• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Looking for canoe insight

cwalker5585

Wondering if y’all could point me in the right direction for a hunting canoe, primarily for public land deer hunting, needs to hold 2 guys and gear but also able to paddle solo. What lengths, makes, materials would you guys suggestion and not suggested for that matter? Looking for a used one probably of FB marketplace or Craigslist, ty in advance for your advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have enough experience to give an educated answer..... I got a mohawk because it is made in Florida...I think a fiberglass will be lighter than plastic but I don't know that for 100%

Looked at them, little expensive for my taste though for a hunting rig I’m going to beat up

I hear ya on that… keep a check on Facebook and other places for deals. I got mine for $500 loaded with everything. No way I could swing a new one. Mines a Frontier 10. Not quite large enough for 2 men. But they’ll last forever.

Last edited:
What kind of water will you be paddling... lakes, rocky shallow rivers, deep slow rivers?? The answer to that will start you in the right direction in regards to hull shape/design.
I would advise if you plan to paddle it solo or tandem to look for a boat that will allow a solo paddler to sit in the front seat facing the rear and paddle the boat in that direction. Seated in that respect will put you more towards the middle of the boat. Some boat design has a thwart right behind the bow seat which makes it problematic to face backward in the bow seat.

^^^^^ This right here, what kind of water you will be on is your starting point, I have a serious canoe addiction and we can definitely point you in the right direction, also how are you transporting this boat, roof top or do you want to slide it in the back of a truck and if so what length box.

Kevlar, Wenonah Canoe. Made in Winona MN, USA
I have a Kevlar Wenonah (Spirit II) and I love it but it isn't for shallow, rocky rivers. It's fairly specialized for paddling straight and on flat water.
I have a Royalex Wenonah and I would say that's a better all-around canoe. It has moderate rocker so it is maneuverable, but it's still easy to paddle straight. And I don't worry about dragging it thru shallows or onto a rocky landing. The downside is that it's about 15 pounds heavier than the kevlar boat.
The OP needs to tell us what kind of water the boat will be used on.

Depending on the hull design, a canoe can be horribly unstable or very stable. Wide and flat bottomed are a couple of features you're going to want to look for in a canoe.
There are 3 Rules to fishing in a canoe:
#1 Keep your butt on the seat at all times.
#2 Watch which way you're swinging those fish hooks.
#3 Keep your butt on the seat at all times. :rolleyes:
* Golden Hawk, out of Wisconsin has some very wide canoes that you can stand up and fish in without a worry. They offer it in a flat-backed version for a motor, is you prefer.
* Bass Pro Shops has the Ascend hybrid kayaks in 10' and 12', called H10 and H12. They look very similar to a canoe, have good weight capacity, but the seating position is lower like a kayak for improved stability.
* Price range is another issue.... Everything I found was in the $1000 and up, for a new one. I found a fair amount of used aluminum canoes, but quite often they were pretty "used". Plus, aluminum canoes are VERY noisy, compared to plastic or fiberglass.

Good luck with your choices! :cool:

Depending on the hull design, a canoe can be horribly unstable or very stable. Wide and flat bottomed are a couple of features you're going to want to look for in a canoe.
I'm going to disagree with some of that.
Yeah, wide flat bottoms feel stable initially but their final stability is not good. IMO, final stability is much more desirable than initial stability.

@Allegheny Tom if you haven’t already you really need to take a trip north sometime and check out the Adirondack Experience, the museum on Blue Mtn Lake, I take the family every year and the collection of canoes and guide boats they have may be one of the biggest in the country, they have a new exhibit on the water and you can demo almost any boat they have at the dock, last year I took a spin on a true cedar guide boat, it was amazing, they have a builder of guide boats on staff and usually he is working on a boat while we are there and will stop working and answer questions, if your into camping, boats, the outdoors it truly is a great day trip I highly recommend it, on the way back stop into Mountain Man Sports and check out the inventory, hundreds of canoes and every accessory you can imagine in stock, that place has cost me some money!
My wife and I paddled on Lake Lyla a few years ago. Love to go back there sometime.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I might be old school, but I like an aluminum canoe. They do take a beating and can be repaired. Mine was a marketplace find 4 or 5 years ago and is a 85 Indian. 18ft. I mounted a canoe dolly on the top/back for easy one man handling.
99666a5ce7fba15999ffb74d02d292ef.jpg
349f76b51303fd1599547c1095b9b542.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

There are 3 Rules to fishing in a canoe:
#1 Keep your butt on the seat at all times.
#2 Watch which way you're swinging those fish hooks.
#3 Keep your butt on the seat at all times. :rolleyes:
* Golden Hawk, out of Wisconsin has some very wide canoes that you can stand up and fish in without a worry. They offer it in a flat-backed version for a motor, is you prefer.
* Bass Pro Shops has the Ascend hybrid kayaks in 10' and 12', called H10 and H12. They look very similar to a canoe, have good weight capacity, but the seating position is lower like a kayak for improved stability.
* Price range is another issue.... Everything I found was in the $1000 and up, for a new one. I found a fair amount of used aluminum canoes, but quite often they were pretty "used". Plus, aluminum canoes are VERY noisy, compared to plastic or fiberglass.

Good luck with your choices! :cool:

I’ve sourced a golden hawk here in Mi along with a sportspal. Just not sure of the room in either for 2 guys and gear, going to take a look at both next weekend I’m hoping

I use a Field & Stream Kay-noe (rebadged Old Town Pack with a kayak seat). 12' Royalex. It's a great solo fishing boat and I've (unsuccessfully) hunted out of it. It fills up fast with camping gear, but I've done some BWCA trips in it.

Kevlar boats are a joy to paddle and carry, but they can be delicate, and expensive to purchase and repair. They're also "wet foot" canoes in that you can damage them by running them onto the beach. We-no-nahs are excellent but I give an edge to Souris River. However, unless you're planning on doing a lot of portaging, I'd skip the Kevlar.

Aluminum is durable, cheap, and easy to repair. It's also heavy, which is really only an issue if you're portaging it. It's loud, which can be detrimental for fishing and hunting. That leaves Royalex and other plastic boats.

Singlehanding anything over about 15' can be done, but I have trouble with it. If you're always going to be out with a partner, go 16'-18'. If you think you might do a lot of solo paddling, go for a 14'-15' boat.

Back