• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Neck Meat - What do you do with it?

DB4x4

Let me preface this by saying...I hate silver skin and connective tissue on the meat. I am OCD when it comes to trimming away all the gross gunk...

Screenshot_20211106-074044.png

That said, I just shot a buck that had a huge neck and I pulled a bunch of neck meat from him. However, it is pretty tough and grisly. I could try and trim away all the junk, but the time/effort to yield ratio wouldn't be great.

I am assuming most folks just grind it all, but I would prefer not to include all that junk in mine. If I cut it into roasts, will the slow cooker melt all the unsavory tissue away?

Any other ideas? What does everyone do with the neck?

We do a lot of whole neck roasts. I'm not afraid to grind one up though, just depends on freezer space and time really

Ground meat. 60/20/20 venison/ pork/ beef

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like the others I'll use it as a de-boned stuffed roast, ground it up, cooked it in the Instant Pot pressure cooker and it turns out great, however here's another option....... can it in a pressure canner. It comes out fantastic. I can quite a bit of my deer meat. No refrigeration needed to store it and it comes out so tender and delicious it's amazing. Makes it very easy to whip up a quick dinner or lunch as well..... just open a jar or two of meat and add a can of creamed mushroom or chicken soup along with some peas and some noodles, heat and you have a killer meal. Canning turns the toughest cuts of meat into perfect tender meat and the process will turn any silver skin into creamy fat.

Like the others I'll use it as a de-boned stuffed roast, ground it up, cooked it in the Instant Pot pressure cooker and it turns out great, however here's another option....... can it in a pressure canner. It comes out fantastic. I can quite a bit of my deer meat. No refrigeration needed to store it and it comes out so tender and delicious it's amazing. Makes it very easy to whip up a quick dinner or lunch as well..... just open a jar or two of meat and add a can of creamed mushroom or chicken soup along with some peas and some noodles, heat and you have a killer meal. Canning turns the toughest cuts of meat into perfect tender meat and the process will turn any silver skin into creamy fat.

I have got to get into canning.

You have to pay strict attention to the pressure and time requirements during the process but it's really very easy to do and it's just amazing how convenient it is when it comes to long term venison storage and how delicious the end result is.

I'm interested in pressure canning, but I've heard you have to be on top of the temp, pressure, and time to do it safely. Do you have any books or resources uou recimmend?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

So you don’t try to cut away silver skin? I ask because I just did my very first small batch but would love to get away from all the time consuming trimming

I have a canning book from Ball but it doesn’t really discuss venison much but a friend told me to can at 10 lbs pressure for 1.5 hours. Is that what others do as well?

Instapot for 2- 2.5 hrs or crockpot for 8. deboned and tied up. Dont worry about silver skin. It melts away when you slow cook it. Its one of my favorite cuts on a buck. Doe necks dont have much on em tho. Might need 2 depending on the size

When you purchase a pressure canner it should come with an instruction booklet that will explain the amount of pressure required and how long the jars must remain in the pressure canner at the required pressure. "Ball" , a major manufacturer of canning supplies, has a couple of excellent tutorial books available on Amazon that tell you everything you need to know to pressure can everything from vegetables to fish and meat. The amount of pressure required depends on the elevation above sea level where you live. Here on Long Island with our elevation you need to process venison at a constant 11 psi for 90 minutes if using quart jars or 75 minutes for pint jars. After the process is complete you simply put the jars aside and let them cool down. It's really very easy. As for the silver skin, I really don't worry about it. That 90 minutes of cooking under pressure dissolves it just like the Instant Pot pressure cooker does when you cook it in there. The best pressure canner to buy is the "All American" pressure canner. It's made in America, all solid metal and the craftsmanship tolerances are so tight that it doesn't require any rubber or synthetic gaskets (which all the others do require) to seal the canner and maintain pressure... so you never have to worry about having to replace gaskets. They're a bit pricey but worth every penny.

I always just grind it up but thinking I might try deboning it while this year. How long are y’all cooking it in the Instant Pot to get it done?

So excuse my ignorance, I'm still honing my processing skills, but...

Screenshot_20211106-174416.png

... Are y'all/yinz really leaving all that snot on there? Or do you trim it down more than shown in the photo?

Back