• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Managing Climbing Sticks

GreenMtHunter

Hey Everyone, I'm new to the Saddle scene and finally got all my gear. I've been doing some practicing and am noticing that I'm having trouble managing my climbing sticks (Muddy Pro Climbing Stick) after getting on the first stick. Not sure how to handle the other three. I was curious to know how everyone approaches this. Carry less sticks? Is there an efficient way to attach them to me or my saddle? Photos of modifications or DIY projects always appreciated! Would also be interested in learning how folks are creating their own DIY Climbing aiders. Thanks ahead of time for helping the rookie, have fun out there!

I tied a loop of paranoid to my other 3 sticks and clip said loop to a carabiner thats ran through my molle loops. One on each side and one on the back.

Also, I created a continuous loop of amsteel as my CAYG aider I hang it over versa button and remove it after ascending it.

Probably the biggest reason I got Hawk helium’s was for the suction cup system. Walking in I strap the sticks together with just a cheap Walmart webbing buckle and also have a single cheap tree stand backpack strap on the top stick in the stack. I carry them slung over my shoulder usually but lately I think I will just strap the stack of sticks to the back of my pack.

When I get to the tree I take that strap off the stack of sticks and the sticks are still held together with the suction cups. I pull one off the bottom of the stack and strap it to the tree, then sling the rest of the stack over the should and start climbing.

As I’m going up I take the next one off the bottom of the stack and strap it to the tree. At the top I just take the last stick off, strap it, then climb up on it. Then I’m ready to strap the platform to the tree.

I’ve tried the whole thing where you hook the rest of the sticks to each side of you and one off the back. But it just does not work for me. They’re heavy and cumbersome and they always seem to swing no matter what I do and bang into crap and make a bunch of noise. Just taking one off at a time as I need them seems to work really nicely for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sewed some straps to my bag to carry my sticks in. I also love the suction cups.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201009-191635_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201009-191635_Gallery.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 204
I’m not familiar with muddys but I assume they stack. What I do with my helium’s is I night ize them together for the hike in. They’re also strapped to my pack. When I get to the tree I strap one stick to the tree. The other two get clipped to my saddle via a plastic biner and a bit of paracord. I have a paracord loop attached to the top step of each stick which I clip to a loop on my saddle. Climb to the top of the first stick, unclip one stick from my saddle and strap to the tree. Lineman belt tension will assist you here. Too much slack and you’re too far away and fighting with it. Too close and you’re hugging the tree. You want Goldilocks. Enough space to maneuver the stick into place and sling the strap around the tree. Climb that stick and repeat for the next stick.

I use between 4 and 6 cut down lone wolf sticks (24”) with no aiders. Getting six up and a platform in one trip is a bit of a circus right now for me in the sense that I have 4 or 5 dangling off my pack and saddle. However, if I take my time, I can be quiet and pretty efficient. I basically use shock cord loops (I prefer these over paracord loops for ease of getting the sticks in and out) on either side of my pack and in the molle webbing on my saddle.

You could carry the muddy sticks stacked and like a sling.

I’ve been thinking about building a lightweight, rigid caddy or shelf out of wood or pvc to lay my sticks in. It would make it super simple as I climb...just reach in and grab one and vice Versa on the way back down. I’d rig it out with a sling strap and maybe a waist strap/hip belt and possibly design it to carry my platform as well.

I tied on a piece of paracord to top of 2 sticks. Hook these 2 sticks onto each side of my saddle by means of DanO Kydex Molle J Hooks. These are my top 2 sticks. Stick 2 sits on top of stick 1 ready to be hung.

4 sticks as needed.
Hang two sticks, climb down, attach other two to saddle loop, one on each side, attach bow rope and climb to final height.

This is how I used to run my Heliums. Duffle bag strap threw them over my shoulder and pulled em off one by one as I climbed.

a770d712a1d8517d455361aaf1535d83.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use between 4 and 6 cut down lone wolf sticks (24”) with no aiders. Getting six up and a platform in one trip is a bit of a circus right now for me in the sense that I have 4 or 5 dangling off my pack and saddle. However, if I take my time, I can be quiet and pretty efficient. I basically use shock cord loops (I prefer these over paracord loops for ease of getting the sticks in and out) on either side of my pack and in the molle webbing on my saddle.

You could carry the muddy sticks stacked and like a sling.

I’ve been thinking about building a lightweight, rigid caddy or shelf out of wood or pvc to lay my sticks in. It would make it super simple as I climb...just reach in and grab one and vice Versa on the way back down. I’d rig it out with a sling strap and maybe a waist strap/hip belt and possibly design it to carry my platform as well.
Thanks for the suggestions! I love the idea you’ve got going. Give it a shot! If you do, take some photos and show me how it ends up!

Thanks for the suggestions! I love the idea you’ve got going. Give it a shot! If you do, take some photos and show me how it ends up!

Sure thing! If and when I do, I’ll certainly post my findings and pictures here!

I only have experience with 3 of the 30" helium sticks and using the Ridge Runner platform. I will attach pictures of what i have been doing as you may be able to adjust for your situationand sticks. It has worked flawless and without clanking. Paracord loops tied to saddle (left, right and rear center). Place 1st stick on tree. Then place the other 2 sticks on paracord loops by the versa button (left and right side). The platform hangs in the back on the cord from the platform asjustment screw. Sticks and platform just lift straight off one handed when needed.
Keep playing with different options and you will find a system that works well for you. Once that happens you will decide to change your climbing method. Constantly trying to improve.
ae3351cbb239875c6336ffa2400b9c21.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I only have experience with 3 of the 30" helium sticks and using the Ridge Runner platform. I will attach pictures of what i have been doing as you may be able to adjust for your situationand sticks. It has worked flawless and without clanking. Paracord loops tied to saddle (left, right and rear center). Place 1st stick on tree. Then place the other 2 sticks on paracord loops by the versa button (left and right side). The platform hangs in the back on the cord from the platform asjustment screw. Sticks and platform just lift straight off one handed when needed.
Keep playing with different options and you will find a system that works well for you. Once that happens you will decide to change your climbing method. Constantly trying to improve.
ae3351cbb239875c6336ffa2400b9c21.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
This is great, thank you for the photo as well! Paracord loops seems to be a good option so I’ll be adding some to my Tethrd Mantis for this evening’s sit!

My brother had a good idea, made a longer accessories strap, hook the buttons and then clips to himself, they trail below him the same as his bow cord and just pulls it up

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I have yet to hunt from a saddle, but picked up 20” helium’s this weekend and tried them out in the backyard. I was wondering the same as the OP. The ideas everyone has are great. After first stick goes on the tree, i also thought about just clipping the strap from the next stick to the back of saddle. Then take the strap from the third stick and attach the loop to the versa on the second stick. Take the strap from fourth stick and attach to the versa on the third. When on stick #1 unclip stick#2 from back of saddle and pull up. Take strap from #3 and clip to back of saddle. Repeat once you climb up to step# 2 If you leave the straps long, the sticks stay on the ground longer and you won’t have the weight of 3 sticks at once. also once you in clip you next stick, you can lay it across the lineman’s belt whilst you clip the remaining stick(s) to back of saddle.
Again, I have zero experience trying this out in the field. Also, I like Heaths method and look forward to trying it.

UPDATE*** - After more playing around i've simply started hanging two sticks from my saddle, one directly each into the loop that attaches to either side of my bridge. There is enough room in the loop for me to hold the back side of the stick. I tried paracord loops on each side. I placed them behind my sys hauler on each side and I found that the sticks would clang together behind me as I started to climb. Still a work in progress, Thanks for all the feedback!

Well, we are all switching to super long HYS straps, DIY style.

Straps in a SYS hauler.

Perch, ROS and retrieve line on far end of HYS. Bow has a haul line to backpack and backpack attached to Haul line to HYS.

We then place each stick via button to a spot where they will not touch. Then the hook end of the HYS is clipped to back of saddle for ambidextrous access.

Straps should end up around 12 feet long for us. By the time you get up where the last steps are suspended in the air under you the haul line spool is attached to the backpack and holding pressure to keep the sticks away from the tree. When you reach the end of 25' haul line and 12' HYS strap your saddle would be 37' from the pack, which is a about 5' to 8' from the tree. You slid the pack closer and then pull it up, it will play out line for the bow which will come up last. It seemed weird this way the first few trips, but since we only go 15' to 20' it works great.

We daisy chain the excess HYS strap when we put it on the tree.

On the way down we have been putting the backpack down and swinging it out away from the tree, then the bow so the retrieve line pulls it towards the bag. Then putting the sticks back on the HYS directly under us so they are not down at the ground.

Well, we are all switching to super long HYS straps, DIY style.

Straps in a SYS hauler.

Perch, ROS and retrieve line on far end of HYS. Bow has a haul line to backpack and backpack attached to Haul line to HYS.

We then place each stick via button to a spot where they will not touch. Then the hook end of the HYS is clipped to back of saddle for ambidextrous access.

Straps should end up around 12 feet long for us. By the time you get up where the last steps are suspended in the air under you the haul line spool is attached to the backpack and holding pressure to keep the sticks away from the tree. When you reach the end of 25' haul line and 12' HYS strap your saddle would be 37' from the pack, which is a about 5' to 8' from the tree. You slid the pack closer and then pull it up, it will play out line for the bow which will come up last. It seemed weird this way the first few trips, but since we only go 15' to 20' it works great.

We daisy chain the excess HYS strap when we put it on the tree.

On the way down we have been putting the backpack down and swinging it out away from the tree, then the bow so the retrieve line pulls it towards the bag. Then putting the sticks back on the HYS directly under us so they are not down at the ground.

Sounds like you have a system that is working for you. That is good. It takes tinkering around to find a system that works.
Funny thing is.....when 1st I read your post, I had a picture in my mind of a train of hunting gear 40 feet long getting drug through leaves and branches toward and up a tree. No offense meant, just sharing a funny thought I had.

Back