• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Join me in a little experiment

Red Beard

SH Member
I have poor posture. Working at a desk for many years only made it worse. So, 4 years ago I attempted to improve it by purchasing a posture correcting back brace. It worked wonderfully. Really helped align my shoulders and back properly. Continued use even helped subdue some chronic sciatic pain. However, sustained use (like many hours 5-6 days per week) became uncomfortable around my arm pit area and I eventually stopped using it. Two days ago I remembered that I had the brace and decided to start using it again. Glad I did because I felt immediate relief.

And now to the point of the post! I normally never do any kind of physical activity while wearing the brace (rightfully so... it's kind of restrictive). Yesterday though, I happened to pick up my bow and fling 3 arrows with it on and I was COMPLETELY surprised at the results. My normal group at 15yds had shrunk to all 3 arrows touching. Thinking this was a fluke, I ran outside and let them fly at 20yds. Those arrows were within 2 inches of each other. With a grin on my face I went back to 20yds and flung them again. Results were comparable and I began to think that I was either totally on my game that day, or the brace had affected my form for the better.

Well today the Prime man delivered a brace that is more comfortable (also wraps around the torso instead of just the shoulders) and so I immediately slapped it on and went to shoot again. Again since I was wowed by the results, thought I'd share the account with yall and see of anyone else has had a similar experience. If you haven't -and are currently experiencing posture issues you'd like address- maybe you'd like to conduct a little experiment with me to see if your groups get better when using a back brace?

Edit: Maybe you don't have posture issues but would like to see if a $20 brace has an impact on your groups... you're welcome to join in as well! ;)

First brace I ever tried...
Screenshot_20220409-202541_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20220409-202545_Samsung Internet.jpg

And the brace I just got today...
Screenshot_20220409-202847_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
I work with a young man that has bad posture.
I suggested a brace for him two years ago.
Unfortunately he never tried one.

In grade school my teacher used to walk down the desk rows as we did our work and she would sit me up into good posture, first one hand on my chest and one on my back then when I sat up she would finish with a hand under my chin to raise it.

I don't think kids get that kind of attention these days.

I am happy for you. Glad the brace has helped your shooting.

Also of note, compounds are not excluded in this experiment. If you have a compound and would like to participate, please do! I only began listed the thread here because my compound is a total laser and shot placement out to 35yds is predictable and repeatable. I could tell no tangible difference between shooting it with the brace on or without.

Also of note, compounds are not excluded in this experiment. If you have a compound and would like to participate, please do! I only began listed the thread here because my compound is a total laser and shot placement out to 35yds is predictable and repeatable. I could tell no tangible difference between shooting it with the brace on or without.
55 yards and report back

I’m intrigued. Archery benefits aside, do you think the brace will actually improve long term posture?

In my mind this is very plausible. One because with your posture upright your form is better and stacked as the coaches call it and two you’ll engage your back muscle to pull through the shot. I’m speaking as a compound archer, perhaps that translates to stick bows as well? I have a brace, I’ll have to get this and report back

Can this double as second tether in 2TC?
I think it can, lol. I read this thread last night and it got me thinking. I DIY'd this up first thing this morning out of an existing loop since I woke up with a neck ache. One inch tubular webbing with a tri-glide buckle. Loosen the loop, put your arms through it and tighten the tri-glide behind your neck with your shoulders back until it is tight. It seems to work pretty well. I was able to get one heck of a neck pop out of it. I haven't tried it yet but I'm thinking the carabiner could be attached to the back of a belt.

Attachments

• DIY.jpg
    DIY.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 32
I’m intrigued. Archery benefits aside, do you think the brace will actually improve long term posture?
I think posture is definitely improved while wearing it. Feeling the resistance throughout the day is a great reminder to straighten up. Without it on though, I don't have that reminder and find myself slouching.

It appears that you could add to D-rings or other suitable connection point to the strap that run around your torso and have a heck of a back brace for your saddle as well

It appears that you could add to D-rings or other suitable connection point to the strap that run around your torso and have a heck of a back brace for your saddle as well
I'll try it when I get off work today. Might be counterproductive though since the brace is holding you back and a saddle connection would be pulling forward toward the tree.

So @Red Beard are you thinking of wearing this brace with the chest rig while in the saddle, or just the brace as a training aid for practice? I’m wondering how comfortable straps on straps when hunting would be. (Even for guys who wear a backpack in and then remove it at the stand.)

So @Red Beard are you thinking of wearing this brace with the chest rig while in the saddle, or just the brace as a training aid for practice? I’m wondering how comfortable straps on straps when hunting would be. (Even for guys who wear a backpack in and then remove it at the stand.)
Yeah the chest rig gets removed and hung up at hunting height. Can't imaging trying to navigate shooting with it on and not having interference with my bridge. I did do a wee trial yesterday where I put the chest rig on over top of the back brace and went out to shoot at 20yds. The results were favorable.

I'll try it when I get off work today. Might be counterproductive though since the brace is holding you back and a saddle connection would be pulling forward toward the tree.
I'm seeing it used as a backband/recliner replacement, but I've never wore that style of brace before so it may not work out in practice

Back