• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New paraplegic guy here

Exojam

New to the forum and felt this was my best place to start since I have a question.

I am wondering if there are any other paralyzed folks here who saddle hunt? I have not started saddle hunting at this time but plan on doing so next hunting season as I will be vary limited on my hunts this year. If there are any other folks like me here or other saddle hunters who have taken someone like me out, what is the type of harness that was used?

From my research so far it seems to me I will need a harness that would be more used for arbor workers, I see they cost a lot more but it is what it is. From the harness’ I have seen for saddle hunting there would just not be enough leg and back support for me, as I really need to as much pressure off my cheeks as possible.

And before someone asks I plan on accessing the tree via an SRT method and may end up with some type of seat to take up with me so I can take some breaks from hanging if necessary. Do I believe I will be able to pull off all the shots as an able bodied person, no, but it will be better than hunting from my action track chair. Thanks.

Welcome to the site! I can't give much input as to what saddle will beat suit you but I'm sure some guys on here will have something! I think this style of hunting is by far the most versatile way to hunt from a tree and it should be able to work out for you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New to the forum and felt this was my best place to start since I have a question.

I am wondering if there are any other paralyzed folks here who saddle hunt? I have not started saddle hunting at this time but plan on doing so next hunting season as I will be vary limited on my hunts this year. If there are any other folks like me here or other saddle hunters who have taken someone like me out, what is the type of harness that was used?

From my research so far it seems to me I will need a harness that would be more used for arbor workers, I see they cost a lot more but it is what it is. From the harness’ I have seen for saddle hunting there would just not be enough leg and back support for me, as I really need to as much pressure off my cheeks as possible.

And before someone asks I plan on accessing the tree via an SRT method and may end up with some type of seat to take up with me so I can take some breaks from hanging if necessary. Do I believe I will be able to pull off all the shots as an able bodied person, no, but it will be better than hunting from my action track chair. Thanks.
Welcome! Not able to help, but where are you at? I'm sure some guys would love to help with saddle hunting history.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Hi there - I have a feeling that people on this list will all come together to give you good information. Are you 100% paralyzed or do you have any ability to move your legs? I have spina bifida myelomeningocele but I’m pretty ambulatory. You will likely have to get something rigged up to where a tree is prepared already for you to where you can utilize your upper body strength to pull you up the tree. There are smarter people than me on this form that will be able to figure this out and I suspect we can all come together to help you. Welcome!!!

Where do you live?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hi there - I have a feeling that people on this list will all come together to give you good information. Are you 100% paralyzed or do you have any ability to move your legs? I have spina bifida myelomeningocele but I’m pretty ambulatory. You will likely have to get something rigged up to where a tree is prepared already for you to where you can utilize your upper body strength to pull you up the tree. There are smarter people than me on this form that will be able to figure this out and I suspect we can all come together to help you. Welcome!!!

No use of the legs.

I have watched some videos and it looks like I could use a snake anchor to hold my line and than either toss it (weighted bag) over a limb or shot it over and use a double handed ascender to get up. I do not want to have to leave anything in the woods so it would be setup (by myself), hunt and pack out.

Welcome to the forum exojam. These are good people here

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Welcome. I would look at the new guidos web. You would have plenty of support under your legs and butt and also a good backrest. I applaud your desire to want to saddle hunt and have often wondered if this is a viable way for people who were paralyzed. I will be very interested in hearing how things work out for you. I'm not the most seasoned of people on this site I can assure you so there may be some other guys that could make some better suggestions and I. I'll try and share the link to the new guidos web thread. Saddle Hunters are great people you may be able to even get some of the guys to help customize something for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum from Arkansas. I was born and raised in Mass. great group of helpful guys on this site! No doubt you will be underway in Saddle Hunting soon

Welcome

The Guidos web was the first thing that I thought of

Maybe @Autumnrider could better discuss the new Webs possibilities or hook u up with the owner for some brainstorming

Welcome to the site! I think the Guidos as mentioned before, but I don't have one so I can't really help much there, but I am a huge fan of SRT. I'm in Northern VA but have family in Southern NH and I'll be headed up that way this summer, if you want we could go over SRT stuff, but for saddle's I'm too cheap to buy anything fancy, I use a rock climbing harness and a sit drag or fleece saddle, lol.

Back