• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Meat Grinders

HunterBob

I'm looking to buy my own grinder this year instead of borrowing my buddy's, which I have done the past three years. I normally process 3-4 deer a year, but grind most of the meat besides backstraps and loins. What would you recommend? I've looked into the MEAT brand that does a double grind with only one pass, but not sure if that is work the extra money or not. Would love any other recommendations as well.

Looking for something that isn't going to break the bank, but also good quality.

I recently bought a 1 hp MEAT grinder, but single pass not double- it's great and amazing compared to my old KitchenAid attachment. Ground approx 32 lbs with it so far, so not a ton, but so far so good. I didn't see a cost justification to the double grind, it chews through meat pretty quickly and the ground was still plenty cold so don't mind running it through twice

I use a KitchenAid mixer with a grinder attachment. Got it for the wife:tonguewink: I've put hundreds of pounds through it. I usually grind about 7 lbs at a time.

I've got a single grind, .75 LEM. Sometimes recipes call for doing things / adding stuff in between grinds, just an FYI mostly. If you have a grinder you'll probably be tempted to experiment

I ended up with the #8 M.E.A.T. and the foot pedal and it'll do anything I need it too currently. I opted to not go with the dual grind with the concept that plates may be easier to acquire if necessary, and I can choose how I grind.

Whichever is sold locally. If you crack a stuffing horn or lose the grinder plate you need in the middle of a sausage party you don't want to wait for UPS to bring you a replacement. Being able to pick up replacements at Ace Hardware or whatever you have locally would be the deciding factor for me.

Whichever is sold locally. If you crack a stuffing horn or lose the grinder plate you need in the middle of a sausage party you don't want to wait for UPS to bring you a replacement. Being able to pick up replacements at Ace Hardware or whatever you have locally would be the deciding factor for me.
Have you has that happen? The grinders I have used have pretty hefty stainless steel parts. Would be very surprised to see one break

Have you has that happen? The grinders I have used have pretty hefty stainless steel parts. Would be very surprised to see one break
Broke a stuffing horn once. In fairness it was plastic, came with the Gander Mountain stuffer I got as a Christmas present. Was fortunate to find that LEM components would fit.

speaking of locally sourced, the sporting goods store in town only sells Weston. Worth my time? What about Cabela’s brand? Most of their other cooking products are decent. Got a dehydrator I really like.

speaking of locally sourced, the sporting goods store in town only sells Weston. Worth my time? What about Cabela’s brand? Most of their other cooking products are decent. Got a dehydrator I really like.
My Weston is pretty lightweight but works well enough for what it is. My friends' Cabela's is an absolute monster and as I recall (it's been a couple years) takes LEM components. If someone could correct me on that I'd appreciate it.

If your wife has a Kitchen Aid as others have said, they work well. That thing acts like a 10 HP Evinrude

I went with the #8 MEAT! this year. Put 2 deer through it so far. I trimmed the fat, but left everything else. It never even slowed down. Just made a 25 pound batch of breakfast sausage, and I think this size will be perfect for my 3-4 deer per year.
And I'm 99% sure that LEM grinding plates/stuffing horns will work with the MEAT! brand grinders.

Back