• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lap Bar or Bridge Spanner?

Empostarr

Obviously one of the issues with using a soft saddle is the dreaded hip pinch. Options like the JX3 negate this by keeping the pressure off of your hips using a something solid like the seat of the JX3. Has anyone ever used something with a soft saddle to try and decrease the angle that the pressure is applied to the hips, outside of an adjustable bridge?

I was thinking something like a short wooden/aluminum rod that either inserts into the bridge to keep it spread or goes across your lap from bridge loop to bridge loop, keeping the seat more "open" and relieving some of the hip pinch experiences.

The red bars represent both ideas and would not used together, the blue line represents the redirected bridge using the top bar. It could either be keeping the bridge spread (top bar), like on a hammock, or could be at the waist (bottom) keeping the saddle more open and negating some of the hip pinch. Obviously the length would have to be right

1661881179684.png

This was tried by someone on here a couple years back. I don’t really know why it didn’t work but I think it was just too bulky. Good luck on your endeavors with it

This was tried by someone on here a couple years back. I don’t really know why it didn’t work but I think it was just too bulky. Good luck on your endeavors with it
I didn't find anything, and knowing this group I find it hard to imagine someone else didn't already try it. Figured I'd see who already experimented with it

I didn't find anything, and knowing this group I find it hard to imagine someone else didn't already try it. Figured I'd see who already experimented with it

It's here. There's a couple threads on it. Unfortunately, no one really uses words that are easy to search in their thread titles or descriptions.

This was a frequent topic back in the good old days before there were approx 374 companies making the same saddles basically. Personally never had a problem with hip pinch but I'm a leaner think it's more a sitter problem.

I'm going to use the word linesman belt so u get the idea but it could be rigged up lots of ways.....once tethered in take ur linesman and girth hitch it to 1 side of ur bridge then pass the linesman around the trunk opposite side of u and clip the biner to the opposite side of the bridge..adjust linesman to were it is pulling ur bridge out away from ur hips...

You might have to archive dredge the DIY forum. IIRC someone used a 3/8" or so turnbuckle from the hardware store as an adjustable bridge spreader. Can't recall if it was used past the experimental stage.

'The Spreader Bar' would be a good name for it.

I thought of a few different ways one could be made. It shouldn't be very hard to make something up.
I'm certain it would help some guys a lot...

'The Spreader Bar' would be a good name for it.

I thought of a few different ways one could be made. It shouldn't be very hard to make something up.
I'm certain it would help some guys a lot...

I like "the meat gambrel"

Back