• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Michigan Man Charged With 125 Wildlife Crimes

Idiot. The nerve of some people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Disgusting.

Unfortunately he’ll probably serve concurrent jail time, if any, and the fines will be a relative slap on the wrist. That they set bail at $500 shows you how serious the judge considers these offenses.

Outside of getting caught the only other thing I’m optimistic about is him pleading not guilty. The DNR usually doesn’t prosecute without solid evidence and I’m sure they have enough to get a guilty verdict, so that doesn’t bode well for the accused.

Sent from d_mobile

@kyler1945, remember that conversation we had about the guy selling bear parts on the black market? This is another guy I'd like to have a conversation with. Wonder what you could learn from him.
I'd learn what his extreme upper limit of pain tolerance is, right before I split him from skull to breast bone with an axe........ but that's just me.

I'd learn what his extreme upper limit of pain tolerance is, right before I split him from skull to breast bone with an axe........ but that's just me.
I tend to save my ire for real criminals, like people who don't return their shopping carts. ;)

Seriously though, you can be interested in his methods without condoning his actions. We didn't exactly draw and quarter German and Japanese scientists after WW2. My conversations with outlaws have always been interesting, and it is my firm belief that no really good hunter got really good by obeying all the laws all the time.

I have too much to lose in the way of liberty, reputation, and property to break the laws for myself. So I'll listen anytime somebody without those constraints feels like sharing. Then I'll make the call on the head-splitting

I tend to save my ire for real criminals, like people who don't return their shopping carts. ;)

Seriously though, you can be interested in his methods without condoning his actions. We didn't exactly draw and quarter German and Japanese scientists after WW2. My conversations with outlaws have always been interesting, and it is my firm belief that no really good hunter got really good by obeying all the laws all the time.

I have too much to lose in the way of liberty, reputation, and property to break the laws for myself. So I'll listen anytime somebody without those constraints feels like sharing. Then I'll make the call on the head-splitting
Your a better man than me.

When you operate outside the constraint of the Rule of Law and local/state game regulations i'm sure most of what makes the hunt 'The Hunt' is lost, as well as your reason for pursuing animals for reasons other than the thrill of the kill. The only thing you'd learn, like we have with dozens of other criminals throughout history, is how they perfected the art of breaking the law, and in this case is probably exclusive of also being a 'good' hunter.

I'd speculate, based on my extremely amatuer and limited understanding of criminal psychology, that this person aligns psychologically to other mass murderers throughout history. He even plainly said, "I enjoyed doing it." in the article. Of course the kill is part of the hunt, but to kill that many federally protected animals in such a short amount of time should raise some serious red flags. We're probably lucky it didn't progress to other other non-game species, ie: humans.

That should be mandatory jail time. Whatever happened to three strikes your out? This is 125 strikes!

$30k in restitution? That’s way low. Should be atleast another 0 tacked on there.

$500 bail? Why even have bail then?....smh...

When you operate outside the constraint of the Rule of Law and local/state game regulations i'm sure most of what makes the hunt 'The Hunt' is lost, as well as your reason for pursuing animals for reasons other than the thrill of the kill. The only thing you'd learn, like we have with dozens of other criminals throughout history, is how they perfected the art of breaking the law, and in this case is probably exclusive of also being a 'good' hunter.
I've come to realize I feel very differently about hunting than most people. As a little kid I wanted to live in a teepee in the Canadian wilderness. Off the grid and left alone, and 100% self reliant. I guess I've come close to achieving that, living outside city limits on the edge of a quarter million acres of swamp. I've accepted that self-reliance is a myth, but I still try not to outsource any more of my needs than I have to. I hunt and fish, and the wife has a little garden. We're getting chickens, and looking into digging a well and converting to solar.

It takes a surprising amount of deer, ducks, squirrels, and fish to feed just me and my wife. People who say 3-4 deer feed their family for a year aren't trying to eliminate all commercial meat. We will eat the 10 deer I killed last year, plus all the small game and fish I can scrounge. Even in my very lenient state, it is hard to kill that many critters legally while maintaining a full time job and taking care of the rest of my life.

Most of the efficient methods of hunting and fishing are illegal. I could easily fill my freezers if night hunting deer and shocking fish were legal, and if the population would support it and i didn't have to worry about The Man, I would do so and enjoy it. The type of hunting a lot of people seem to enjoy just doesn't sound fun to me. Spending thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours to kill 1 deer or catch a few fish sounds pointless.

Now, I understand too well that the environment won't sustain the types of harvest methods it would when there was more wilderness and fewer people. It cant sustain every family commiting to "living off the land." So I support some conservation laws. Maybe even most of them. But I don't think anybody on this site agrees entirely with all the laws, or obeys them all.

So we're all either criminals or wannabe criminals, whether we admit it or not. I have no problem admitting I'd like to try spotlighting deer, shocking fish, or maybe even seeing if a dang bald eagle was tasty when wrapped in bacon and cooked over pecan for a few hours. Like I said, I can't do that. But I would if I could. I enjoy killing and eating wild game, which is the purpose of hunting and fishing. All the other stuff people talk about can be accomplished on a mild overnight backpacking trip for much less of an investment.

Money spent, rituals performed, rules followed, virtues signalled, and tropes repeated add nothing to the hunt for me. It's all yuppie stuff in my mind.

As far as there being nothing to learn from criminals except how to break the law, I think that's awfully narrow minded. Next to armed conflict, nothing spurs innovative thinking like criminal activity. Just ask a cop or prison guard. I learned everything you could ever need to know about cheaply growing plants indoors from a guy who grew and sold marijuana in his basement. Apparently, you can get busted if your energy and water bill show unusual activity, so criminals know more about doing that sort of thing on a budget than the recreational plant growing community. And I've learned plenty from older "reformed" poachers who did all kinds of questionable things as young men.

Again, not condoning Mr. Wolf-and-Eagle-Killer. Not condoning all the medical students who robbed graves back in the day either. Just wondering how you kill 18 wolves in a year, when most folks can't even manage to see one.

Biggest reason i am scared to break any hunting or fishing law is losing my license. not being able to legally hunt or fish would just suck. i would feel like my life is worthless. not saying i want to kill bald eagles or wolves either, more like the reason i tag and report every deer/turkey, always have my license up to date, etc.

That should be mandatory jail time. Whatever happened to three strikes your out? This is 125 strikes!

$30k in restitution? That’s way low. Should be atleast another 0 tacked on there.

$500 bail? Why even have bail then?....smh...
And if anyone thinks this will stop him from continuing, my thought is they'd be wrong. People like this need to have their hands cut off. That'd slow him down.

Check out this guy's books.....70s game warden stories with interviews on Florida's most notorious poachers

They speak whatever’s on their minds, they do whatever’s in their pants. The boys I mean are not refined they shake the mountains when they dance

I agree with E.E. Cummings

If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?

And Solzhenitsyn.

Better to learn from the crazies than to shun them. I’m just an ape like them.

I've come to realize I feel very differently about hunting than most people. As a little kid I wanted to live in a teepee in the Canadian wilderness. Off the grid and left alone, and 100% self reliant. I guess I've come close to achieving that, living outside city limits on the edge of a quarter million acres of swamp. I've accepted that self-reliance is a myth, but I still try not to outsource any more of my needs than I have to. I hunt and fish, and the wife has a little garden. We're getting chickens, and looking into digging a well and converting to solar.

It takes a surprising amount of deer, ducks, squirrels, and fish to feed just me and my wife. People who say 3-4 deer feed their family for a year aren't trying to eliminate all commercial meat. We will eat the 10 deer I killed last year, plus all the small game and fish I can scrounge. Even in my very lenient state, it is hard to kill that many critters legally while maintaining a full time job and taking care of the rest of my life.

Most of the efficient methods of hunting and fishing are illegal. I could easily fill my freezers if night hunting deer and shocking fish were legal, and if the population would support it and i didn't have to worry about The Man, I would do so and enjoy it. The type of hunting a lot of people seem to enjoy just doesn't sound fun to me. Spending thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours to kill 1 deer or catch a few fish sounds pointless.

Now, I understand too well that the environment won't sustain the types of harvest methods it would when there was more wilderness and fewer people. It cant sustain every family commiting to "living off the land." So I support some conservation laws. Maybe even most of them. But I don't think anybody on this site agrees entirely with all the laws, or obeys them all.

So we're all either criminals or wannabe criminals, whether we admit it or not. I have no problem admitting I'd like to try spotlighting deer, shocking fish, or maybe even seeing if a dang bald eagle was tasty when wrapped in bacon and cooked over pecan for a few hours. Like I said, I can't do that. But I would if I could. I enjoy killing and eating wild game, which is the purpose of hunting and fishing. All the other stuff people talk about can be accomplished on a mild overnight backpacking trip for much less of an investment.

Money spent, rituals performed, rules followed, virtues signalled, and tropes repeated add nothing to the hunt for me. It's all yuppie stuff in my mind.

As far as there being nothing to learn from criminals except how to break the law, I think that's awfully narrow minded. Next to armed conflict, nothing spurs innovative thinking like criminal activity. Just ask a cop or prison guard. I learned everything you could ever need to know about cheaply growing plants indoors from a guy who grew and sold marijuana in his basement. Apparently, you can get busted if your energy and water bill show unusual activity, so criminals know more about doing that sort of thing on a budget than the recreational plant growing community. And I've learned plenty from older "reformed" poachers who did all kinds of questionable things as young men.

Again, not condoning Mr. Wolf-and-Eagle-Killer. Not condoning all the medical students who robbed graves back in the day either. Just wondering how you kill 18 wolves in a year, when most folks can't even manage to see one.
images.jpeg

They speak whatever’s on their minds, they do whatever’s in their pants. The boys I mean are not refined they shake the mountains when they dance

I agree with E.E. Cummings

If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?

And Solzhenitsyn.

Better to learn from the crazies than to shun them. I’m just an ape like them.
It's ee cummings, you troglodyte. ;)

Maybe Mr Wolf/Eagle could be caught in the woods doing his illicit activities and be served good old fashion justice and save the taxpayers some money and still get the message across. He should never get a hunting lic. anywhere in the country.

Back