• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Locked brummel on both sides of bridge?

The only way so far to direct attach an amsteel bridge is locked on one side and stitched on the other. This method looked promising at first glance, but you would have to somehow pull the entire saddle through to make it work. I think I read something last year where someone tried, but came up empty.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You can brummel splice around bridge loop of your saddle but I think to get around the second loop you are going to have to just do a spliced loop and a lock stitch. I don't see how to form the brummel around the second bridge loop, it needs to pass through itself somehow.

I watched one like this before and the lightbulb went bright in my head for a bit. I went downstairs to do a practice run with paracord before I realized it was a puzzle I couldn't solve.

You obviously triggered a brain cell on a slow night for me, but you could do a whoopie to attach the second side, but instead of worrying about making it adjustable and long like most, make it so that the stopper end stops it exactly at the fixed length you want and would not have the extra rope hanging out. A long road to travel to avoid the stitches and the bridge would not be as smooth, but seems doable.

There is a benefit to this for someone who doesn't mind having a caribiner on their bridge. You can do a locked brummel directly to the bridge loops on one side and then do a locked brummel on the other side to run a caribiner through.

You can do two locked loops on the rope itself - however, when you secure the loops to a saddle you will only be able to do one. That is why mantis manufactures the saddle around the double loop bridge instead of adding the bridge after the fact.

It’s not possible. Even though people on one of the mantis posts think it is.

You can do two locked loops on the rope itself - however, when you secure the loops to a saddle you will only be able to do one. That is why mantis manufactures the saddle around the double loop bridge instead of adding the bridge after the fact.

Just to clarify, You can do one locked brummel directly to the saddle and then do a second locked brummel with the tag end but, it will have to be connected to the saddle with a carabiner. There was a member who asked this question a while ago and there was some confusion in the responses. You can do two locked brummels but, only one of them can be connected directly to the saddle.

Just to clarify, You can do one locked brummel directly to the saddle and then do a second locked brummel with the tag end but, it will have to be connected to the saddle with a carabiner. There was a member who asked this question a while ago and there was some confusion in the responses. You can do two locked brummels but, only one of them can be connected directly to the saddle.

Correct

I tried, I failed to girth hitch both ends using a dogbone. In my head it works. When I tested it, the part I neglected to include in my head when I did it, is that the length of line girth hitched on one side transitions the loop around and prevents it from completing the loop. I made a video intending to prove it can be done only to prove I couldn't. Never posted it. May post it anyway because I ain't afraid of failure, and to see if I can figure out how to get a video on youtube :)

Petzl makes a ring open. It only weighs 2.5 oz and can be taped up once connected and is rated for 23kn. It would allow attaching the second side or both sides. I believe I first saw them on @Erniepower saddle before tethrd was started.

Stitching is so simple. I don't understand why guys resist it so much. Just make sure you stitch with a contrasting colored thread so you can see it in case you ever want to undo it.

No resistance here - This is exactly what I plan on doing when I need to replace the bridge on my mantis saddles.

You can make a whoopie sling bridge and not have to use a carabiner. That is what I like... Adjustable and no metal.

That's one trick. I know exactly how long I want a bridge and that just never changes for me so the locked loop and the stitched loop works best - I do not generally like carbineers or big knots at my hip loops.

You can make a whoopie sling bridge and not have to use a carabiner. That is what I like... Adjustable and no metal.
If I were to build an amsteel bridge it would probably be in a whoopie fashion. Could you take the bury all the way back to the end of the bury on the locked Brummel? That would get rid of that little skinny section in the middle of the bridge and lengthen the radius of the tight bend going over the carabiner just a tad.

If I were to build an amsteel bridge it would probably be in a whoopie fashion. Could you take the bury all the way back to the end of the bury on the locked Brummel? That would get rid of that little skinny section in the middle of the bridge and lengthen the radius of the tight bend going over the carabiner just a tad.

That is what I do. The only down side to a whoopie is the tag end can be annoying. But I really do like an adjustable bridge.

Back