• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Linemans belt keeps you from falling?

kenn1320

I asked the other day and just did a search. He has a long belt, hits the ground.

I can't ever think of a time when I would ever be inverted while climbing, well, I do use a 3 step aider with Stepps and have had a couple 'interesting' kick outs if I don't square my boot toe to the tree I am climbing.

In all seriousness, I use an 9mm rope as a linemans belt and always keep it tight to the tree. I am afra...I have a serious respect of heights and do not intend to lawn dart.

There's better belts for line workers because a belt doesn't guarantee you won't hit the ground. It uses your weight to synch around the pole 360 degrees. Flinging posted a few years ago a method called flinging-X. Might come up in a search here. Anyway you run the rope from say left hip between you and the tree, around the back side, between you and the tree and clip in on your right side. This forms an X between you and the tree. Basically if you fall your weight tries to close the loop. Seems good in theory.

Then what is a linesman for? Also what could’ve been done to prevent this? I watched a few videos of linesman falling on YouTube and they just go down fast. Just a newbie hearing your above quote too often on this site and want to know how to stay safe before embarking on my saddle hunting excursions. Thank you
A lineman's belt is not a fall prevention measure.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Then what is a linesman for? Also what could’ve been done to prevent this? I watched a few videos of linesman falling on YouTube and they just go down fast. Just a newbie hearing your above quote too often on this site and want to know how to stay safe before embarking on my saddle hunting excursions. Thank you
A linemans belt is a positioning aid, and allows for hands free work. You can and will fall hard and fast.

So then suffice to say you should wear your tether going up in addition to the linesman? Something the gentleman you n this video above clearly did not do. Additionally, I haven’t seen anyone demonstrating a saddle climb on YT that has done that. Probably just haven’t clicked on the right video i suppose.
A linemans belt is a positioning aid, and allows for hands free work. You can and will fall hard and fast.

Tether off or have a safety rope you are attached to for the entire ascent. That's the safest.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

one of this guys problems is that the lineman belt is below his waistline instead of angled downward towards the body. another one is that he leaned forward and away from the pole, loosening the belt even more and creating an "ass over tea kettle" effect

Quote of the post so far - "ass over tea kettle effect".

I used to watch the lumberjack competitions years ago and marveled at the intensity of those folks who climbed the logs with spurs and basically fell down to Earth in a very uncontrolled manner.

Come to think of it, and particularly because it is still saddle'n season here in Florida for quite some time, I am going to try to forget ever watching those competitions.

So then suffice to say you should wear your tether going up in addition to the linesman? Something the gentleman you n this video above clearly did not do. Additionally, I haven’t seen anyone demonstrating a saddle climb on YT that has done that. Probably just haven’t clicked on the right video i suppose.
You haven't seen this video, enjoy...
Redbeard climbing

That's why linemen don't use those straps anymore. We use a bucksqueeze or similar fall restriction device. The linemens belt type "can" actually prevent you from falling if you can keep from panicking when you fall, and push your upper body away from the tree. This will put tension on the belt and swing your crotch into the tree. It goes against your natural instinct to try to hug the tree so can take some... practice. I was a tree trimmer for several years when i was younger and had those type straps catch me dozens of times after my gaffs kicked out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201215-204440_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201215-204440_Chrome.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 70
That's why linemen don't use those straps anymore. We use a bucksqueeze or similar fall restriction device. The linemens belt type "can" actually prevent you from falling if you can keep from panicking when you fall, and push your upper body away from the tree. This will put tension on the belt and swing your crotch into the tree. It goes against your natural instinct to try to hug the tree so can take some... practice. I was a tree trimmer for several years when i was younger and had those type straps catch me dozens of times after my gaffs kicked out.
There's a long thread on here right now talking about diy tree squeeze.

I can only think of the slivers the poor lineman received in addition to other possible injuries he might of received. In our case we don't have to worry about slivers in a fall. We just have to worry about razor sharp tree steps to shred us on the way down to the sudden stop at the end.:rolleyes:

A lot of people wear both tether and lineman's lanyard. It is a little slower but it is safer. Just use your lineman's correctly and keep the tether above you with minimal slack.

Someone better jump on the squeeze train! Post a link to the thread it’s being talked about in, if you can!

Back