• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lightest rope using the ropeman 1?????

Eckert_Hunter18

I'm wanting to change my tether and lineman belt to a lighter rope. I use the ropeman1 with my setup now and would like to continue doing so. I've seen where the oplux rope is great when it comes to light weight and strength but I would have to change to a Kong and I'm not really wanting to. What would be the lightest rope I can use with the ropeman1 and be strong enough for my tether and lineman? Only if the oplux would work with the ropeman I would jump all over it. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. No matter what I want to continue with the ropeman.

I'm using a Ropeman 2 right now with my Oplux- I hated it. I will be switching to a Ropeman 1 with my Oplux, Out of spec but some guys are using it and it works...user beware.
I say I'm switching until I get in a tree and get all jittery staring at it....lol

the little book that came with your ropeman will tell you what rope sizes are within specs of the device, or there is always the manufacturer website.

It says right on the Ropeman 1. Or at least mine does as I was reading it last night while hunting. I believe it says 10-13mm but you should confirm.

I hung out Sunday night (last day of hunting in Illinois) with my Oplux climbing rope and used RP1 to connect to my bridge. Worked fine. But I can see how it could break/tear the rope in a fall. If you run it with no slack maybe it's Okay. If you have slack rope at any time it looks like potential trouble. Either way it is out of spec and all responsibility is on the user!

The rope diameter wasnt the issue, I understand that you really shouldnt go below 10mm with the ropeman1 but I want to know what would be the lightest 10 mm rope I could use that would be strong enough to support me and work fairly well on the ropeman. I'm also wanting to use the mini pearabeaner or the vapor lock screwgate carabiner. Both are very strong and light weight, personally was leaning more toward the vapor lock one coming in at 1.8 oz was really the lightest method without losing strength and still fits in the ropeman 1 well. I really like the oplux rope just dont want to risk it with a ropeman and dont want to change the ropeman to a kong. Thanks everyone for the input so far though, I'm sure someone will know of a great lightweight 10mm rope.

ah, if that is what you are looking for i recommend these ropes

both are good ropes

ah, if that is what you are looking for i recommend these ropes

both are good ropes
Does the 9mm static rope work good with ropeman 1

Does the ropeman bite down on the oplux good, no slippage of any kind?
No slippage in a static situation. Make sure the biner takes up enough room in the eye. As always you determine your level of risk. Test at ground level.
Also, I highly discourage using oplux and RM1 with a slack line. Just my 2 cents worth.

So, how does a R1 "know" the diameter of the rope? The rope gets pinched in between the cam and the carabiner, that's how it works. So if you use a carabiner that's "X"mm fatter, then doesn't the extra carabiner width essentially translate to a fatter rope?
I just measured 2 different carabiners that I've used on my R1. One measures .385" and the other measures .470".
Excuse my weak math skills but doesnt that equal over 2 mm difference? Wouldnt the .470 carabiner make the R1 "think" the rope was 2mm fatter?

The way it looked on mine is that the rope could get wedged in the side of the rope man instead of staying centered because of the small diameter rope. In other words it doesn't seem to always grip the rope the way it is designed for.

Back