• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Keto - If you're a saddle hunter, I think you'll dig it.

Tjraley2

Vendor Rep
Okay guys so I saw keto mentioned in another thread and rather than derail that thread, I figured I'd post something here.

A few months ago, I jumped into the world of keto and intermittent fasting. Within two weeks, I felt terrific. My energy was through the roof and stable throughout the day, I was losing weight, and I lost that bloated feeling in my gut. It has been hard to keep it up for three reasons.

First, I really didn't know what I was doing. Keto info seems to be spread out all over the web with a lot of mixed opinions.

Second, my wife and three kids did not change their diets to keto. They eat quite a bit better than I do, no sweets, processed food, or added sugar. But for them fruits are acceptable snacks and other carb filled foods are normal.

Third, keto meals for the family don't seem to be as simple as some other options. I think this is just because I haven't found the right resource.

So, I'm about ready to try keto again as there are just too many benefits and I felt soooooo good while doing it.

That said, any tips from you guys who've been on the keto road a while?
Any resources that were especially helpful?
What are your favorite EASY (My wife and I both work and we have a 4 year old, a 2year old, and a 4 month old) keto meals and snacks?

I'm not on the keto train, but it's a nobrainer that a reduced carb diet would lead to weight loss. It gets results for a lot of folks. Ultimately I think it goes back to calories in vs calories out. I lost 40lbs and have experienced many of the benefits attributed to keto (better energy, less bloating, etc.)

That being said, my go-to "keto" snacks are eggs, sardines, and cheese. Definitely better for you than Snickers and a Coke, but a little harder on your trenchermates. Pickled quail eggs are particularly tasty.

I lost 40lbs and still follow keto and will always. Once you research what’s really good for a human and not the bs gov garbage most would try eating this way. It was eye opening to see what was said to be bad and what was said to be good was totally switched and real science proves it

What’s the best information or lists of food y’all can give me. Where to go on the net for clarity?

Dr. Berg youtube has 1000s of videos and is a good source. You can also google keto food lists. I like Dr Berg because he also promotes eating a ton of green veggies and to heal the body first - they weight loss will come naturally.

I started on the Beast Forum- Taking the KETO plunge
I listened to Dr. Berg podcast as well as Two KETO dudes. and on youtube there's a couple called Keto connect.
I keep the essentials at the house for when my wife cooks non keto food. Easy is burgers, eggs, hard boiled eggs, bacon, spinach and broccoli I stock up on frozen.
Always have blue cheese dressing, butter, mayo, avocado oil around.
I find it easy when I eat out although I drive the waitress and my family crazy with all the questions I ask.
I do intermittent fasting now too and only eat once a day at dinner 8PM. My wife says it's expensive to cook dinner for me, but eating once a day isn't expensive. Restaurants always do free butter/ mayo and blue cheese but the extra bacon veggies etc can get expensive.
Mcdonalds you can buy a round egg only with bacon at the drive thru.
Wendys I do a baconator no bun extra lettuce.
Dropped from 275 down to 220...I am coasting at 225 now. started July 9th.

I find myself going on and off the Keto train. Mostly on, but I do allow myself to indulge from Thanksgiving to new year. While on, I lose weight and feel better. Now, during holiday / end of year I tend to go off, then back on in January.

For me, learning that low carb does not mean high protein, but adequate protein helped me a lot. Good fats and green veggies first, adequate protein next and stay off the carbs.

I have a purpose built microwave safe steamer, similar to
https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Sili...44723100&sr=8-9&keywords=microwave+steam+bowl

And when hungry I steam green veggies (Brussels sprouts, broccoli, spinach, etc. ...) and put some olive oil on them and eat them. Then, if still hungry, on to some lean animal flesh protein. Then I snack on nuts between meals.

Steaming veggies only takes a few minutes, and I also do that when my my wife is serving up the baked macaroni or pasta. It makes it easy for me to get away from the carbs and have that full / satiated feeling.

I am not advanced like DaveT and others with the IF and special coffee. Maybe one day, but for now, I am content with sticking to the basics for most of the year.

I went off for Thanksgiving and will go off for Christmas day. I have an Aruba family vacation next week and besides over drinking I will stay strict. Probably not much IF will happen tho.

I would try the Keto but I love my draft beers to much.

I finally brought beer back in but I do Mich ultras...I know Chickalob.
I brought back a glass of wine with my wife at dinner too - That was the one thing I missed the most.

A follow up question for you pros out there, IF and WHEN you have a cheat meal or a couple beers, what's your opinion on how quickly you get back into ketosis? In your experience, does a couple beers on the weekend kick you out of ketosis if you're strict with carb intake otherwise?

Nutterbuster - KETO has clinically proven, peer reviewed health benefits - strict KETO heals many issues with organs, cancer and the body. Just FYI
I have a sister who is a licensed fitness instructor, and a good friend who has lost 147lbs (not a typo) on keto. I'm familiar with the information that's out there, and I'm not denying keto's effectiveness.

My only caveat is that there's more than one way to skin a cat. Controlled, healthy weight loss in general is proven to have numerous positive impacts on overall health. And if you ate 4,000 keto calories a day and never exercised, you wouldn't magically lose weight and feel better.

As OP mentioned, keto is restrictive. Humans are omnivores, and can live healthy lives on a variety of diets. Cutting out all carbs is a rather extreme way to achieve something that can arguably be done in a simpler way. It's relatively easy to drastically improve upon the average SAD diet. Eat less junk, eat more veggies, put the fork down, and move a little.

I'm always happy to see people improving their health. We all only have one body, and when it's done; game over. If keto works for somebody I dont want to stand in the way.

But I do think there's a touch of "fad" to the keto thing. Nutrition studies are notoriously inaccurate, since you can't exactly shove people in a box and feed them through a slot over a 20 year period. I don't think the official stance towards keto will change over time, I know it will.

Fat used to be "bad." My great grandmother was put on a no fat diet, and developed early-onset Alzheimer's. Now the generally accepted theorem is that the brain needs fat. Moderation could have prevented a very slow and painful death for her. I sincerely hope high protein, low carb diets do not have similar long-term affects.

A follow up question for you pros out there, IF and WHEN you have a cheat meal or a couple beers, what's your opinion on how quickly you get back into ketosis? In your experience, does a couple beers on the weekend kick you out of ketosis if you're strict with carb intake otherwise?
its not like that - jumping in and out of keto will not allow you to fat adapt and get the health benefits. You might can loose weight, but the long term health benefits are a lifestyle.

If you like podcasts, check out The Joe Rogan Experience. A small amount of Googling will line you up with the episodes in which he has experts on nutrition, ketogenic diets, intermittent fasting, etc. Dr. Rhonda Patrick has been a guest several times, and you may want to check out her stuff. Dr. Dom D'Agostino is another expert that's been on Rogan's show. Rogan, himself, is practically an expert and talks at length about the benefits and how he personally does it. His show is also a great resource for places to buy keto friendly snacks. Check him out, you won't regret it.

its not like that - jumping in and out of keto will not allow you to fat adapt and get the health benefits. You might can loose weight, but the long term health benefits are a lifestyle.

That's what I was thinking. Where do you try to keep your carbs? I see some folks say under 50, some under 25, and some say its unique to each person.

I have a sister who is a licensed fitness instructor, and a good friend who has lost 147lbs (not a typo) on keto. I'm familiar with the information that's out there, and I'm not denying keto's effectiveness.

My only caveat is that there's more than one way to skin a cat. Controlled, healthy weight loss in general is proven to have numerous positive impacts on overall health. And if you ate 4,000 keto calories a day and never exercised, you wouldn't magically lose weight and feel better.

As OP mentioned, keto is restrictive. Humans are omnivores, and can live healthy lives on a variety of diets. Cutting out all carbs is a rather extreme way to achieve something that can arguably be done in a simpler way. It's relatively easy to drastically improve upon the average SAD diet. Eat less junk, eat more veggies, put the fork down, and move a little.

I'm always happy to see people improving their health. We all only have one body, and when it's done; game over. If keto works for somebody I dont want to stand in the way.

But I do think there's a touch of "fad" to the keto thing. Nutrition studies are notoriously inaccurate, since you can't exactly shove people in a box and feed them through a slot over a 20 year period. I don't think the official stance towards keto will change over time, I know it will.

Fat used to be "bad." My great grandmother was put on a no fat diet, and developed early-onset Alzheimer's. Now the generally accepted theorem is that the brain needs fat. Moderation could have prevented a very slow and painful death for her. I sincerely hope high protein, low carb diets do not have similar long-term affects.

Agree - but the biggest difference between all other diets and KETO is the energy source. KETO will move your body into using fat and body fat for energy - all other low fat diets, even if they are low carb, still rely on glucose for energy. And once the body heals through long term KETO, you can increase carbs without triggering negative insulin release. There is a difference. And losing weight is not always the best indicator for health. The final thing, on KETO, you loose your cravings - I have tried every other eating plan, even body building diets for years, and they all left me with cravings and hunger - with KETO you don't get those cravings. But it is not for everyone. I had a terrible sweet tooth, I loved my ice cream and bread - I have not had any for over a year and have absolutely no craving for it. Folks may be surprised at how good the food is once you learn some of the recipes out there - I am a simple kind of guy, and single, so mine is pretty boring and routine. But I have some lady friends that can cook some fantastic keto meals.

If weight loss is only goal I agree - plenty of ways to skin that cat..... especially if you have strong will power. But if healing some organs, disease and chronic inflammation is your goal (along with weight loss) check out the KETO diet. It is helping destroy tumor and all kinds of cancer and has been used for years to stop seizures. My lab work has never been better.

That's what I was thinking. Where do you try to keep your carbs? I see some folks say under 50, some under 25, and some say its unique to each person.
The only carbs I get are in nuts, cheese, and my veggies (kale, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, etc...) Total carbs probably under 50 - net carbs under 20

Back