• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Last year sold my longbows and killed 2 deer with a compound just not the same!!!

I get that a lot, i killed my first 2 deer with a recurve, when I picked up a compound it was like having a rifle with a scope and it caused me to never want to rifle hunt bc it really felt like cheating. This past year I bought my first deer rifle and my wife got me a beautiful bear super grizzly and this season I’m hanging up the compound and using the recurve/rifle combo.

@KYhunter66
I did a similar thing by buying a crossbow, before I retired and thinking that I'm getting older and should have one....just in case. :rolleyes: I shot a doe with it and it was the most empty and unrewarding feeling that I've had while hunting deer. Unless I get injured or just can't pull a vertical bow, the crossbow will remain in storage.
This year, I've picked up an ILF recurve and an ILF longbow and intend to hunt with them, instead of my Elite Ritual compound bow. :cool: I feel like I need to make up for lost time and get some traditional kills.

Been back and forth for years. Don't own a compound right now and I'm ok with it. I also came to a realization that I shoot aluminum riser/ILF style better than wood. Not that I can't shoot them, or don't own over a half dozen.....I just came to terms with I'm most consistent with.

@KYhunter66
I did a similar thing by buying a crossbow, before I retired and thinking that I'm getting older and should have one....just in case. :rolleyes: I shot a doe with it and it was the most empty and unrewarding feeling that I've had while hunting deer. Unless I get injured or just can't pull a vertical bow, the crossbow will remain in storage.
This year, I've picked up an ILF recurve and an ILF longbow and intend to hunt with them, instead of my Elite Ritual compound bow. :cool: I feel like I need to make up for lost time and get some traditional kills.
The only reason I sold my Longbows was having problems with my neck and back but now I'm using lower poundage long bow with heavy arrows and 30% EFOC. I'm really happy with the new setup my arrows are going deep in my block target at 18y. Just some thing about traditional hunting you can't explain to someone who hasn't pulled back the string on a nice buck or even a little doe is a trophy in my book.

@KYhunter66
I'm with you, brother. I'll raise the arrow weight, before I'd raise my draw weight. :cool: Both of my trad bows are 44# and 45# draw weight. My ILF recurve is 44# with a GT 500 spine, 490 TAW, 200 gr. tip weight and 20% FOC. My ILF longbow shoots the same arrows. Both bows are shooting single bevels, very well and that's what I'll be using this year.

I intend to start out with my ILF recurve and after I kill a buck, I'll switch over to my ILF longbow and shoot a doe or two. :) However, I'm sure that the deer have different plans. ;)
45 DAS 1.jpg

Going on the same journey as you. Put all my compound bows away in storage and rotating between 3 trad bows this season. Totally expect to put 0 points on the contest this year but with trad bow hunting, its best to go into it cold turkey because the wheels will always drag you back if you give yourself that loophole.

REALLY hoping to succeed with my warf ILF longbow.

1692791522637.png

I've spent 2 years learning how to shoot instinctive and finding "my bows". Last year was mostly compound.

This is the year of "all trad". I have a Satori recurve and a Shatterproof longbow.

GA season starts in 13 days anna wakeup. The heat is just monstrous right now. I'm gonna be on the ground or one stick up in my saddle. Little old ladies gotta make some concessions...
I wish good hunting to all my Trad brothers this season! ❤️

You guys are making me feel inadequate about going back to traditional and just putting the compound aside. I hope to be there next year but so far I am definitely not firing on all cylinders figuring out this tradition stuff. I have to get to a point that I feel like I can make an ethical kill shot 10 out of 10 times before slinging an arrow at a deer. I love hearing about y'all's progress in the journey though.
@katiesmom maybe we will cross paths one day in our GA woods... happy hunting this coming season everyone.

You guys are making me feel inadequate about going back to traditional and just putting the compound aside. I hope to be there next year but so far I am definitely not firing on all cylinders figuring out this tradition stuff. I have to get to a point that I feel like I can make an ethical kill shot 10 out of 10 times before slinging an arrow at a deer. I love hearing about y'all's progress in the journey though.
@katiesmom maybe we will cross paths one day in our GA woods... happy hunting this coming season everyone.
When I was just getting into traditional archery I asked about how long before I could hunt my good friend long time bow hunter told me. If you want to hunt and could only shoot good enough at 12y then hunt at 12y I took his advice and killed a deer at 12y! I hunt out to 18y now just go for it! But know your limitations. Good hunting!!!

What @KYhunter66 said above. What is the distance that you can put 10 out If 10 in the kill zone of a deer? If it’s 6 yds, go get within 6 yds of a deer.

Back