• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Any input on LEM vs MEAT!

I bought the 1 HP meat a couple years ago. I've put about 200-300 pounds through it and really happy with how fast it processes the meat and how quiet it is. Disclaimer, I've never tried a LEM to compare to and only have experience with a hand crank and cheap crappy electric.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

I’ve owned a LEM for 20 + years with zero problems. IMO a LEM is a good product.

Last edited:
I’ve used MEAT! 1hp just like mentioned above and very impressed for the price. Sausage, ground, etc was quick and easy and relatively quiet

No experience with either, but look to see what's sold locally. If a stuffing horn or whatever breaks in the middle of what my hunting mentor calls a "sausage party", it would be highly inconvenient if you couldn't use what they sell at the local Runnings/Ace/Fleet Farm/Cabela's/etc., and had to order a replacement online. Luckily my store-brand stuff takes LEM items.

I have a Cabela's 1 1/2 horse meat grinder and it makes short work of a deer. It is a 32mm size, so I don't have to cut the meat up in small chunks. I have a LEM 17 lb. meat mixer which is a rebrand. It looks just like all the other meat mixers out there.

Sounds like both are great options. Anyone know of a comparable brand made in USA?

Sounds like both are great options. Anyone know of a comparable brand made in USA?

Whatever brand you decide to buy, keep in mind the size you buy. A small grinder will work but you will spend a lot more time cutting up the meat into smaller chunks before grinding. My Cabela's grinder is large enough that I can drop a soda can down the intake spout. I can chunk my deer meat up into rather large chunks and this makes a big difference on prep time. I can grind an average size deer in 5 minutes.

I don't think the brand you buy is as important as long as it looks to be good quality with good reviews. My suggestion is to buy the biggest you can afford.

Here is a Weston I like. Weston® Butcher Series™ #32 Meat Grinder - 09-3201-W | Weston Brands

MEAT or LEM are comparable in my opinion. I opted for the MEAT because they ran a sale AND they have a lifetime warranty. However, pretty much all LEM parts are available to purchase in case of a breakdown or replacement part, no need to send the grinder out. Another recommendation would be to buy at least one size up from what you think you need!

LEM and their people are solid. cant go wrong. No idea about MEAT. all my stuff is LEM. LEM puts stuff on sale all the time. get on their mailing list. Our local farm store carries LEM stuff which is dammed handy.

I've been pondering this as well, general consensus seems to be there they are relatively comparable quality wise, get whatever is on sale. I've also heard that the larger the better and 1hp should be the lower end cutoff, as the smaller units can wear out faster, though that's just regurgitated from googling, my only first hand experience is with the attachment on my 40 year old KitchenAid stand mixer.

Go as larger as long as weight isn't an issue. My 1 HP is heavy. I'm glad I have it but I don't like carrying it up from the basement.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Whatever brand you decide to buy, keep in mind the size you buy. A small grinder will work but you will spend a lot more time cutting up the meat into smaller chunks before grinding. My Cabela's grinder is large enough that I can drop a soda can down the intake spout. I can chunk my deer meat up into rather large chunks and this makes a big difference on prep time. I can grind an average size deer in 5 minutes.
Having used both my hand-me-down countertop Westin and my friend's mondo Cabela's grinder, the difference is staggering. Get the biggest grinder you can afford. The meat stays colder when it's ground quickly and your processing times are dramatically shortened. A proper, large-capacity grinder (probably LEM because that's what I can buy locally) is high on my list.

I invested in a Meat last season and it cut down my grinding time by over half. It’s like throwing meat into a wood chipper…you’ll break a sweat trying to keep up with it and I think I only bought the 3/4 horsepower.

Back