• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mobile Blind Setups - Gobblers

bluetoofew

What are you guys doing for mobile blinds in turkey season?

Any DIY stuff out there that’s better than the commercially available cover?

Is carrying an enclosed shoot through pop up worth the weight penalty? I usually put down some miles during spring turkey.

I use the Mad Max V blind for ultralight running and gunning. I use an Ameristep Throwdown blind if I plan to stay put more. Neither weigh much and I use them equally during the season.

Easy fix is just 3-d netting and throwing it over you or one of those little stake blinds works well.. if those dont suit then maybe a Hips blind

I got cabellas version of the doghouse years ago on sale. Cheaply made not super big but so light fast and easy I've been using that. I like it a lot. But I tend to hunt ag and am putting it up in the cut corn or cut bean field. I should say I loved it. Leant it to brother. It went missing... was found in a horse pasture... two holes big enough, ironically, for my 50lb dog to climb through now. All the ameristep ones are double the money that I paid before...

You don’t need a blind or any of that other stuff.

I think @dalton916 was actually being serious, and I happen to agree with him. I've used different kinds of blinds through the years, from ghillie's, portable pole blinds, light weight pop up blinds, and I've had success with all of them. I've also sat in only camo and had birds within 10 yards that never knew I was there.

For me, I only use a blind in a couple situations now. (1) If I feel I really need to hunt a field and there's absolutely nothing to sit against. A chair in a blind is comfortable and keeps you in some shade on a hot day. (2) If I'm taking one of my kids who can't sit still long, or may need to move to get a shot.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: Complete camo and no movement!

Case in point.... My son took this bird on opening day of youth season yesterday. We were just standing up in the middle of a walking trail on the side of a mountain just listening, when 3 Jakes came down the hill towards us. We were in complete camo, including face masks, and simply didn't move for 10 minutes straight. letting them get within range of his 20 gauge. They had all the opportunity in the world to see us. Camo, stay still, and be patient!

1554728132198.png
clip_image002.jpg
clip_image002.jpg
clip_image001.jpg

I have never used a blind for turkeys. I have had really good success as a run and gun turkey hunter just wearing my normal camo and sitting with my back to a tree to break up my outline. As long as you adequately cover up your face and hands and stay still they won't know you're there. The trick to staying still is to setup in a shooting position early and only make your final move when the bird passes behind something.

If I am bringing along my son, which I hope to do a lot this season, I will set up the ghost blind this season and see how that works.
But if we are running and gunning covering some serious ground, I will go with out a blind and just set up against a tree and stay still. I have had more success with the running and gunning, but some days it was tough dragging the kid through the woods lol.

I tend to agree. But find since I'm hunting fields and/or with a new hunter pretty much everytime I bring a little blind with me. I stalked/ crawled up on last year's bird.

I used a blind a few times mostly when I'm setting up on field gobblers, taking a youth or non hunter. its been several years. I've never used a decoy or fanned one, not that I'm opposed just never needed one.
I hoping to put my skills to the test this weekend and get Denotes a bird or two if were real lucky. I haven't hunted much the last few years and haven't been in the woods yet this year.

100% serious. Get you a gobbler lounger and be still.

355ddc57860df9e352046380824a6f03.jpg

I’ve sat on my butt up against a fence post in a pasture and had a hen step over my legs.

With the seat pictured above you don’t even need a tree to lean back on. Now, I would recommend having a tree at your back, but a lot of times those trees flare out at the bottom or have roots in the way and this seat lets you get away from those obstructions and still have something to lean back into.

They were $29 before they became popular so shop around. Rogers has them for $39 or so. I think they’re $59 at Cabelas now.

I bow hunt and obviously movement is necessary so a ground blind comes in pretty handy. Killed a bird in the opening week this year from a hub style blind. It was preset the night before after roosting the bird. I have run and gun with them but they are pretty cumbersome. If I was gun hunting I think I would just find a tree to sit still against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taken several birds over the years from a 4 lb green REI camp chair that was out before those were available, but just like them. I am going full blown redneck chair this year! Converted two aluminum tubing beach chairs that the seats rotted out. Weighs less than 2 lbs with Gorilla tape as the seat and back!
39022491c52b6e301bf9522faec0fe24.jpg

I think @dalton916 was actually being serious, and I happen to agree with him. I've used different kinds of blinds through the years, from ghillie's, portable pole blinds, light weight pop up blinds, and I've had success with all of them. I've also sat in only camo and had birds within 10 yards that never knew I was there.

For me, I only use a blind in a couple situations now. (1) If I feel I really need to hunt a field and there's absolutely nothing to sit against. A chair in a blind is comfortable and keeps you in some shade on a hot day. (2) If I'm taking one of my kids who can't sit still long, or may need to move to get a shot.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: Complete camo and no movement!

Case in point.... My son took this bird on opening day of youth season yesterday. We were just standing up in the middle of a walking trail on the side of a mountain just listening, when 3 Jakes came down the hill towards us. We were in complete camo, including face masks, and simply didn't move for 10 minutes straight. letting them get within range of his 20 gauge. They had all the opportunity in the world to see us. Camo, stay still, and be patient!

View attachment 11443
clip_image002.jpg
clip_image002.jpg
clip_image001.jpg
Landon was happy on Saturday for sure!

For the record, Kelvin is a turkey magnet and could sit in the parking lot at Walmart and have a better chance at a bird than than the rest of us combined in our best spots! Not saying he doesn't put in the work, he does that and then some and is why we call him Hardcore, but all things being equal, the birds will come his way almost every time!

Back