• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Klemz style question

md5252

Hello all and Happy Father’s Day to all the dads.

I’m currently using a Klemz style platform and use a LW versa strap with buckle to attach it to the tree and cam it over. Recently, I’ve been thinking of switching to an Amsteel whoopie sling in either 7/64 or 1/8.

any thoughts/advice on the strap vs sling/rope and what size rope is best?
Thanks!

I haven't used a whoopie sling on a platform, but you'll want bigger rope I believe. 1/8" might work but those platforms generate a lot of force during the cam over process. I use similar DIY platforms but not Klemz style (@SloMo scooter style). For mine I use a cam buckle on strap and find it is the easiest way to get those setup properly.

This is what I do with amsteel.

What is the reason for switching to amsteel? IMO, I feel the cam buckle straps are the easiest to put on and off and it probably isn't a huge weight savings since it is just 1 strap on the platform.

What is the reason for switching to amsteel? IMO, I feel the cam buckle straps are the easiest to put on and off and it probably isn't a huge weight savings since it is just 1 strap on the platform.

I use cam straps sometimes but I like the amsteel for platform climbing,

I tried a whoopie sling on a OOAL Solo Scout and it cams over really well. I'd assume it would work the same or similar on a Klemz. 3/16" Amsteel. 20200626_214938.jpg20200626_215010.jpg20200626_214652.jpg

Last edited:
Back