• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bertfogle

Hey so I am planning on hunting public land for the first time I’ve always hunted my own land but for this season I am making changes which is one of the top reasons I have switched to hunting out of a saddle for the packing and comfort! Anyone on here ever hunted Taylorsville Ky WMA any tips on public land hunting? Any tips on saddle hunting I am waiting on my Tethrd mantis set up and I will be using climbing sticks! Any tips and tricks on saddle hunting and public land hunting please I am all ears! Thanks guys!

Hello from central Kentucky (Georgetown) never hunted that WMA so cant help you there but if you need help with saddle setup and climbing methods let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello from central Kentucky (Georgetown) never hunted that WMA so cant help you there but if you need help with saddle setup and climbing methods let me know.

Awesome thanks! I am looking at using the one stick climbing method with the predator platform pretty excited about getting out and practicing in it before sept! Any suggestions or thoughts on using an aider?

I’m not much on aiders but I did try the versa aider with 3 sticks and really liked that.
I have a two step aider coming for my one stick method I’ll know more on that in the coming days. A lot of guys seem to like it.

Welcome! I’ve hunted T-Ville a lot when I was finishing up dental school in Louisville. I still have plans to hunt it so I can’t give away any specific spots but there are definitely big deer out there. I would regularly see and pass 120” deer. So you’re homework and get away from the crowds is the best advice I can give you. It really gets hammered.

there was another guy on here who hunts there but I forget who he is

Welcome from Michigan! I think that's two new members from KY today so far.

I've hunted Taylorsville a few times several years ago. Still have some family and friends who hunt it somewhat regularly with moderate success. It seems to get a decent amount of pressure but you should have plenty of opportunities for does as well. I'm new to saddle hunting this year as well and my plan is to take a few does to get a little experience under my belt this year and build off that.

The climbing method has a lot to do with saddle hunting, but it seems like you have that figured. Obviously you want to set up with the highest %of deer movement to your strong side. Practice the platform ballet as much as possible. Shots come from everywhere so you'll need to know how to cover your area and still stay in some type of decent shooting form. It's way easier to get twisted up in a saddle because it's so safe you never really have to worry about balance and position like in a stand. If you can hunt public land during the week when most are working that'll give you some space. Being mobile will be your biggest asset. You don't always need to go deeper to find the best spots. I've found that over the years my sets have actually moved closer to the edges of WMA while John Q public all move to the interior. It really is uncanny how deer seem to be nonexistent to some but I'm always trying to figure out how I'm going to get stuff out without leaving any sign of a kill. Find a spot to hunt that's as convenient as possible because your going to be there often for scouting, and get to know it and deer patterns better than anyone else. I use other hunters patterns,( where they park, the trails they use to get in, and where they set up) to help determine where to set and when to hunt. Most casual deer hunters want to chat about there experience in the woods so I always stop by the "parking lot" to see how everyone's morning went, they give me general hunting locations and that's all I need to figure out where to set up for an evening sit. I hunt one of the busiest WMAs in my area and seem to run into shooters more often than not. Find thick escape routes, and hunt thicker cover. The view isn't always expansive, and I probably have fewer sightings than most, but the probability of deer using the trails in thick cover are higher if they have pressure. Getting them in the thick also makes for some close encounters, but it can be frustrating if your a little off the mark in your setup. Good luck with your practice and scouting.

Last edited:
Welcome from Boyd Co Ky! I hunt my private land in Ky and 600.00 acre private land in Wv. Only state land I have hunted was in Florida for most of my life deer and hogs.

I hunted Taylorsville this spring for turkey lots of deer sign around. Just need to get off the beaten path. This is my first year in the saddle as well!

Thanks everyone! I’m scouting have some cameras out on my private land and hoping to get into the WMA here in the next weekend or two and start doing some digging around for some good possibilities! Good luck to everyone this year!

Thanks everyone! I’m scouting have some cameras out on my private land and hoping to get into the WMA here in the next weekend or two and start doing some digging around for some good possibilities! Good luck to everyone this year!
My Ky picture's Screenshot_20200722-114606_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200722-115235_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Nice I have had some does and and a couple of fawns no bucks yet that I could tell!

Best way to find out info on a piece of land is get boots on the ground. Find sign whether it be from deer or people. Avoid the people sign and follow the deer. The further away from the parking lot usually the better. As soon as you saddle gets in start hanging at ground level to get in saddle shape. On top of that get used to your climbing method. Don't want to be trying to learn you gear the day season opens up

Welcome to the cul..... I mean club.

No tips for hunting Kentucky but I hear the jelly up there is awesome

Best way to find out info on a piece of land is get boots on the ground. Find sign whether it be from deer or people. Avoid the people sign and follow the deer. The further away from the parking lot usually the better. As soon as you saddle gets in start hanging at ground level to get in saddle shape. On top of that get used to your climbing method. Don't want to be trying to learn you gear the day season opens up
Yes definitely gonna get out there maybe this weekend and get some hiking in and drop some points in areas that look good! Well I am hoping that my saddle gets here sooner than they was shipping hoping to get in at least two weeks at the minimum shooting and moving in it!

Back