• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Modded Novix Sticks- pack flat

stone1

I've modded the Novix mini sticks so they can pack flat. Essentially replaced standing bolts with grade 8 1/4"- 3" bolts and used a 5/16 nut to space the offset bracket from the stick. I've jump tested each stick and we're looking good. I'm 200lbs and seems to be just as stable as the original design. With this spacing it also gives you slightly more boot room between the step and tree

Heres some photos

IMG-3672.jpgIMG-3673.jpgIMG-3679.jpg

Very interesting. I was thinking of experimenting with @GBlevins92 threaded insert method, but this saves drilling your sticks, and buying the inserts.

The longer bolt looks like you lose the normal vertical stacking, but if the goal is side stacking who cares I guess.

Any safety/engineering whizzes on here have thoughts about this approach?

Very interesting. I was thinking of experimenting with @GBlevins92 threaded insert method, but this saves drilling your sticks, and buying the inserts.

The longer bolt looks like you lose the normal vertical stacking, but if the goal is side stacking who cares I guess.

Any safety/engineering whizzes on here have thoughts about this approach?

For me, the goal is a compact stacking. Whether it's inside out, upside down I don't care. The further that weight is from your body the heavier it will feel.

Interesting to hear what an engineer or person more educated than myself would say. I can say I did attempt this with stainless steel bolts and two 5/16 nuts between the offset and stick and it failed the jump test. The distance between the stick and offset was too great and compromised the bolt.

Also, by jump test, I'm not referring to a single jump or 10 jumps. I set the stick up and spend a full minute just pounding up and down on each step trying to get the stick to fail. I then take the stick apart to see if the bolt is still perfectly straight and anything looks compromised.

No wear on the Grade 8s after testing.

I am only 200lbs so that's not to say someone 230 or heavier wouldn't run into issues. I honestly don't think many sticks on the market would hold up to being jumped on as I did for these sticks.

They stack pretty well with zero mods. I may try the nutsert mod.
a7baa9cb22c8972d0b503f65ee054a4a.jpg
2aec335007a07f398288033a4eeaeddf.jpg

Just FYI I run mine flush without an insert. I double nut the bolt inside the tube.

Attachments

• BEE49E62-9512-47F4-A016-72F35B26B63D.jpeg
    BEE49E62-9512-47F4-A016-72F35B26B63D.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 122
They stack pretty well with zero mods. I may try the nutsert mod.
a7baa9cb22c8972d0b503f65ee054a4a.jpg
2aec335007a07f398288033a4eeaeddf.jpg
Yeah they do. Kinda embarrassing i didn't pay attention to @Vtbow trying to tell me that. Glad I eventually listened before I started modeling.

Side stack them like that and take the cam buckles out and tie them with the buckleless method, and we're into big-brain territory

Yeah they do. Kinda embarrassing i didn't pay attention to @Vtbow trying to tell me that. Glad I eventually listened before I started modeling.

Side stack them like that and take the cam buckles out and tie them with the buckleless method, and we're into big-brain territory
Yeah, I've been trying to tell people that for years...literally :)

Back