• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kestrel Flex & Tethrd Mantis

Sequoia

Saw that ASAT camo pattern on the Flex and pulled the trigger - does that make me a crazed groupie? Maybe... I’ve been hunting out of an evolution for the past 4 years so I figured it was time to update the dinosaur.

What makes things interesting is I also have a tethrd mantis on order as of a month ago, I guess I’ll see which one gets here first. Going to evaluate the pros/cons and sell the one that doesn’t work for me.

I’ll probably post a vid comparing the two when I get them. I’m excited to see which one I’ll gravitate towards... the featherweight mantis or the slightly beefier Flex. We shall see...

Well obviously my flex isn't here yet but I do have a mantis and a kite and they are very different. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I'm hoping the flex is the solid in between that will be my go to saddle. That being said, I can hunt all day out of either of them. I did however mod my mantis pretty extensively. I wasn't happy with the G hooks. They always seemed to wanna fall out while walking and climbing so I changed those out for quick release buckles and added webbing retainers so I didn't have straps hanging everywhere. Also switched out the raptor buckle because it made noise. The amsteel bridge got super fuzzy pretty quick and didn't make me feel great about it so I changed the bridge to a climbing runner and delta links. After I did all that I am pretty happy with it.

Well obviously my flex isn't here yet but I do have a mantis and a kite and they are very different. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I'm hoping the flex is the solid in between that will be my go to saddle.

I’m hoping so too

I ordered one in Predator camo. I like my Kestrel but I really like Predator camo. I'll just add it to my collection that would be my fourth saddle. Can't have too many.
It sure would be nice if you had it to bring to the Pgh PA-looza. Probably a slim (and none) chance of that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Well obviously my flex isn't here yet but I do have a mantis and a kite and they are very different. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I'm hoping the flex is the solid in between that will be my go to saddle. That being said, I can hunt all day out of either of them. I did however mod my mantis pretty extensively. I wasn't happy with the G hooks. They always seemed to wanna fall out while walking and climbing so I changed those out for quick release buckles and added webbing retainers so I didn't have straps hanging everywhere. Also switched out the raptor buckle because it made noise. The amsteel bridge got super fuzzy pretty quick and didn't make me feel great about it so I changed the bridge to a climbing runner and delta links. After I did all that I am pretty happy with it.
Would love to see your mods on your mantis!

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/diy-sportsman-sportsmens-nation/id1451319563

Here is review and comparison. All the information is available in the podcast above.

Reasons to buy the new flex... more comfort ... you are between a size 1 and 2 in the kestrel.... better camo..... slightly lighter than the kestrel. The lineman's loops are further ahead on the flex. The bridge options are better.
If you love the kestrel and are saving money... forget about the flex. But if not get a flex and sell the kestrel or flex after trying both.

The flex is slightly less durable than the kestrel but the kestrel will last a lifetime. The flex will last the rest of this 61 year old's life.

I expect it will be the most comfortable saddle - outside of the JX 3.

I expect each saddle has it's benefits.

Mantis... lightest most minimalist type of saddle Best in a hot climate suited to a leaning position
Kite.... light similar to the mantis and similar to the Kestrel... half of the benefits of each. Excellent in hot weather..
Flex.... likely the most comfortable for most people.best for a sitter
Kestrel .... most durable and very comfortable just my opinion and Heavier best for a sitter
JX 3 ... no backpack needed... heaviest... carries well... very very very comfortable.

Last year I used the JX3 the most when I got in Novemeber because I like comfort and the Kestrel was used the second most. I sold the Kestrel to buy the Flex. I still have the Mantis when I want to sit for a short time or for setting up trees to hunt.

I have not received any free gear from anyone... so I don't consider myself biased

Things that affect my decisions... comfort... easy of carrying .... weight. Maybe weight is overrated. Some like to be a minimalist over comfort. That is why we all have different preferences. I hope all these companies succeed because they satisfy different needs.

Just my take and I have tried several of them...I have not tried the Kite or the Flex yet.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/diy-sportsman-sportsmens-nation/id1451319563

Here is review and comparison. All the information is available in the podcast above.

Reasons to buy the new flex... more comfort ... you are between a size 1 and 2 in the kestrel.... better camo..... slightly lighter than the kestrel. The lineman's loops are further ahead on the flex. The bridge options are better.
If you love the kestrel and are saving money... forget about the flex. But if not get a flex and sell the kestrel or flex after trying both.

The flex is slightly less durable than the kestrel but the kestrel will last a lifetime. The flex will last the rest of this 61 year old's life.

I expect it will be the most comfortable saddle - outside of the JX 3.

I expect each saddle has it's benefits.

Mantis... lightest most minimalist type of saddle Best in a hot climate suited to a leaning position
Kite.... light similar to the mantis and similar to the Kestrel... half of the benefits of each. Excellent in hot weather..
Flex.... likely the most comfortable for most people.best for a sitter
Kestrel .... most durable and very comfortable just my opinion and Heavier best for a sitter
JX 3 ... no backpack needed... heaviest... carries well... very very very comfortable.

Last year I used the JX3 the most when I got in Novemeber because I like comfort and the Kestrel was used the second most. I sold the Kestrel to buy the Flex. I still have the Mantis when I want to sit for a short time or for setting up trees to hunt.

I have not received any free gear from anyone... so I don't consider myself biased

Things that affect my decisions... comfort... easy of carrying .... weight. Maybe weight is overrated. Some like to be a minimalist over comfort. That is why we all have different preferences. I hope all these companies succeed because they satisfy different needs.

Just my take and I have tried several of them...I have not tried the Kite or the Flex yet.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Writing all this while driving a tractor on auto steer
714e662b9488a9d0ed00e40e806c2255.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No time to turkey hunt but had time to order a flex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I need to get off this site and stop reading these posts/reviews. I haven't even tried a saddle yet (have had a mantis on order for what seems like eternity) and was already tempted to order another one from aerohunter. It's a disease. Recognizing it is the first step to recovery?

Back