• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

LWCG Stick Aider - DIY

NW_Arkansas22

How hard would it be to make a DIY aider similar to the ones on the Lone Wolf Custom Gear mini sticks? What are your thoughts on the pros/cons?
Aider.pngAider.png

Looks like tree stand cable material bolted on the lower step

That’s pretty much exactly what it is, if
You have the tool to crimp on the steel loops to the cable and trust yourself to do it right I think they would be easy or if you found a treestand manufacture that sold those cables the right length, I’m eager to try one depending on price I’ll probably just buy one of theirs to test out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the cable you would have to use something to step on(comfort reasons) so the cable wouldn't bury into your foot!

What advantage do you see to this versus tubular webbing with a piece of weed eater cord fed through to keep it open for the foot loop?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steel cable, even coated steel cable looses the noise battle to tubular webbing. We use small cable like that at work for lock out tag out and it’s not nearly as storable/packable/ easy to make do what u want as webbing.. I don’t really see an advantage.

How hard would it be to make a DIY aider? Not very hard. Just some materials, tools, and time.

You would need to purchase some steel cable/wire rope (preferably vinyl coated), some appropriately sized ends (stamped eyes), and a swage tool. If you do not have these items already, most are available at your local hardware store.

Alternatively, you could order similar plastic-coated cables from existing tree stand manufacturers, as there are a couple out there that already sell similar, finished products:

https://www.huntriversedge.com/search?q=25852+&adv=false&cid=0&isc=false&pf=&pt=&sid=false

https://www.amazon.com/Rivers-Edge-48210-Black-Vinyl/dp/B073RSLSZ4

https://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/shop/Products/Replacement-Hang-On-Cables__LWC.aspx

As others have indicated, many aiders are constructed of tubular webbing, with either something (rope, weed-eater line, etc.) inserted into the webbing to help keep the step portion "open" or something attached to the outside to achieve the same effect (garden hose, paracord wrap, etc.).

The concept of using a plastic coated cable is interesting, as the cable may work well in keeping the "step" portion of the aider open. The thin diameter of the cable might tend to dig into the bottom of your boot when you are climbing, though. For a simple step it may work.

Wouldnt be hard at all. I've built a pretty big number of snares and all it is steel cable with crimped ends. The ones I built for gigs I used aluminum ferrules to crimp and just flattened them with a BFH. If there stout enough to hold a big pissed off hog that'd work fine as an aider, but I'd go with webbing instead. Bigger surface area, more comfort, easier to find and step into in the dark, more compact, probably could come up with many downsides to the steel cable aider.

Why use a cable instead of webbing? I'm loud AF in-a-way so I can't see myself adding any more metal to any part of my setup

I’m in the minority here, but I think the cable might end up being better than webbing for an aider. Loop will always stay open, loop will always be off the tree, won’t be affected by wind, easier to get the same height every stick if diy, and it looks like if the bolt holding it wasn’t extremely tight they would just fold up to pack. I weigh like 270 and don’t think they would cut into my foot as bad as everyone else says, but I also don’t hunt in crocs like everyone else on here.......

Interesting idea. Would love to see if someone DIYs one and what their thoughts are. I can see pros/cons to either aider method.

Personally hard to beat tubular webbing as it literally requires no special tools just a sharp cutting implement (scissors work) and ability to tie a knot.

I like the idea of them folding up and over the stick to pack. Maybe make them short enough that you can stretch/flex them over the top and have them stay in place? You wouldnt need to stand on them but for a second. And if you didn't want to use them, keep it folded?

Interesting concept anyway.

I’m in the minority here, but I think the cable might end up being better than webbing for an aider. Loop will always stay open, loop will always be off the tree, won’t be affected by wind, easier to get the same height every stick if diy, and it looks like if the bolt holding it wasn’t extremely tight they would just fold up to pack. I weigh like 270 and don’t think they would cut into my foot as bad as everyone else says, but I also don’t hunt in crocs like everyone else on here.......
i wrap the bottom of my webbing in paracord and it stays open

Hey 8
Interesting idea. Would love to see if someone DIYs one and what their thoughts are. I can see pros/cons to either aider method.

Personally hard to beat tubular webbing as it literally requires no special tools just a sharp cutting implement (scissors work) and ability to tie a knot.
i have a couple cables with the loops on them from an old hang on laying around. I think I’m going to try and do this soon.

Steel cable, even coated steel cable looses the noise battle to tubular webbing. We use small cable like that at work for lock out tag out and it’s not nearly as storable/packable/ easy to make do what u want as webbing.. I don’t really see an advantage.

The only advantage that I can see is that with the LWCG sticks you need something skinny to stay out of the way of the rubber grommets when you stack them together. Webbing would be difficult to do this with its basically impossible to keep the straps wrapped around the sticks and use the grommets a webbing aider might be the same way.

The only advantage that I can see is that with the LWCG sticks you need something skinny to stay out of the way of the rubber grommets when you stack them together. Webbing would be difficult to do this with its basically impossible to keep the straps wrapped around the sticks and use the grommets a webbing aider might be the same way.

I agree with this. When I had my lwcg mini I took my straps off every time I took them down and they lived in a pouch on my saddle made for much easier quicker pack up. I would think a carry as you go aider would be the simpler

I agree that they had to go this route to keep the stackability. As far as it cutting in to your foot, you will only be on it for like two seconds per stick per climb, so probably not a big deal. CAYG is probably a better option, but I would like to try these sticks and see for myself. I’m not as turned off by the bolts for tree standoffs as others are. The low profile stacking is very attractive.

Not seeing the benefit over 3/16 amsteel.

Not seeing the benefit over 3/16 amsteel.

Me either. But, from LWCG’s perspective, they probably don’t want to splice Amsteel on a production item like that. Easier for them to use the cables. And the cables are probably more attractive to a novice hunter who has no idea what Amsteel is. I do like the idea of built in attachment points for aiders like these and the OOAL Shikar sticks. And I’m generally a bolt and (most recently) a SRT guy.

Back