• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Making Pursik Cord - Question on Length

EJohnson

I have the 8mm Resc tec rope and looking to make a pursik out of Sterling 6mm TRC.
I don't want a long one as it will be used for my tether.
Is there a formula to know how much to order to account for the double fisherman knot to make the loop?

I don't know about a formula but I would think 4' would get it done easily. I know the tails I use on 6mm a double fisherman's takes me 18" of cord or so for a 3" tail. I think my loop is about 22"s typically. I always order hitch cord in fairly long lengths just to have it around though as I'm always tying different bends. The photo is 7mm on Predator but it shows you about how long I like mine.

84e2ef0366eef285fb70b96d21ffbddb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3’ might be a hair tight, 3.5’ about perfect with some adjustability, and 4’ a little long but will allow to tie multiple different friction hitches if you want to experiment. I measured some 6mm TRC last night at 46”. Tied with a double fisherman’s knot, it made for a reasonable length klemheist, a tolerably long prusik (similar to @BlindBuck photo), and a very long distel. I’m tying around 10mm ropes. YMMV depending on your knot selection.

rope is cheap, i always buy more than my high estimate

if you don't have enough, then the piece can't be used at all for that purpose

or, worse, it is just a tad too short but you decide to run short tag end on your knots to make it work....and that's a risk

Agree with others, longer can be trimmed down. I use a prussik for redundancy and for a brake on my ATC. I have 2 loops, but one is too long and when clipped to my LB loop to use as a brake, it’ll feed into the ATC so it won’t work……I have a little bit longer 2nd bridge JIC.
I’d tie a few and maybe not cinch the fisherman’s knots too much. Once my Beal Kevlar 5.5 is cinched tight, it’ll take a fid and a pair of pliers to get undone……at least! Remember too that you’re prussiks can be different numbers of wraps.
All that said, I’m going with a Michoacán and I just now tied one with new cord. I used a long length of TRC and am about to cut it here. My loop is big enough to make more wraps if needed and I can adjust the loop length easily with the hunters bend. My hitches stay below my devices so shorter is better for me.
90B28696-2A24-45A1-9A15-8A6B9CC48686.jpeg

I have the 8mm Resc tec rope and looking to make a pursik out of Sterling 6mm TRC.
I don't want a long one as it will be used for my tether.
Is there a formula to know how much to order to account for the double fisherman knot to make the loop?
Hey buddy. Lotta good advice here. Always cut more, tune the length with sloppy long tails, and then trim your tails as the last thing ya do. We can always cut it off and can't put it back on. And please consider some other friction hitches. Personally, i wouldn't ever use a Prusik (Pursik is a popular misspelling). For example, did ya see this? One hand operation with no metal.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hey buddy. Lotta good advice here. Always cut more, tune the length with sloppy long tails, and then trim your tails as the last thing ya do. We can always cut it off and can't put it back on. And please consider some other friction hitches. Personally, i wouldn't ever use a Prusik (Pursik is a popular misspelling). For example, did ya see this? One hand operation with no metal.

I have Sterling HTP 9MM. Would Sterling 7MM accessory cord work well with your hitch and the HTP?

I always take a carabiner tie a double fisherman's knot then do my wraps to get close to the length I like ( 5 wrap Michocan ) then tie another double fisherman's around carabiner. Then I fine tune everything after setting and dressing.

I always take a carabiner tie a double fisherman's knot then do my wraps to get close to the length I like ( 5 wrap Michocan ) then tie another double fisherman's around carabiner. Then I fine tune everything after setting and dressing.

if you are tying the rope to the carabiner, then it's a scaffold or poacher's knot depending on wraps, fishermen's join rope to rope....not to be a know it all, but it could confuse folks reading

if you are tying the rope to the carabiner, then it's a scaffold or poacher's knot depending on wraps, fishermen's join rope to rope....not to be a know it all, but it could confuse folks reading

Or a bull hitch knot I think will do the trick.
@phatkaw

Or a bull hitch knot I think will do the trick.
@phatkaw

that's if you've formed a loop with fishermen's already, i believe

i wouldn't trust a bull hitch on a carabiner that wasn't part of a loop

i'm guessing the bull hitch keeps it from sliding around

scaffold knots act like hitch cords with an eye on both ends

Makes sense to me. I’ve always used the scaffold but I’ve seen @phatkaw use the bull that’s why I tagged him in on that message.

ad41b02b1f5e9020724d50dd51bc2641.jpg

Scaffold is essential the same knot reference "The Ashley Book of Knots" pg 204. Can also see it pg 74 in " The Tree Climbers Companion".

I have Sterling HTP 9MM. Would Sterling 7MM accessory cord work well with your hitch and the HTP?
Yes 7mm would work or even a 6mm as long as it’s between 60 and 80% of the ropes diameter, is the usual recommendation for friction hitches on climbing lines

Scaffold is essential the same knot reference "The Ashley Book of Knots" pg 204. Can also see it pg 74 in " The Tree Climbers Companion".

yep, it's basically a fishermen's on a bight, i got that and why you were using the term as you did, but i clarified in case a new person starts looking up knots on google etc

Thanks it is imperative that folks tie life support knots,bends and hitches properly.

About the only thing I use the Bull hitch for is when I'm gonna put a link or carabiner on the end of a rope.
It works great for that. My first rappel rope has not budged a bit since I tied it. I've been up and down a zillion times with that rope...

Thanks it is imperative that folks tie life support knots,bends and hitches properly.

yep, before i tied my first saddle knots, i practiced with paracord for hours and tied and untied the knots using a fid and then even tried to figure
About the only thing I use the Bull hitch for is when I'm gonna put a link or carabiner on the end of a rope.
It works great for that. My first rappel rope has not budged a bit since I tied it. I've been up and down a zillion times with that rope...

i would use that if i already had a loop formed with a figure 8 or overhand and the bull hitch was just a form of girth hitch with that loop that doesn't loosen, just a little extra rope and bulk to make sure the tag end can't budge

Two separate comments:

1. @GeoFish asked if 7mm cord is good for 9mm rope and it is. Perfect match.
2. Regarding the bull hitch vs scaffold, scaffold is definitely stronger. But its awful to untie particularly on anything except carabiner. And it's one of the reasons I shared the "Buffalo Hitch " and sent it into the IGKT. I am not Saying the bull hitch is not strong enough... but this is gonna be even more secure. I plan to do some more formal testing when the load scale that I ordered finally arrived. I ordered it back in December but the supply chain is so screwed up that I'm still waiting.

Back