• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I Need Someone to Slap My Face

CZMark

SH Member
Or kick my butt.

I got back into bow hunting 5 or 6 years ago when I lost the last of my goose hunting spots. A month ago, through no fault of my own, one of those spots was re-opened to me. Now, the waterfowl bug has again bitten me badly.

Instead of practicing my climbing techniques, I'm practicing my goose calling; instead of shooting my bow, I've been at the local sporting clays course. Early goose opens on Friday--I took the day off work and plan to hunt Friday, Saturday, and Monday. If things go well, there is no telling what could happen; If you think saddle hunting is an expensive rabbit hole, get into serious goose hunting.

Draw straws, flip coins, start a lottery or find a volunteer--one of you needs to come to my house and knock some sense into me.

Rented a house with another guy for 3-4 years after high school and into our early 20’s. We were good friends for awhile and both big into hunting in general, especially waterfowl hunting and would take what little money we had and pour it into decoys and weights and decoy bags and calls and waders and gloves and you get the idea. I moved out and went back to get my half of the stuff a couple months later. He had sold it all, bought a ring for a gal who, sadly, took that and moved on too.

I’d have been more mad but as the saying goes I’ve spent most of my money on booze and women, the rest I just wasted.

Or kick my butt.

I got back into bow hunting 5 or 6 years ago when I lost the last of my goose hunting spots. A month ago, through no fault of my own, one of those spots was re-opened to me. Now, the waterfowl bug has again bitten me badly.

Instead of practicing my climbing techniques, I'm practicing my goose calling; instead of shooting my bow, I've been at the local sporting clays course. Early goose opens on Friday--I took the day off work and plan to hunt Friday, Saturday, and Monday. If things go well, there is no telling what could happen; If you think saddle hunting is an expensive rabbit hole, get into serious goose hunting.

Draw straws, flip coins, start a lottery or find a volunteer--one of you needs to come to my house and knock some sense into me.

“If things go well, there is no telling what will happen”

LOL that’s good stuff right there

I understand completely. It's a rush when you have even a small flock of B-52 size honkers with wings locked and feet dangling. And in the right area, most hunts you can get in some shooting, compared to one shot in a dozen hunts like deer hunting.

And a chicken fried goose steak is heaven!

But it's not a either/or situation. Do what the calendar and the weather tells you to do!

I don't get it. I have done both seriously for years.

Early season goose may be my least favorite. Yea, you get shooting, but then you have a pile of hot meat to clean in 85 degree heat. And if you've ever smelled a dead goose in the heat, you know what I'm talking about.

I’ll come by to kick your butt but really it’s a ruse to go goose hunting! There is nothing like a group of honkers or greenheads cupped up and dumping in. I’d sell all of my saddle gear everyday of the week and twice on Sunday to waterfowl hunt. Sorry, I know that I’m being unhelpful. It’s a disease I know.

I don't get it. I have done both seriously for years.

Early season goose may be my least favorite. Yea, you get shooting, but then you have a pile of hot meat to clean in 85 degree heat. And if you've ever smelled a dead goose in the heat, you know what I'm talking about.
The great part about early season is we can kill five birds per day.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Saddle hunting for geese. Maybe you’re onto something - they’ll never see that coming.
Seriously tho it’s good to have other pursuits and hobbies. It doesn’t apply to everyone but I’ve known folks that got burnt out deer hunting cuz that’s all they did.

Or kick my butt.

You sound like you think this situation is a problem. I would encourage you to take up turkey hunting too so you will be a well rounded hunter. Stop acting like a quitter you pansy. :p

Yeah. What @BTaylor said. Stop sounding like an elite whitetail hunter who only downs 150"+ deer every year. Start acting like ol @Nutterbuster who is an equal opportunity freezer filler.
What climbing method are you trying to master? Stop watching the JRB channel. Sticks have been working for years. Hunt those gooses. When it's whitetail time don't over think the climbing method. Or just use a Pac-seat.
Deer don't care how cool and light weight your set up is.

Would somebody please just slap this guy in the face already?! Post video on YouTube, share what gear you’re “running” when you put the smack down, and remind everyone to smash the like and subscribe buttons or “they’re next, brother!” in your best Hulk Hogan voice. Ring announcing by one of the Buffer brothers, just like Tethrd!

Should start a poll, contest, or team to decide who gets the honors.

Back