• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Making the switch - handheld release help

NikoTheBowHunter

Looking to switch from a wrist release to a handheld release. I ordered the “Tru-Fire Blackout Link” but am not happy with the noise / clicking sound it makes when engaging or releasing it. To those of you who hunt with a handheld release, which one you using?

Wow, seems lots of people are looking to switch, me included. I'm going to try the Carter Insatiable 2 just because I can borrow it versus buy it. I should get it tomorrow so I can let you know my initial impressions of it once I get some shots using it.

Looking to switch from a wrist release to a handheld release. I ordered the “Tru-Fire Blackout Link” but am not happy with the noise / clicking sound it makes when engaging or releasing it. To those of you who hunt with a handheld release, which one you using?
Is that a sear type release? On many of those you can disable the click so it functions like a true tension release.

Best entry level thumb release for the money might be the Hot Shot Vapor. It'll get you into the game without having to spend enough to cover a new bow...
I've been eying that one for some time. I see it doesn't have a swivel head, do you find you get torque or binding of the d loop?

I found I was more accurate with a release that has a sear in it instead of the caliper style. It's like having a trigger on a gun, you don't want it to travel before it breaks.

I have and love my Carter chocolate addiction. When I first bought it, I thought it was a lifetime of addictive chocolate. In fact, it was....so addictivie and good that I bought a second one to have as backup.

I found I was more accurate with a release that has a sear in it instead of the caliper style. It's like having a trigger on a gun, you don't want it to travel before it breaks.
Good to know. I have a Tru ball Maxx 4 that has Jaws similar to an index release but with a swivel head so the d loop doesn't rotate. I'll have to try out the hot shot

Best entry level thumb release for the money might be the Hot Shot Vapor. It'll get you into the game without having to spend enough to cover a new bow...
Think this is what I’m after. Something simple and quite. Thanks for the input.

Edit: Just placed my order for the 3 finger version of this.

Last edited:
Bought the Carter Wise Choice 3-finger little over a month ago...pricey? Yes...worth every cent? Also yes...John Dudley has a real cool video explaining how to set proper tension and trigger travel that I used as a starting point...started shooting to his exact specs and absolutely loved it...surprise release every time and once I finally learned how to tune my bow, actually shooting really good groups for me...also like the fact that I can clip the release onto the d-loop when I get set up and just grab it and pull back when the time comes...have yet to hunt with it obviously, but can’t believe how much I enjoy a handheld release...feel like I’ve been missing out for the handful of years I’ve bow hunted without one.

No matter what you do, buy 2, and always keep the backup in your backpack! You'll end up dropping one out of the tree.

I used a Nock 2 It all last year. Loved it.
I used the knock 2 it at the end of last season and on a javalina hunt in February. What sold me on it was the kydex holster for it that fits perfect in a molle loop on your saddle. Definitely a added bonus.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Whatever release you choose to go with, spend $10 and get a Total Peep Target Release Holder. You'll be glad you did.
I literally was JUST looking at that and deciding if it was necessary or not...I guess you say yes huh lol I guess that “click” noise when detaching from the string is not as important as having that release not sideways and twisted when the moment of truth comes huh?

I literally was JUST looking at that and deciding if it was necessary or not...I guess you say yes huh lol I guess that “click” noise when detaching from the string is not as important as having that release not sideways and twisted when the moment of truth comes huh?
Completely necessary sir. Completely.

I have the Stan Shootoff for hunting and really like it. Also have a Stan Element as well that I just shoot in the backyard every now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever release you choose to go with, spend $10 and get a Total Peep Target Release Holder. You'll be glad you did.

I was unimpressed with the holder, I had one where the 2 sided tape let go of the rubber, not my release. It also didn't hold onto my string very well, any amount of movement on my bow and it would pop off.

Back