• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Live from the ground 22/23

MattMan81

SH Member
In the spirit of everyone quiting saddle hunting and staying on the ground to be safe. Here is the official ground hunting thread for 22/23 season.
My son and I got the cross bow out up on the ridge. Visibility is pretty limited. But I know they like to come out here in the evening to feed. Screenshot_20221003-171231-976.png

Seems like, if you hunt in an area where the deer population is high, then ground hunting would be the best choice, Hunting where it's fewer and more spooky deer I'm not sure. I'm talking about bow hunting only, gun hunting is a no brainer, ground only.

Seems like, if you hunt in an area where the deer population is high, then ground hunting would be the best choice, Hunting where it's fewer and more spooky deer I'm not sure.
ITs a big advantage to rifle hunt from the ground in low density areas, you can cover A LOT of terrain in 8 hours of hunting which really increases your odds.

So quick story to last night. Heard some deer go threw the creek on our back side. Never saw them. Last 45 minutes my son is out of patience. Wants to move, we saw more deer last time. So we packaged up right at sunset with half hour of shooting light. Made lots of noise. Told him we would walk slowly walk up over the ridge and maybe see a deer on the other side. Well, we did. Even with him dragging his boots thru the grass, me telling him to get back and not to far ahead. I peek over the top and see a body. We drop down. I range it about 30yards. So we packed up about 60-70yards from them. Made all kinds of nosie walking over. She was facing towards us. We tried to get a little close to where I could set the crossbow up so he could see and shoot over the short grass. Well, she picks her head up, sees us, and bolts. So story is yes. If he was older and we could have crawled, we could have got a shot. But no way he could have positioned the crossbow to make that shot with out me helping to hold it. If we were in the tree we would have seen them. So there was an opportunity there to be had.

Back