsite a little early one day and got to video a skwerl dumpster diving for breakfast.

Back