• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kifaru Stryker on ALICE Frame

djlr55

SH Member
I had been eyeing the Kifaru Stryker for a while and since it is typically sold bag only and off a frame, I never pulled the trigger. I did a TON of googling and could never find anyone who has done this so I hope this helps someone out there.

Recently, I came across one on the classifieds and decided to see if I could adapt it an old ALICE pack frame.

Kifaru packs will accommodate a frame width of approximately 10 1/2 inches. The ALICE pack (and most other tubular pack frames) are 12”.

The goal would be to reduce the top side of frame to accommodate the frame sleeve and extend the frame to accommodate the length of the pack.

For this project I used:

One sheet of .080” Kydex
1/8” rivets
Drill, Dremel and files to create elongated holes to allow the shoulder straps to utilize the stock pack routing and mounting
Heat gun to flatten and increase the surface area where the kydex meets the frame around the rivets and to contour the top side of the extension so it does not rub the users neck when wearing the pack

Anyway, took about an hour or so and wound up with a final product that I am satisfied with.

Total cost for materials was $5 since I had everything but the riveter, but would cost around $100 (frame, straps, waist belt, kydex, rivets) compared to the Kifaru frame which is substantially more expensive. I have no comparison vs the Kifaru frame, but interested to see.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• D24674B9-0384-44CB-9320-FE44425AA666.jpeg
    D24674B9-0384-44CB-9320-FE44425AA666.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 124
  • 2CC94F34-7C69-4C07-BC18-24BC75EC6950.jpeg
    2CC94F34-7C69-4C07-BC18-24BC75EC6950.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 119
  • B6B7007A-6B26-4096-870F-57AEFA54BD57.jpeg
    B6B7007A-6B26-4096-870F-57AEFA54BD57.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 118
  • 28042A36-3B8D-46BF-8026-F74FCC6410F1.jpeg
    28042A36-3B8D-46BF-8026-F74FCC6410F1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 115
I had been eyeing the Kifaru Stryker for a while and since it is typically sold bag only and off a frame, I never pulled the trigger. I did a TON of googling and could never find anyone who has done this so I hope this helps someone out there.

Recently, I came across one on the classifieds and decided to see if I could adapt it an old ALICE pack frame.

Kifaru packs will accommodate a frame width of approximately 10 1/2 inches. The ALICE pack (and most other tubular pack frames) are 12”.

The goal would be to reduce the top side of frame to accommodate the frame sleeve and extend the frame to accommodate the length of the pack.

For this project I used:

One sheet of .080” Kydex
1/8” rivets
Drill, Dremel and files to create elongated holes to allow the shoulder straps to utilize the stock pack routing and mounting
Heat gun to flatten and increase the surface area where the kydex meets the frame around the rivets and to contour the top side of the extension so it does not rub the users neck when wearing the pack

Anyway, took about an hour or so and wound up with a final product that I am satisfied with.

Total cost for materials was $5 since I had everything but the riveter, but would cost around $100 (frame, straps, waist belt, kydex, rivets) compared to the Kifaru frame which is substantially more expensive. I have no comparison vs the Kifaru frame, but interested to see.

Here are some pics:
I'm attempting to copy you. How did it turn out comfort wise? Can you tell me the dimesion of the kydex sheet you use? Did you add any padding to the neck area? Have you pack out any animal with it?

Last edited:
I'm attempting to copy you. How did it turn out comfort wise? Can you tell me the dimesion of the kydex sheet you use? Did you add any padding to the neck area? Have you pack out any animal with it?

Comfort was good. No issues on that front.

I have since purchased a Kifaru frame, which is worth it.

With that being said, above 25 lbs the bag would slip off of the frame. The .080 kydex would flex and too much. I would use .125 if done again. That should flex less and provide a more ridgid insert for the top of the bag.

I really want to like this and admire the work and dedication, but having carried an Alice frame around for a few years (in the woods, not military) I will never carry one again. They are short, wide, and heavy. Combine that with the issue you're having with carrying a load and I'm left looking forward to your next version/wondering if you'll try a different frame next. IMHO the frames of these bags are where the investment should be made, the pack is just a sack to hold your stuff to the frame (my severely reduced/boiled down opinion that in reality is more nuanced).

But, all that said, I do like a good DIY so good in you for doing it and posting the photos for us to chime in on!

Comfort was good. No issues on that front.

I have since purchased a Kifaru frame, which is worth it.

With that being said, above 25 lbs the bag would slip off of the frame. The .080 kydex would flex and too much. I would use .125 if done again. That should flex less and provide a more ridgid insert for the top of the bag.

So how is the rivet holding up between the kydex and the aluminum? I honestly never considered rivets or kydex but it seem like its a good option for a lot of projects . Have you ever try riveting fabric to metal before?

So how is the rivet holding up between the kydex and the aluminum? I honestly never considered rivets or kydex but it seem like its a good option for a lot of projects . Have you ever try riveting fabric to metal before?

Rivets held up just fine. I wound up taking the sheet off when I purchased a Kifaru frame. I have no doubt it would have continued to hold beyond the two-ish months of use.

When it comes to riveting fabric, because you are compromising the integrity of the thread, without reinforcing the fabric surrounding the rivet and/or creating a larger surface area for the rivet to disperse the pressure across, I believe it would not hold the fabric well under load. However, if you did some sort of grommet and tarp fastener style fabrication, that could work but probably wouldn't bear the load well as the fabric holding the grommet would be most likely be the limiting component.

Back