• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New strap mod....

dalton916

SH Member
......for my sticks and my platform. So recently I ordered some woven daisy chain webbing to use as a gear holder. Well when I got it the wheels started turning and I would up using a single piece as both my gear holder and my aider and posted a thread on here about such. Yesterday I went out and tested it as a strap for my sticks and my platform. Amazing stuff.

184143e24aefb721833dba38beb675ba.jpg

7,000 lb breaking strength
6’ weighs 2.9 oz
8’ weighs 3.9 oz
Well less than $1/ft

What’s not to love, right?

eb4ce25d9ab4940ba40c83b50ac10d4d.jpg

af574ba00bb0d0ff98ec600315cd67d8.jpg

55a21b4e2fae744ea9d2e030e1182c27.jpg

743f72bd36dd36ce47c25043cc8d336d.jpg

That last pic is all of my 6-3, 260# self on the platform alone. Didn’t budge.

I’m officially done with LW straps, amsteel mods, rope mods, etc. this stuff is simply too strong, too cheap and too light for me to concern myself with other options.

Don’t believe me? Drop $5 or so on a 6’ piece and see for yourself.

I originally got mine from Dutch, but I since found out that DanO sells it as well. He didn’t have it listed on his site when I checked, but holler at him and see.

Search “double steps” on here and you’ll find him.

I got some of that spider daisy chain webbing, to use as an extra step and to wrap around tree for a gear holder

I won't have any in my hands until 1/25 due to shipping delays, but went ahead and put it on the store. Picked up a small quantity to test the waters, if you're already ordering something from DoubleSteps this makes it easy.

https://doublesteps.com/product/woven-daisy-chain-webbing/

I bought some spider daisy chain to test that out and boy is that lightweight! I don't like the colors though (blue/black), so I'm working on getting tan/olive or black/gray at least.

I must've let my joy of how great and versatile this stuff is fog my brain, the breaking strength is 5000# for the webbing and 2000# for the individual loops. My bad.

Here's the specs:

Width: 1 inch
Weight: 13.9 grams per foot
Overall Webbing Break Strength: 5000 pounds
Individual Loop Break Strength: 2000 pounds

I just pulled the trigger. I've heard the loops are too big to get sticks snug and the material too bulky for versabuttons, but it's worth trying. I like ole Dano, and am happy to send $20 his way to try and eliminate buckles. This and 1/16th wall tubing may get my API's below 6lbs, which would put them back in the same league as wild edge steps.

I just pulled the trigger. I've heard the loops are too big to get sticks snug and the material too bulky for versabuttons, but it's worth trying. I like ole Dano, and am happy to send $20 his way to try and eliminate buckles. This and 1/16th wall tubing may get my API's below 6lbs, which would put them back in the same league as wild edge steps.

Actually I think the loop is the perfect size for the versa button, not hard at all to get on/off and not so loose that you're concerned with it coming off.

Perfect size. Takes zero effort to go from here.....

b58fbfb4b0471454a066f703a0391b0c.jpg

To here....

ceb76b17b3ebe5fdb8a78354f3719326.jpg

To here....

d6b77f9951db5859701410215071ef0b.jpg

The material is not stiff so it’s easy to slip over the versa button.

Like I said before, it will work on some things, just not very well in my opinion. The 3” loop size will go over a Versa button very easy. It’s the 1” width that sucks. Things get really crammed behind the button with essentially four pieces of flat 1” webbing stuffed in there. A LW versa button is just shy of 1 3/4” in diameter, so that does help keep the wider 1” webbing in place.

Next is the weave. I absolutely love the idea of the weave! I just wish it wasn’t so freaking wide at roughly 1/2”. This cuts into your available usable loop. The Versa Strap stitches at approximately 3/16” wide help with this.

I’m curious to see what others find when using this on a camming style platform. I had issues which is one of the reasons I came up with the original Predatail in the first place. Although thanks to the people on here, new ideas on how to better implement the Versa Strap on camming platforms came to the surface, specifically adding twists to the strap or wrapping it around the post of the platform. These methods may or may not also work on the Dutchware strap.

The biggest downside of the 1” Dutchware strap is it doesn’t work effectively on any button much smaller than a LW versa button, unless the spacing between the back of the button and the post are significantly longer to allow for all of the webbing that needs to fit in there. For example I would have to say Beast Sticks or a similar DIY button would be an absolute no go for this strap. The button diameter is way to small for containment and the spacing at 3/8” is way to short. On the other hand, the new LWCG sticks at ATA had a very small button head with maybe a 1” or more spacing. These looked like prototypes, but as long as they don’t make any big changes there, I would say the Dutchware strap could potentially work on those as well. Packability, how they stow around your sticks, etc are also things to take into consideration.

I messed around with the Dutchware straps enough to know I wanted to make something better and more universal, which is what ultimately led to the Versa/Versa Lites. The feedback has been phenomenal and I appreciate everyone who has ordered.

I will be the first to say I cannot compete, or argue with the price of the Dutchware strap. They are made in a machine which rolls out several feet per second. Mine are all cut and sewn by hand. It is what it is.

I would not blame anyone for giving these a try for your particular system, especially at that price. Only you know if it might work. The aspects and functionality of how a strap works may mean everything to one saddle hunter and nothing to another.

I will however continue to stand behind what I’ve made, as I made it specifically for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect size. Takes zero effort to go from here.....

b58fbfb4b0471454a066f703a0391b0c.jpg

To here....

ceb76b17b3ebe5fdb8a78354f3719326.jpg

To here....

d6b77f9951db5859701410215071ef0b.jpg

The material is not stiff so it’s easy to slip over the versa button.

What is the width of the weave on yours. I can’t tell from the pics but it looks like it might be significantly narrower than the stuff I had.

What is the width of the weave on yours. I can’t tell from the pics but it looks like it might be significantly narrower than the stuff I had.

I have one in front of me right now so I'll jump in - its roughly 7/16".

I'll also add...these Dutchware straps are generic straps that are not designed by a master thread injector like @ckossuth. They may work for some, they may not. I plan to run some gear hangers with them and test them out for climbing sticks. I already have different cam over straps for my DIY platforms so I won't and can't test them for that purpose. The Versa Strap and Versa Lite's are top notch.

I don’t have any of those other sticks, just LW’s with LW versa buttons (which I also used on my platform, which I don’t cam) so I can’t speak to those situations. I can, however, speak to my situation and this stuff is awesome for everything I tried to use it for.

Next in line is some 1” tubular webbing to make the steps for my gear hanger/aider/footrest combo.

Back