• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lets talk about sweat

Stags

What do you all do to keep chilled sweat from cutting short your all day sits? Even packing in my outer layers and wearing top quality baselayer, Michigan has a way of freezing the small amount of sweat in my layers and chilling me to the bone.

Who changes their baselayer? How about electric heated stuff? Other tricks?

Merino wool. I've been wearing firstlite last 2 seasons, layering, and I hike deep into public. Game changer, I used to hike in in a sweatsuit and change down to naked on bad days. No longer an issue.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

You aren't wearing any cotton, are you?
From time to time, I hear about someone who dresses in high dollar synthetics but then they wear cotton against their skin. Cotton is horrible against the skin in cold weather.

One thing I've noticed about synthetics is they aren't all created equal when it comes to how they feel when they are damp. I noticed that when I launder them. When I pull it out of the washer, some stuff feels cool and damp in my hands and other stuff already feels so dry that it seems like it never got wet in the washer.
I'm not sure if its the actual material or the knit, but some stuff feels dry coming out of the washing machine. I think that type of stuff makes the better layer against the skin.

Quit fighting the sweat and let it evaporate like it's supposed to. Any sweat you give off is absorbed by your base layers and is held against your body causing you to chill. Fishnets keep your base layers off of your body and allow your sweat to evaporate like nature intended it to. They also add an additional air space (insulation). I wear the fishnet tops every time I head out whether it's 80 degrees or -10 degrees.
Wiggy's (Jerry Wigutow) isn't trendy, he's not an avid hunter and he doesn't make hunting videos. All he does is make the warmest clothing on the planet. The base layers everyone else mentioned are top quality stuff but the fishnets allow the other base layers work like they are supposed to.

Quit fighting the sweat and let it evaporate like it's supposed to. Any sweat you give off is absorbed by your base layers and is held against your body causing you to chill. Fishnets keep your base layers off of your body and allow your sweat to evaporate like nature intended it to. They also add an additional air space (insulation). I wear the fishnet tops every time I head out whether it's 80 degrees or -10 degrees.
Wiggy's (Jerry Wigutow) isn't trendy, he's not an avid hunter and he doesn't make hunting videos. All he does is make the warmest clothing on the planet. The base layers everyone else mentioned are top quality stuff but the fishnets allow the other base layers work like they are supposed to.

I knew you’d be along shortly and you didn’t let me down.

I have my eyes on the fishnet tops and bottoms and the liner jacket. Going to get them before it gets cold.

That lamilite is great stuff!

Crap. Another $50 is about to sprout wings.

Agreed on merino wool , I hike in in a single layer on top & wear light pants or even shorts In Early season. As for late season I have a pnuma heated vest & it’s one of the top pieces of clothing I own for tools in the kit! I don’t leave it on long, that & coffee are things I look forward to on a long sit.

I run a full set of FirstLite's furnace series base layer. No complaints at all. I use to have the same issues and found that it's not just about how you layer, it's what you layer with. Some times less layers done the right way is warmer than 6 different heavy bulky layers.

I haven't tried merino wool consistently, but will be giving that a go this season.
The poly bases I have tried, even the ones coming out of the washer really dry, seem to to do a fine job until I twist, or push up against a tree etc.

A thought occurred to me when checking out the Fishnet Long underwear with its 'dead space' to allow sweat to evaporate. I have a natural 'loft layer' of hair that may not be allowing the natural wicking of my baselayers from doing their thing. On the other hand I would expect the hair to act similar to the Wiggy's, but seems anywhere I press up against something or the poly layer touches me, I freeze.

I just threw my hands up last year and started figuring out a diy field-removable baselayer that I wear to intentionally take off when I get on stand without having to strip down. I might combine the ideas, and make one out of merino wool.

On my most brutal hikes in the mountains definitely change my top baselayer. I'll hike in a first lite or just an underarmour poly shirt, then change into dry merino when I get to my tree. There's no way for me to do an hour hike with 1,000 feet+ elevation change and not get soaked. Lesser hunts I just be sure I'm going slow and take some time to cool down at my tree before I add midlayers and coat.

If you decide to order the fishnets from Wiggy, you may want to call him and ask him about sizing. I ordered what I thought would fit me but it was too small. The stuff runs small. I called Jerry and he got me in the correct size ( fat man's...:rolleyes:).

Slow down.

slow down on your hike in. Stop short of your hunting area by a couple hundred yards and cool down. Slow down on your climb.

I’m one of the sweaty hairy people. If it’s above 60* you’re going to sweat no matter what, but who cares you won’t freeze. Below that, I can walk any distance in any terrain, and be dry enough when I get in a tree to be comfortable. I do that by going slow enough to either not sweat, or to give sweat time to dry before I put all my clothes on. Wool works great for this. Some synthetics do too. Mostly, going slow enough to not be soaked. And not climbing so fast that I sweat more.

This thread comes up dozens of times each year. Keep your heart rate down below the level where you start to sweat profusely. If you can’t due to terrain, wear almost nothing going out, and change short of your set. But for almost all of us, in almost all situations, keep your heart rate down and pack your clothes in.

If it’s cold out and I’ve got a long walk I often just hike in my compression shorts/boxers and no shirt.

I’m a hot natured guy and sweat easy. Some squirrels may give you some funny looks but it works to keep you cool. I’m often just getting warm when I get to the tree, put on base-layers and climb, then finish getting dressed in the tree.

You aren't wearing any cotton, are you?
From time to time, I hear about someone who dresses in high dollar synthetics but then they wear cotton against their skin. Cotton is horrible against the skin in cold weather.

One thing I've noticed about synthetics is they aren't all created equal when it comes to how they feel when they are damp. I noticed that when I launder them. When I pull it out of the washer, some stuff feels cool and damp in my hands and other stuff already feels so dry that it seems like it never got wet in the washer.
I'm not sure if its the actual material or the knit, but some stuff feels dry coming out of the washing machine. I think that type of stuff makes the better layer against the skin.
Synthetics vary in the amount of moisture they can absorb.

Polyester is hydrophobic. It cannot absorb water into the fibers. 0. None. Nadda. It can trap a little in between the weave, but that's it. Poly can absorb oils, which is why synthetics have a rep for getting funky.

Nylon absorbs a fair amount of water. Not nearly as much as cotton or wool, but it is not hydrophobic. Nylon garments will feel more wet and tske longer to dry than poly.

Spandex or lycra garments (stretchy stuff) absorbs the most amount of moisture if I understand correctly.

Weave has something to do with it as well. I like a garment I can see through when held to light. Loosely woven is better than tight.

I try to buy 100% polyester for my early season and summer scouting garments. This summer I've also been wearing thin, 100% poly socks under light weight wool socks, and my feet have never felt better in rubber boots. If you want moisture to travel off your skin and to your outer layers, I'd advise loosely woven poly undergarments and then wool on top. Wool will suck the moisture through the poly layer, and hold it without losing insulation value.

If it’s cold out and I’ve got a long walk I often just hike in my compression shorts/boxers and no shirt.

I’m a hot natured guy and sweat easy. Some squirrels may give you some funny looks but it works to keep you cool. I’m often just getting warm when I get to the tree, put on base-layers and climb, then finish getting dressed in the tree.
Always knew he wasn't a squatter... just got the rest of his First Lite merino in that Power Rangers backpack.
2020-07-29 10.13.01.png

Back