• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need headlamp recommendations...

IkemanTX

I am looking for a really good, RED headlamp for hunting.

I am not too picky on battery type, but definitely want red, and very good power.
It seems there’s all kinds of lights on the market right now, but they only advertise how bright the main white light is. There seems to be very little info on how bright the red or RGB.

Anyone have a really nice, rugged headlamp with good red light brightness they can recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a petzl ELight if I absolutely need a light. It is the bare minimum though.

If your not 100% on the headlamp I bought an awesome red flashlight on Amazon I have been using. Bigasports gave me a green one that’s the same just green light.
I think a few guys bought some after I posted the link before. The amount of light is awesome for like $9.99.
@Erniepower didn’t you buy a couple of these lights?

I have to say petzl. I get a new light every year or so from my mother in law. Funny thing is I lose them the wife and kids. LOL

Could you just put red plastic over a strong white one. I also haven’t seen high power red lens headlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If your not 100% on the headlamp I bought an awesome red flashlight on Amazon I have been using. Bigasports gave me a green one that’s the same just green light.
I think a few guys bought some after I posted the link before. The amount of light is awesome for like $9.99.
@Erniepower didn’t you buy a couple of these lights?

Yep, I bought VA green one and was really impressed. I can try to look it up today and show the exact one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've always like my Black Diamond Storm to the point that I am on my 4th or 5th one and always have a backup. I am good for losing about 1 headlamp and 1 pair of sunglasses a year haha. The red setting isn't super bright, but I don't know how it compares to other headlamps, I haven't tried any other brands in probably 10 years.

edit - scratch my recommendation for the OP, the red isn't very bright. Still a good light though, I just use red to climb the tree.

Last edited:
I have had and still do have all of the ones mentioned above and this is the best I’ve found. It’s not huge and bulky, gives off a ton of light and you can focus the beam. The main beam is easily dimmable (not some screwy combination), it also has the red led. Best of all it comes with a rechargeable battery and charger and you can charge the battery in the light or out of the light, but you can also insert AAA batteries if you need to leave your battery behind to charge. The rechargeable battery lasts a long time though.

https://www.amazon.com/Coast-FL75-Color-Focusing-Headlamp/dp/B01BD4HE6E

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To be completely honest, I’m really surprised that there aren’t more options out there that are just red.... or equally powered in red.

It’s like pulling teeth to find one with any mention of how bright their red light is.

Yep, I bought VA green one and was really impressed. I can try to look it up today and show the exact one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I thought you did. How bright they are for the price is impressive. I'm going into my 3? year with the very first ones I bought. I don't climb with a light anymore but i used to have one from Walmart to climb with I think it was only 7 lumens and perfect to climb with a little light and at like $14 I could afford to lose one. LOL

To be completely honest, I’m really surprised that there aren’t more options out there that are just red.... or equally powered in red.

It’s like pulling teeth to find one with any mention of how bright their red light is.

You know there’s a lot of evidence now days that suggest the a white light doesn’t mean any more or less to a deer. Also having a good white light makes it much easier for you to be quieter going in and out and making it faster.

Nitecore HA20 has worked OK for me so far. Sometimes I have a white light ND as toggling through the modes is a little tricky. Purchased from Amazon.

You know there’s a lot of evidence now days that suggest the a white light doesn’t mean any more or less to a deer. Also having a good white light makes it much easier for you to be quieter going in and out and making it faster.

I have seen lots of guys discuss this, but the deer around me have reacted drastically any time I use white light. The best description of their reaction is “turn inside out” I also had a doe absolutely freak out with my handheld green light last year, though it is a very intense light.

My goal with the red is to not wash out my eyesight as badly, and because I have never had a bad deer reaction from red light alone. Both white and green effect my vision for several minutes after use.

A red only light with a nice bright beam for walking in, and a subtly low setting for climbing would be the cat’s meow.

My backup handheld green light will light up a football field, so if I am in need of bright light getting out of dodge, I’m covered there. I currently have a ridiculously powerful white light headlamp powered by 18650 batteries that I would like to transition to a blood tracking only light instead of my only headlamp.

My personal opinion is that it depends on the deer you have. I have seen a white light send deer running to the next county while others just stand there and let you walk right by. I dont have any experience with a green light. I bought a red light last year for predator hunting. I've used it a few times and had it on different deer multiple times and none have spooked and it did not appear to affect them at all. I am going to use a red light only this year and see what happens. Does anyone know anything about the DanForce lights?

Back