• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lead ammo ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

gumby

Seen on u-tube where there is a plan to ban all lead use on Federal land. Looked it up and yep, looks like it may happen. That means all lead ammo banned, making bow hunting look like a champ.

Will make the cost of ammo go through the roof. Lead is cheap and easy for casting.

I don’t know much about shotgun loads, but I know bismuth and tss is more expensive.

I reload rifle and pistol just for the sake of having the capability. Got in to it only a few years ago. Looks like I need to stock up on projectiles, I guess.

Semper Fi,
Mike

This wouldn't just effect big game hunting but would affect all forms of recreation to include small game hunting, target shooting, fishing and similar activities.

First they came for gun hunters but I did nothing as I was an archer
Then they came for target shooters but I did nothing as I was an archer
Then they came for fisherman but I did nothing as I was an archer
Then they came for archers but no one did anything because no one was left

This wouldn't just effect big game hunting but would affect all forms of recreation to include small game hunting, target shooting, fishing and similar activities.

First they came for gun hunters but I did nothing as I was an archer
Then they came for target shooters but I did nothing as I was an archer
Then they came for fisherman but I did nothing as I was an archer
Then they came for archers but no one did anything because no one was left
Just like the Martin Niemöller poem. That is how totalitarianism works.

Links? Or is this justbthe ban on usf&w land such as rest areas for water fowl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its already a thing on USFWS lands and the transition is 2026 when it is full effect. Going to make some of the Primitive muzzle loader hunts a bit more difficult. B716F4B2-A4E6-4836-A63F-87750C1D7E7D.jpeg

Seen on u-tube where there is a plan to ban all lead use on Federal land. Looked it up and yep, looks like it may happen. That means all lead ammo banned, making bow hunting look like a champ.

This was discussed on MeatEater a few weeks ago. Interesting topic. I was living in CA when the lead ban was introduced there due to the Condors.

Cliff notes:

you will kill a raptor or two with lead ammo, you’re either ok with the “bycatch” or not.

Modern copper ammo performs better than the original offerings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sidenote a property adjacent to where I hunt was a National Guard practice range for 20ish years… the more I think about this, I’m starting down the rabbit hole of how to have a deer lead tested (blood?) this year. If I find out these deer have high lead levels, that’ll be a real bummer.

Yeah, tungsten weights are nice. Crazy how small a quarter ounce tungsten bullet weight is.

And it doesn't make you more retardeder. ;)
thoriated tungsten emit radioactive particles during certain welding/cutting processes....probably doesn't relate to bullets/pellets but it is dangerous for metal mafia members

thoriated tungsten emit radioactive particles during certain welding/cutting processes....probably doesn't relate to bullets/pellets but it is dangerous for metal mafia members
Sounds like a personal problem. ;)

For real though, I get that pretty much everything can kill you. The phone I'm typing on right now is probably irradiating the future generations as it rests on my lap. But less lead in duck feeding areas sounds good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back