• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Its all in the hips

noxninja

Regarding my Sit Drag...would a longer runner reduce hip fatigue?

I know nothing about the sit drag, but with all saddles its all about angles. So simple answer is yes.

Thanks,
Boswell

Look at bridge length, tether height, body posture in relation to tree, placement of saddle on your but, etc. Body size and shape can have an affect. Many of the angles change if you bend your knees and rest against the tree. So many variables, just keep playing till you get it right. All saddles have hip pinch, some worse than others.

Look at bridge length, tether height, body posture in relation to tree, placement of saddle on your but, etc. Body size and shape can have an affect. Many of the angles change if you bend your knees and rest against the tree. So many variables, just keep playing till you get it right. All saddles have hip pinch, some worse than others.
Ken is right. You learn to deal with it. Eventually you barely notice it.

7f6c634a79f897d557d85ea7707cc019.gif

I find that a hookup too high - higher than eye height if i'm standing up - causes a lot of hip pinch and general discomfort. Anything lower than that though is generally fine.

I find that a hookup too high - higher than eye height if i'm standing up - causes a lot of hip pinch and general discomfort. Anything lower than that though is generally fine.

Exactly.... there is only one fulcrum that leverages the downward pressure

Were not talking about downward pressure, were talking about lateral pressure on the hips.
Were also not talking about tree strap height just bridge length. They both effect different things.
So, lets look at like this your sitting in a swing, like for a kid. You wont have much hip pinch right?
Now if your reach up and pull those two chains together at arms length (long bridge), you will feel a little more pinch at the hips, right?
Now reach about a foot in front of you and pull those to chains together(short bridge), you will feel a lot more pinch at the hips, right?
So shorter BRIDGE length cause more hip pinch, right?

So lets think of a triangle, with the base being a line from paw to paw or loop to loop and the legs being a bridge. When you decrease the angles at the paws you increase the hip pinch. When you increase those angles you decrease the hip pinch.

Again tree strap height is something different.

Thanks,
Boswell

Yea ok ...........

OP I recommend you give both a try, I think you may find, like a lot of us have, that lowering tether hook up will help alot with reducing hip pressure.

Last edited:
Not interested in a fight bro. He and I have very different methods to saddle hunting that's all. I had a long response but then changed it as it's not worth it.

I know !!! Just messing around with ya. A little fuel just brings the best out in you both and then everyone gains from the knowledge that that is presented :wink:

All I will say is that the angle your tether comes off the tree has biggest impact on where gravity will place pressure. The greater the angle the more placed on your feet. If someone stands on a playform or steps right next to tree... then keep moving further from tree making no other adjustments..... the more you move from tree the more you will feel in legs.... the closer the more you will feel in your butt/hips... simple principles of physical science. There is a limit to how much lengthening a bridge will reduce because it is not a hard angle due to the nature of the material.... it will always cause compression. There is not a lot of difference between 24-48 inch bridges unless you have a really wide hip. So while you may reduce it somewhat with bridge length, a far more productive means is to increase the angle your tether comes off tree which will move the total pressure more and more to your legs. When hanging straight down there is NO energy directed against gravity. The more your legs are put in place the more energy is taken off ass/hips and transfer to legs. There's a happy medium of course and each person will develop that the more they play with it. 20+ years of history shows the reason most gave up saddle hunting and that was due to discomfort..... now that shorter tethers are coming into vogue the more I see coming back to them. I gave up saddle use for that very reason.

I take no credit for shorter tether use.... John E, I believe, was the one that brought that to light. But I did pay attention in 6th grade Physical Science class.

Last edited:
To the OP you should try to play with your hook up. Try it high then go low. Find the sweet spot.

Back