• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Is anyone climbing with just the Predator Platform?

Gumbymedic

Just wondering if anyone is doing this? I've seen a couple videos of people just using other platforms @Red Beard , @Cbigbear but no one using just the Predator to climb. Is a camming type platform a viable option for "no sticking"?

It can be done but it's work. After the first little climb it's very short iterations after that because you can only reach so far. Unless someone has come up with some clever way recently, I wouldn't recommend it.

I do and think it is just fine. I put two 1"webbing aiders on the platform and that gets me about 7' every move. I have a DRt rope for the rappel down. I follow red Beards method to a t and it is pretty slick.

I do and think it is just fine. I put two 1"webbing aiders on the platform and that gets me about 7' every move. I have a DRt rope for the rappel down. I follow red Beards method to a t and it is pretty slick.
Are your aiders attached to the platform itself while it's cammed into position or are they attached to the post while the platform is folded?

Just attach a 5 step etrier to your platform, that way once you get to hunting height pack up the etrier so nothing is hanging below.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Just wondering if anyone is doing this? I've seen a couple videos of people just using other platforms @Red Beard , @Cbigbear but no one using just the Predator to climb. Is a camming type platform a viable option for "no sticking"?

My platform is a cam style. I keep it strapped almost shut while climbing. I don’t really see how a predator platform would be any different. I’m running a 2 step aider hooked on the platform post just above the standoff. Easy on easy off.

My platform is a cam style. I keep it strapped almost shut while climbing. I don’t really see how a predator platform would be any different. I’m running a 2 step aider hooked on the platform post just above the standoff. Easy on easy off.

Predator is the same like you mentioned. It stays strapped unless going around branches.

Sent from parts unknown

The Predator Platform's stand-off is at the very top of the post and there is no second stand-off. Are you talking about looping the aider like the pic?
Screenshot_20200725-182901_Gallery.jpg20200725_183028.jpg

Yes & my platform also only has one standoff.
Ok, thanks. I thought it would be easier? to have the aider attached to the platform like @Red Beard shows in his video with the Scout but was a little leary of climbing like that with the Predator. I will give your way a try. Thanks for the input.

Ok, thanks. I thought it would be easier? to have the aider attached to the platform like @Red Beard shows in his video with the Scout but was a little leary of climbing like that with the Predator. I will give your way a try. Thanks for the input.

You could attach the aider to the platform & it would likely help hold the aider open. I just prefer a quick attachment method so I can take it off at hunting height.

You could attach the aider to the platform & it would likely help hold the aider open. I just prefer a quick attachment method so I can take it off at hunting height.
Yes sir. Adding the aider to the platform keeps the aider spread apart nicely.

That makes sense. I think @Red Beard uses soft shackles. I may just have to give both ways a try.
Yes sir. Soft shackles ROCK.

Put them on the platform and space them so that they hold open and so you use the platform as a step. It’s barely harder than climbing a ladder this way.

Back